Could I have gotten a better deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:40 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Could I have gotten a better deal?

I'm in St. Louis and just ordered a tsx from Dave Mungenast. Great experience. I'm picky though and would like to have the 5sp manual, with navi, Black, with parchment interior. I'm fairly new to the negotiation process, though. Final order, had splash guards, spoiler, and 1,000 miles on our lease. Total was 29,587. Based on my calculations this car would retail for 29,678. But when you add in the lease miles it would retail for 30,078. I'm willing to wait a couple of months for them to find this car. Could I have gotten them to knock more off? By the way, they also do lifetime oil changes. Is this standard across the country? Emotionally I feel great, analytically I'm curious? Any feedback would be appreciated!!
Old 08-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. So I'm assuming the $29.6K price was before tax...you could have done better here in Chicago for sure, but down in St. Louis the market may be different. You paid straight MSRP. That's fine, it's a great car and worth MSRP for the exact car you want. If tax was included please point that out.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Could I have gotten a better deal?

Originally posted by aberry
I'm in St. Louis and just ordered a tsx from Dave Mungenast. Great experience. I'm picky though and would like to have the 5sp manual, with navi, Black, with parchment interior. I'm fairly new to the negotiation process, though. Final order, had splash guards, spoiler, and 1,000 miles on our lease. Total was 29,587. Based on my calculations this car would retail for 29,678. But when you add in the lease miles it would retail for 30,078. I'm willing to wait a couple of months for them to find this car. Could I have gotten them to knock more off? By the way, they also do lifetime oil changes. Is this standard across the country? Emotionally I feel great, analytically I'm curious? Any feedback would be appreciated!!
You paid more for the 5-sp. manual.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Re: Re: Could I have gotten a better deal?

Originally posted by swami
You paid more for the 5-sp. manual.
Yeah, it was an extra grand to cut out the 6th gear.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:42 AM
5th Gear

Tax, title, and tags were all included in that price.
Your right, I left out a gear! That's because when we test drove it, my wife was trying to figure out when she needed to shift to 6th gear. She was already going 85mph.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

...my wife was trying to figure out when she needed to shift to 6th gear. She was already going 85mph.
That's as good a time as any

Hope your wait isn't too long. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:33 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...my wife was trying to figure out when she needed to shift to 6th gear. She was already going 85mph.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's as good a time as any
Nope.. that's a good time to shift to 4th gear.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:54 AM
The extra b is for byobb

aberry,
I'm from st. louis too and first went to buy my tsx over at dave meugenstat or whatever. Those guys were the biggest bunch of douchebags i've ever dealt with. Don't deal with these people, the tried to rip me off on all kinds of shit and I finally was like "go fuck yourself" and walked out. I called dealerships within 4 hours of st. louis and found the nicest people at riverside acura in little rock. It was defanitely worth the drive. I got my 6mt + navi + splash guards + trunk tray for $28,100 (or whatever was $1,000 of msrp and I got the accesories for free). And i'm almost positive I could have gotten it cheaper too but I was too excited about the deal to try and knock any more off.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:26 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by phirenze
aberry,
I'm from st. louis too and first went to buy my tsx over at dave meugenstat or whatever. Those guys were the biggest bunch of douchebags i've ever dealt with. Don't deal with these people, the tried to rip me off on all kinds of shit and I finally was like "go fuck yourself" and walked out. I called dealerships within 4 hours of st. louis and found the nicest people at riverside acura in little rock. It was defanitely worth the drive. I got my 6mt + navi + splash guards + trunk tray for $28,100 (or whatever was $1,000 of msrp and I got the accesories for free). And i'm almost positive I could have gotten it cheaper too but I was too excited about the deal to try and knock any more off.
phirenze, thanks for the info. Who did you deal with at the mung? Here's the way I look at it, (which makes me feel better), My price was 29,587 and yours was 28,100. A savings of 1,487. It took you 4-4.5 hours both ways to drive and get your car. Are they delivering it also? I currently make $400/hr where I work, and my family is very important on the weekends. So if I calculate it that way i saved a hell of a lot more money. Plus, I have a dealer that I like that is going to do all the service on the car for the life of the car for free. And give me a loaner for use while they are doing it.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
The extra b is for byobb

aberry,
You are correct in your analysis. I am a college student so I make $0/an hour and sit on my ass at least 3-5 hours a day. I will also be leaving st. louis in a year when I go to medical school. Today for example I am taking my car to meugenstat for my 5,000 mile service. They are charging me $160 . It would have been free had I bought my car there. So for you, I say buy it here. I just needed to chime in and vent my frustration over that dealership. I'm sure they would have treated me a little better had I not been 21 also. Good luck - I hope to see you driving around. I've had my tsx 3 months and have only seen 2 others in the whole city, both in clayton. My territory is Delmar to Clayton rd between Skinker and Hanley. Just stay out of there and we'll ahve no problems.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by phirenze
aberry,
You are correct in your analysis. I am a college student so I make $0/an hour and sit on my ass at least 3-5 hours a day. I will also be leaving st. louis in a year when I go to medical school. Today for example I am taking my car to meugenstat for my 5,000 mile service. They are charging me $160 . It would have been free had I bought my car there. So for you, I say buy it here. I just needed to chime in and vent my frustration over that dealership. I'm sure they would have treated me a little better had I not been 21 also. Good luck - I hope to see you driving around. I've had my tsx 3 months and have only seen 2 others in the whole city, both in clayton. My territory is Delmar to Clayton rd between Skinker and Hanley. Just stay out of there and we'll ahve no problems.
I hope I didn't sound to uppity! I just spoke to the dealer he said that he would have it by september. I can't wait! I travel from Webster to Creve Ceour and cover most of west county. I'll honk when I see you. We go to the loop every now and then! Good luck to you as well. Have fun in med school also! I respect the few who are willing to endure that kind of training!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:32 PM
dez
I never post !!!

shit, where can I make $400 an HOUR ???

I'd have 2 TSX's, a few BMW's, a Hummer, and a few more exotics in my collection if I made THAT much an hour !!!

aberry, you hiring ???
Old 08-11-2003, 03:41 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by dez
shit, where can I make $400 an HOUR ???

I'd have 2 TSX's, a few BMW's, a Hummer, and a few more exotics in my collection if I made THAT much an hour !!!

aberry, you hiring ???
Hiring, yes! Work a 40 hour work week, no! Therefore, I do pretty good, but the freedom is more important to me then having several exotics in the garage! PM me if you're serious, I know someone in NJ who is looking for sharp people!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:13 AM
dez
I never post !!!

aberry, I PM'd you ... I'm IN NJ !!! And if it's more than 40 hours .. so be it ! I already work more than that now !!!

Let me know !