cop pulls you over and what do you do or say about your radar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:46 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jpt
No, Reach is right. In VA it's an automatic reckless if you're over a certain speed which depends on the speed limit. It's not a straight 15 or 25 over though, if the speed limit is 35 it's 60 and if it's 65 it's 80 are the only two i know and they are different in between. It is BS but that's what we get.

The courts really are that bad. If you don't bring an (expensive) lawyer you don't get even a chance to plea-bargain and you get no chance to really defend yourself in court even for the most patently BS charges.
7 points getting taken off the record is worth a lawyer to me.

PA, you have to double the posted speed for it to be wreckless driving. fines are doubled in a 65 mph zone though, so i think that means that 25mph over would be wreckless.

then again, if you think about it, the law isn't that unreasonable when it comes to speeds.

we can all argue that we're good drivers, and driving 80-90mph isn't that bad, but for MOST drivers, it is.
Old 02-01-2006 | 11:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CKcentral
^^
But this brings up a good discussion. Anyone been pulled over with a radar detector and get crap for it? I have gotten pulled over once with it, but I got away with a warning. Once in the 4 years I have had it.
Yes, same thing happened to me. I got pulled over for doing just under 70 in a 55. Cop gave me a whole speech about how my foot hitting the brake can't be faster than the speed of sound. Then he asked me how fast the speed of sound was. I said something like 700mph. Then he was like "huh? oh wait... i meant light, do you know how fast the speed of light is?" "do you think your foot is faster than light?".
It was kind of funny buy luckily i got away with a warning.
Old 02-01-2006 | 11:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I've had mixed results with being friendly to cops when pulled over. Anyway, if you want to be stealth about it, get a V1 and put the remote in the Not An Ashtray. Close it while you're pulling over and I'd say there's no way he knows you have it unless he has a detector-detector and your detector was unsuccessful in avoiding detection. (How's that for use of the word in a sentence?)
Funny you mention it... I got pulled over on Thanksgiving morning while driving home. The cop said he was pacing me and I was going too fast. When he was standing by my driver side, he noticed the V1 remote display unit by the instrument cluster. He asked if it was a radar detector. I said "no, it's a remote display". He then asked where I mounted the radar detector. I pointed up in the windshield and he still couldn't see it until he positioned his head inside the car. He then said my license plate cover was illegal (too dark). I thought... great. He took my driver's license back to his patrol car and minutes later, he let me go with a warning.

The remote display is now in the "not an ashtray" box.

Btw, I didn't have my front plate either (required in WA), but he didn't check.
Old 02-02-2006 | 01:44 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bradykp
I have a few friends who are police officers in PA (both State and local) as well as some in NJ. I just wanted to mention that one of the things cops like best is that when you get pulled over, you leave your hands where they can see them (usually i keep mine on the steering wheel until they get to the window) and, if it's dark, turn your interior lights on for them. always put your hazards on when you pull over too, as they could technically write this as a ticket (in pennsylvania at least).

bottom line is, if you make quick sudden movement to shut the door, it could agitate them, so make sure you do it before you pull over for him.

i've yet to receive a speeding ticket, although i've been pulled over a few times, and i make sure i do this all the time.

it allows them to feel comfortable approaching the car, and really just makes them be a little nicer to you (i'm sure there are exeptions to this, but it works for me).

Also you could turn the ignition off, and if you keep your insurance and registration in the glove compartment, ask if you could get it. The more comfortable they are, the least likely you're going to get ticketed. This is from my friends dad who is a state trooper in upstate NY. Worked for me several times.
Old 02-02-2006 | 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTso
Funny you mention it... I got pulled over on Thanksgiving morning while driving home. The cop said he was pacing me and I was going too fast. When he was standing by my driver side, he noticed the V1 remote display unit by the instrument cluster. He asked if it was a radar detector. I said "no, it's a remote display". He then asked where I mounted the radar detector. I pointed up in the windshield and he still couldn't see it until he positioned his head inside the car. He then said my license plate cover was illegal (too dark). I thought... great. He took my driver's license back to his patrol car and minutes later, he let me go with a warning.

The remote display is now in the "not an ashtray" box.

Btw, I didn't have my front plate either (required in WA), but he didn't check.
Where do you have your V1 positioned? Is it close to behind the mirror? I will be getting one of these soon i hope, and i will make use of the 'not an ashtray'.
Old 02-02-2006 | 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Where do you have your V1 positioned? Is it close to behind the mirror? I will be getting one of these soon i hope, and i will make use of the 'not an ashtray'.
Yes, I mount it high up next to the rear view mirror in total stealth mode.
Old 02-02-2006 | 11:18 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by webtek
Also you could turn the ignition off, and if you keep your insurance and registration in the glove compartment, ask if you could get it. The more comfortable they are, the least likely you're going to get ticketed. This is from my friends dad who is a state trooper in upstate NY. Worked for me several times.

COMPLETELY agree. i forgot about mentioning turning the ignition off, which is the very first thing i do! and yes, always tell him you're getting it out of the glove box.

i learned this when i was 18. got pulled over in a high crime area in allentown, i was the DD for some older friends. my wallet was in my back pocket, so when he asked for license, my hand went to my back pocket and the cop got a firmer stance and said something like "what are you reaching for!?"

i was like..."my wallet, i'm sorry"

got off with a warning for running a red light, and he didnt even care about the open container in the car. he was happy i was the DD and they were looking for new yorkers who were supposedly bringing guns to the area. the car had NY plates on it.
Old 02-03-2006 | 01:49 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

they normally dont ask anything; and if they comment on it tell them you wouldn't need it if pricks like them didn't fuck with u for 10 over the speed limit on a completely empty road. tell them to go catch some drunk drivers or people who are blatantly speeding (dangerous in excess of 100 or more) and leave me the fuck alone.
Old 02-03-2006 | 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
they normally dont ask anything; and if they comment on it tell them you wouldn't need it if pricks like them didn't fuck with u for 10 over the speed limit on a completely empty road. tell them to go catch some drunk drivers or people who are blatantly speeding (dangerous in excess of 100 or more) and leave me the fuck alone.
Well, thats one way to find yourself cuffed and sitting on the curb.
Old 02-03-2006 | 05:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

it's attitudes like this that result in cops acting like ass's to everyone.
Old 02-03-2006 | 08:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Reach
No, you'd have to drive this road to see the level of enforcement that goes on here on a daily basis. Unfortunatly I have to drive it every day to work. Its also the main route to get to the biggest airport in the DC area. I see people pulled over all the time for no more than 10 mph over. Out of state tags are most likely what got her the increased penalty. She's a very good (safe) driver who takes far less risks that I do, but she got screwed on this one.

jpt is right... fairfax cops will just plain bag you hard for what are generally considered light offenses, such as 'moderate' speeding <10mph over. pleading not guilty in court here can get you increased penalties if you lose and 'waist the courts time'. I really hate VA.
Funny thing is you can get away with some crazy stuff on the Beltway where 65-70 (speed limit 55) is the norm and you generally won't be pulled over.

Speeding on the Toll Road is a bad idea, but taking I66 inside the Belway during HOV hours is even worse. Everyday I go by the RT7 exit off I66 coming out of DC around 5PM and there's at least 2-3 cops writing as many tickets as they can to HOV violators. And this is not a once in a while thing - it's every single day - I've seen as many as 10 cars there at once getting tickets (with HOV violators going by and not being stopped since the cops already cought enough people). You'd fugure folks would get the idea after a while. Must be one of the best revenue spots for the county - talk about a TOLL road.
Old 02-04-2006 | 12:53 AM
Yui
Pro

www.k40.com

Calibre radar detection that's bluetooth based. Go check it out. All the cops will see are 2 LEDs on your dash that will only be lit when the system is letting you know it's detected radar usage.
Old 02-04-2006 | 07:31 AM
Advanced

Yeah, it definitely sounds like all the bad in your life is someone else's fault. When will everyone stop picking on you?

Don't worry, it gets better once you start acting like an adult.
Old 02-04-2006 | 08:48 AM
Drives With Hands

Connecticut bans them as well, FYI.
Old 02-04-2006 | 10:31 AM
Master Graphic Artist

They're perfectly fine over in the midwest. I'd actually use it as a defense against cops that pull me over for speeding. If my detector doesn't go off, and a cop is not speed matching me. When he pulls me over and asks "you know you were speeding back there?" I'd ask "oh really officer, can I please see the trap speed on your radar/laser?" and if they don't show it, I walk away with jack.
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:08 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
They're perfectly fine over in the midwest. I'd actually use it as a defense against cops that pull me over for speeding. If my detector doesn't go off, and a cop is not speed matching me. When he pulls me over and asks "you know you were speeding back there?" I'd ask "oh really officer, can I please see the trap speed on your radar/laser?" and if they don't show it, I walk away with jack.
unless they want to nail you for one of a dozen other things that they could if they wanted to
Old 02-04-2006 | 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yui
www.k40.com

Calibre radar detection that's bluetooth based. Go check it out. All the cops will see are 2 LEDs on your dash that will only be lit when the system is letting you know it's detected radar usage.
Care to give me $1000 so i can get this?
Old 02-04-2006 | 05:32 PM
Yui
Pro

Whoah, I hadn't seen the price on that. It's that much? Hm...
Old 02-04-2006 | 07:03 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

fairfax county cops

Originally Posted by bradykp
i'm sorry, i believe that you're telling me all you know, but if that's the case and she didn't argue it, then she wasn't too smart. despite what people believe, cops don't just go around arresting people for no valid reasons, yeah it happens, but 99% of the time, you did something wrong and deserved it.

if he gave her wreckless driving, he must have told her what she was doing wrong, and it couldn't have been simply that she was driving 15mph over the speed limit. if it was, then she's a putz for not fighting it in court. especially 7 points! that'll take like....4 years to go away.

again, something isn't right with this story.
fairfax and vienna cops are definitely this ridiculous; they have that false sense of superiority that everyone talks about, but it's BAD here.
Old 02-04-2006 | 07:35 PM
Intermediate

ohio

I originally had one of these radar detectors, didn't work worth crap..so i threw it away.

Oh and Ohio cops are the worst! I almost wish the crime rate would go up so they could quit giving me a speeding ticket every time i drive home to visit!...all they do is hang out around blind turns and stuff like that, waiting to nail you for going 5 mph over the speed limit on an empty road.
Old 02-04-2006 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hammer098
I originally had one of these radar detectors, didn't work worth crap..so i threw it away.

Oh and Ohio cops are the worst! I almost wish the crime rate would go up so they could quit giving me a speeding ticket every time i drive home to visit!...all they do is hang out around blind turns and stuff like that, waiting to nail you for going 5 mph over the speed limit on an empty road.
Which one did you have?
Old 02-04-2006 | 09:14 PM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by rmpage
Connecticut bans them as well, FYI.
Connecticut's anti-radar-detector law was repealed in 1998, and all the signs along the highways were taken down. RDs are now legal in Connecticut.

No need to turn it off in CT anymore
Old 02-04-2006 | 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hammer098

haha they must just like you...i have been living in ohio all my life and only had one speeding ticket before my radar detector.....no problems since.
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:58 PM
Yui
Pro

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/06/k...ser-protection

According to these guys it's like $1.5k. Whoah.