Cool. Drive Chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. Drive Chain

I learned something about the TSX engine today while at the Acura dealer. Not my salesperson but some other dude who handles the contracts said that the TSX uses a drive chain--as opposed to a drive belt that Accords have had.

(The Accord's drive belt is perhaps one of the most critical parts of the engine. If it breaks, the cylinder heads crash and can destroy the engine.)

On the other hand, the drive chain, it much more durable. It doesn't stretch like a belt can.

I was amazed at the TSX's maintenance schedule. Besides oil and filter changes, it's mostly verifying fluid levels. The tyres and coolant seem to be the next busiest maintenance items.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Racer

Re: Cool. Drive Chain

Originally posted by Brad
I learned something about the TSX engine today while at the Acura dealer. Not my salesperson but some other dude who handles the contracts said that the TSX uses a drive chain--as opposed to a drive belt that Accords have had.

(The Accord's drive belt is perhaps one of the most critical parts of the engine. If it breaks, the cylinder heads crash and can destroy the engine.)

On the other hand, the drive chain, it much more durable. It doesn't stretch like a belt can.

I was amazed at the TSX's maintenance schedule. Besides oil and filter changes, it's mostly verifying fluid levels. The tyres and coolant seem to be the next busiest maintenance items.
yup, pretty cool. it makes it so much easier for us "do it yourselfers". but hey, we'll take a challenage anytime.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:59 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cool. Drive Chain

I believe you mean the timing chain? Unlike timing belts , the chain wont require adjustments. The RSX is the same way.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Cool. Drive Chain

Originally posted by fdl
I believe you mean the timing chain? Unlike timing belts , the chain wont require adjustments. The RSX is the same way.
Yes, drive train, timing chain. Eeeeks. Whichever it is, it's a metal chain on the TSX--according to the dude (don't know his title) a the dealership.

Can anyone verify this, please??? I don't have my car yet.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Audi Driving Snob

All the i-vtec motors use timing chains..... supposedly i-vtec requires the precision and self adjusting a timing chain offers. I don't know the tech specs on exactly how that works though. The j30 in the accord v6 is not i-vtec so it uses the more common timing belt.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:09 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Cool. Drive Chain

Can anyone verify this, please??? I don't have my car yet.
I can verify that the TSX definately has a timing chain, as opposed to a timing belt. I don't think there is a such a thing as a drive chain in a car ... only in bikes, etc. Cars use drive shafts.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know what the interval is for maintenace or replacement of the timing chain in the TSX? I'm sure its in my manual. I know the timing belt's should be replaced every 100,000 miles or 160,000m km. Don't know the story behind chains.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Advanced

OK , I checked my Canadian manual and it says "Inspect every 30,000 miles(48,000km) or 2 years" Strangely it says "Drive belt", but of couse this can't be true since I know you have to replace the belt as per my previous post. It does not mention replacement, even at 180,000 miles or 288,000 km. Anyone know the scoop behind this?

Another thing I noticed is that the manual asks that the oil be changed every 8000 k, but the filter at 16 K? At my first service the dealer told me they replaced both; I wonder if they really did? One thing is for sure, this car does not need a lot of maintenance. Air filter at 24,000 km, MT fluid every 96,000 km, Spark Plugs at 176,000 km, engine coolant at 192,000 km, brake fluid every 3 yrs, and this is all at severe conditions.

Realistically Acura could do a 3 yr maintenece schedule like some of its competitors and it wouldn't cost them much at all.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cool. Drive Chain

Originally posted by fdl
I don't think there is a such a thing as a drive chain in a car ... only in bikes, etc. Cars use drive shafts.
Do you mean that the cool set of pedals on the floor below the steering column aren't pedals for the drive chain? Me bad.

My first car (pre-Kindergarten) had pedals that the feet engaged and pushed around and around and around. It was one mean "Dude Wagon".

Thanks for the confirmation. The timing belt on many other cars--including many Accords--required proactive preventative replacement generally before any symptoms would appear, something like every six years or 90,000 miles. Locally, it costed me $400-500 dollars for timing belt replacement.

It sounds like the TSX is relatively low maintenance!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 35kcdn
OK , I checked my Canadian manual and it says "Inspect every 30,000 miles(48,000km) or 2 years" Strangely it says "Drive belt", but of couse this can't be true since I know you have to replace the belt as per my previous post. It does not mention replacement, even at 180,000 miles or 288,000 km. Anyone know the scoop behind this?
The business manager at the dealer told me that the timing chain was extremely durable and he wasn't aware of it needing replacement.

Always replace the oil filter and the oil at the same time. My TSX's manual sez every 10,000 miles (sorry, don't know how many kms.), but I think that's a bunch of hooey. At a minimum I would suggest every 5,000 miles, but my personal practice is to change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles. My cars' engines have lasted me a lonnnnnnnnng time with simple ordinary oil changes. I do my own oil changes. Maybe it's my imagination, but the engine always seems to purr extra nicely after changes.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:35 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Drive belts, timing belts, and timing chains are all different things.

Drive belts are the externally visible belts powering the alternator, A/C compressor, etc. They are the ones referred to in the owner's manual.

Timing belts and timing chains serve the same purpose- to keep the valves properly "timed" to the pistons (camshaft to crankshaft timing).

Since timing belts are made of rubber, they can break when severely worn, so they are usually replaced around 90,000 miles (more or less, depending on manufacturer recommendations).

Timing chains have no service interval. They should last the life of the engine because unlike belts, timing chains don't break. They do, however, stretch.

What does this mean for you? It means you don't have to plop down hundreds of dollars every 90,000 miles to have a timing belt replaced!