Consumer Reports 2005 Auto Preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports 2005 Auto Preview

I know everyone here is a big fan of CR. On the newsstand today I saw their 2005 preview publication with an Arctic Blue TSX right there on the cover. I suppose this is good. Unfortunately, they still have the same capsule summary that was in their 2004 car issue where they called it a "pleasant car with a sporty pretense". Pretense means without basis in fact.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Drifting

They probably think TSX is about 50 hp short of sporty (without pretense)..
Old 11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
ric
Safety Car

Consumer reports:

Vacuum cleaners, washing machines: +
it's not your family car automobiles: -
Old 11-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Boy Genius

Originally Posted by Montag
"pleasant car with a sporty pretense"
TSX is a great automobile and its engine and suspension tuning are terrific for what it's got, but it's no sports car, nor was it meant to be. That said, the CR review is still quite good towards the TSX, without a lot of the other accusations and insinuating pretenses that CR sometimes makes claiming that they know what's best for you.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought CR did a fine review of the TSX, very balanced. I was a bit disturbed by their horrible 0-60 numbers.

I'm on the CR chat board all the time. The auto editors have fairly positive comments about the TSX, although they seem to thing the Accord is a better buy.

If you look at their rating tables, the only recommended cars rated higer than the TSX (TL, BMW 330i) cost a heck of a lot more.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

That's what kind of irritated me. The lukewarm capsule summary that I quoted was in the 2004 new car issue published before they did the full review. Then the review itself was pretty good but they still have the same weak-sounding summary in the 2005 preview. I thought they might make it a bit more positive.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 AM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Surprised to see the TSX on the cover, and a little dismayed ... the secret is definitely out now. Also took minor objection to the "pretense" wording, as my general feeling about CR is they have a bit of pretense in terms of auto evaluation. They have what seems to be biases about certain brands, both positive and negative. Amazing how all those owners of $60-$90,000 Mercedes are foolishly purchasing such unreliable cars.
The Suzuki Samarai incident of a few years ago just kinda cemented in my mind that CR has an axe to grind, as did a comment about a certain car "having too much power". Too much power? For many car guys, too much is not enough.

CR should stick to microwaves and blenders. Well, maybe that's too harsh. I do read their yearly compendium, but one has to take it with a grain of salt, and use it as just one of many sources of info to assist in a car purchase.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I'm on the CR chat board all the time. The auto editors have fairly positive comments about the TSX, although they seem to thing the Accord is a better buy.
Honestly, my Dad just bought an Accord V6, and I must say I was very favorably surprised. I definitely believe now the AV6 is a good value. Only, the styling is so subjective...
Old 11-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Instructor

There's no doubt that the Accord V6 is a good value, especially with that engine. If only the exterior design was more like the TSX, I would've bought it. It was my first choice (coupe) before I discovered the TSX.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by nagidizy
CR should stick to microwaves and blenders. Well, maybe that's too harsh. I do read their yearly compendium, but one has to take it with a grain of salt, and use it as just one of many sources of info to assist in a car purchase.

They are a good resource for reliability and practicality, but that's about it. They also clearly have an agenda that needs to be considered when one reads their reviews.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878

They are a good resource for reliability and practicality, but that's about it. They also clearly have an agenda that needs to be considered when one reads their reviews.
On the other hand, reading their reviews of the Corvette, for example, provide one with great comic relief.........
Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by ric
On the other hand, reading their reviews of the Corvette, for example, provide one with great comic relief.........
"Headlights had good intensity, but projected a short distance. Parents with small children should be advised that there are no LATCH anchors in the back seat, for the back seat doesn't exist. Interior storage space is spartan, with no areas for juice boxes."
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by sauceman
Honestly, my Dad just bought an Accord V6, and I must say I was very favorably surprised. I definitely believe now the AV6 is a good value. Only, the styling is so subjective...
A lot of people come to an agreement that the AV6 is worht its money as soon as they drive one.

The styling is a different story..
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcg878
"Headlights had good intensity, but projected a short distance. Parents with small children should be advised that there are no LATCH anchors in the back seat, for the back seat doesn't exist. Interior storage space is spartan, with no areas for juice boxes."
Scandalous!!!! NOT a car for the Kiddies or the K-Mart run!

Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
6 speed yo!

Originally Posted by ric
Scandalous!!!! NOT a car for the Kiddies or the K-Mart run!

lol, the back seat is big (well.....coming from an integra) all my friends fit fine but again....there asian.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Not an Ashtray

Surprised to see the TSX on the cover, and a little dismayed ... the secret is definitely out now. Also took minor objection to the "pretense" wording, as my general feeling about CR is they have a bit of pretense in terms of auto evaluation. They have what seems to be biases about certain brands, both positive and negative. Amazing how all those owners of $60-$90,000 Mercedes are foolishly purchasing such unreliable cars.
The Suzuki Samarai incident of a few years ago just kinda cemented in my mind that CR has an axe to grind, as did a comment about a certain car "having too much power". Too much power? For many car guys, too much is not enough.

What about the Suzuki Samarai thing convinced you that "CR has an axe to grind?" They simply reported their results. Suzuki then took them to court, but the case got thrown out with no support. CR showed us, in that incident, that they believe in the validity of their test results and are willing to go to court to back them up.

I read there car reviews very closely, and find them to be very balanced and accurate.

And, btw, they did level some criticisms at the TSX in their evaluation (ride comfort, headlight performance) all of which I think are dead accurate.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
ric
Safety Car

CR's Summary statement:
The TSX is Acura's entry-level sedan, and uses the same platform as the RSX coupe. It's not as exciting to drive as the best sports sedans, but it is agile and adequately roomy. The ride is a bit too firm. The powertrain is very smooth, and the four-cylinder engine provides good fuel economy. It offers a slick manual or automatic transmission. The interior has intuitive controls and impressive fit and finish. The rear seat is not that roomy. The optional navigation system is easy to use. The TSX is a pleasant car with a sporty pretense that avoids being branded a family sedan. It outscored the A4 1.8T by a narrow margin in a recent CR test.

and CR's commentary from their road test:Highs: Engine and transmission, handling, driving position, controls, fit and finish, crash-test results.
Lows: Ride, turning circle, requires premium fuel.

The Acura TSX is a well-rounded package that provides a good mix of performance, sportiness, and luxurious amenities. It's not as exciting to drive as the best sports sedans, but it is agile and adequately roomy. The powertrain is very smooth, and the four-cylinder engine provides good fuel economy. The interior has intuitive controls and impressive fit and finish, but the ride is a bit too firm.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The TSX has a taut ride, with fairly pronounced impacts. Ride motions are short and quick, making the car a bit jittery, but the highway ride is more composed. Engine and wind noise are muted, but tire rumble is pronounced on some coarse surfaces. The TSX is more nimble than some competing models, such as the Audi A4 and Volvo S40, but not quite as agile as, say, the Subaru Legacy GT. The TSX's steering is responsive, communicative, and well-weighted. The car has little body lean in corners, but its 40-foot turning circle is a bit wide. On our handling course, the TSX was secure and predictable at its limits, helped by its standard electronic stability control (ESC). It posted a fast speed in our avoidance maneuver. The 200-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine revs smoothly and provides adequate performance, while delivering 23 mpg overall on premium fuel. The five-speed automatic transmission shifts very smoothly and has a manual shift feature. Braking performance was very good overall. The HID low beams reach a limited distance and have a sharp visual cutoff that can further reduce their range on undulations. The halogen high beams reach a long distance and have very good intensity.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The TSX has a nicely detailed, well-assembled cabin consisting of quality materials. The tilt and telescoping steering wheel helps all drivers find a comfortable driving position with good visibility. The interior is a bit snug. The power seats are firm and supportive, but some drivers needed more lower-back support. The rear seats offer sufficient leg room but lack thigh support. Access to the front seats is very easy, but the low roof impedes rear access. The controls are logically placed and lighted at night, and the navigation system is very intuitive. Reaching the dimmer control is a bit difficult. Cabin storage is modest. There are two sturdy cup holders in front and a sturdy flip-down pair in the rear. The 60/40-split rear seats fold to expand the trunk.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 AM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by darth62
What about the Suzuki Samarai thing convinced you that "CR has an axe to grind?" They simply reported their results. [snip ...]

Some time after the Suzuki Samarai test came out, video footage of CR testing the Samarai was somehow released to the public. It showed CR staff attempting to get the Samarai to "tip up onto two wheels", again and again and again and again. Trying and trying to get it to demonstrate the behavior they wanted to publicize, to no avail. Not one test, not two tests, but test after test, with no success, much to the consternation of the CR staffers on tape. Finally, they got the Samarai to go up onto two wheels, and the CR staffers let out a cheer ... for finally being able to say that it was unstable. This was no unbiased test of the vehicle's stability, it was a determined and protracted effort to stack the deck.
Just so you know, I have no fondness for the Suzuki Samarai, as a matter of fact, I pretty much loathe SUVs in general. But fair is fair.
I also recall the testing they used to do for "emergency handling" ... they'd drive the car at 60 or 70 down a highway, yank the steering wheel as hard as they could to one side, and let go! "Let's see what it does." Well, what the heck do you think it'll do, idiots? I don't know about you, but I don't make it a practice to yank the steering to the left or right at highway speeds and then let go completely. I suppose they thought this measured "self-centering" or something, but one might imagine there are better methods of testing emergency handling.

Or take a look at their current issues' figures on "Avoidance maneuver, max. mph" for several vehicles.

Buick Freaking Park Avenue 51.0
Lexus RX330 52.0
Scion xA 52.0
Honda Insight 52.0
Acura TSX 52.5
Land Rover Freelander 52.5
Dodge Neon SXT 53.0

Yup, that places the TSX way up in the rarified air of handling. And BTW, this is what CR says about the Honda Insight, within a hair of the TSX on the CR handling metric above: " ... It rides stiffly, handles less than nimbly ...". So I guess the barely-better-than-Insight TSX also would handle "less than nimbly" too?

I reiterate: CR's judgement and methodology on cars should be taken with caution. If there is a preponderance of evidence, supplemented by info from CR, believe it. But don't necessarily believe it, if it comes only from CR.

Remember, CR wasn't exactly founded by car enthusiasts, and I'm betting their readership base isn't overly skewed with "car guys". I'm willing to wager that the CR readership is more of the "car as appliance" mentality, with some exceptions to be sure. IMHO, of course ...
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Ok, lets get one thing straight.

CR is not about racing cars and getting great stats. They are about providing information to an audience.

In the case of the Honda S2000 and others, they drive them fairly aggressively as most of the market would do so.

For the TSX, lets face it, for every enthusiast out there, you'll probably have 10 or 15 who drive it gently and would never consider pushing it past 6/10ths.

So if you don't like CR's review of the TSX, tough cookies as they reviewed it just how they should.

Oh and I hate to break it to you, but the TSX is no sports car. With that said, its still among my favorite top 10 cars.

I think some of you could use a good dose of reality.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Not an Ashtray

Some time after the Suzuki Samarai test came out, video footage of CR testing the Samarai was somehow released to the public. It showed CR staff attempting to get the Samarai to "tip up onto two wheels", again and again and again and again. Trying and trying to get it to demonstrate the behavior they wanted to publicize, to no avail. Not one test, not two tests, but test after test, with no success, much to the consternation of the CR staffers on tape. Finally, they got the Samarai to go up onto two wheels, and the CR staffers let out a cheer ... for finally being able to say that it was unstable. This was no unbiased test of the vehicle's stability, it was a determined and protracted effort to stack the deck.
Just so you know, I have no fondness for the Suzuki Samarai, as a matter of fact, I pretty much loathe SUVs in general. But fair is fair.
I also recall the testing they used to do for "emergency handling" ... they'd drive the car at 60 or 70 down a highway, yank the steering wheel as hard as they could to one side, and let go! "Let's see what it does." Well, what the heck do you think it'll do, idiots? I don't know about you, but I don't make it a practice to yank the steering to the left or right at highway speeds and then let go completely. I suppose they thought this measured "self-centering" or something, but one might imagine there are better methods of testing emergency handling.

Or take a look at their current issues' figures on "Avoidance maneuver, max. mph" for several vehicles.

Buick Freaking Park Avenue 51.0
Lexus RX330 52.0
Scion xA 52.0
Honda Insight 52.0
Acura TSX 52.5
Land Rover Freelander 52.5
Dodge Neon SXT 53.0

Yup, that places the TSX way up in the rarified air of handling. And BTW, this is what CR says about the Honda Insight, within a hair of the TSX on the CR handling metric above: " ... It rides stiffly, handles less than nimbly ...". So I guess the barely-better-than-Insight TSX also would handle "less than nimbly" too?

I reiterate: CR's judgement and methodology on cars should be taken with caution. If there is a preponderance of evidence, supplemented by info from CR, believe it. But don't necessarily believe it, if it comes only from CR.

Remember, CR wasn't exactly founded by car enthusiasts, and I'm betting their readership base isn't overly skewed with "car guys". I'm willing to wager that the CR readership is more of the "car as appliance" mentality, with some exceptions to be sure. IMHO, of course ...

I'm sorry, but I think you are quite incorrect about that Suzuki situation.

I followed that case very carefully. I never saw any video of that nature. In fact, the court throw that case out becasue they found no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that CR had faked data. So, if this magical video you are describing really did exist, why did the court rule that Suzuki's claim was without merit?

What basically happened here is that CR fairly evaluated a vehicle, found it unsafe, and reported the information to their subscribers. Suzuki then attempted to sue to save their butts, and the courts ruled that Suzuki's liable claims were without merit.

You've distorted almost every detail regarding that particular case.

As for the emergency handling course, you are misinterpreting their numbers. The speed through the avoidance course is not an absolute test of handling and a number of different factors go into it, including vehicle size, nature of the VSA system, etc. That number doesn't mean at all what you think it does and it isn't the main factor that goes into CR's handling ratings (and, incidently, the TSX's overall handling was rated higher than any of the vehicles you list above).

Last comment: I subscribe to the CR site, and I'm interact with the CR auto editors every month. They are most certainly "car guys." Each of them has a graduate degree in Engineering, and they are all auto enthusiasts. They each know more about cars than you are I ever will, and they test those vehicles with more objectivity and rigor than anybody else out there. Each time I've asked them anything, I've found them to be extremely balanced, very informed, and very objective.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Cruisin'

Here is the Suzuki vid
http://www.cnn.com/US/9704/22/suzuki.cu/suzuki.21.mov
Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Babassboy
47 attempts huh...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned