coasting in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:00 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
However, in case you choose to come back down from your ivory tower, you should know that not everyone here makes 20k/year on their car.

If I was to drive around carelessly, I would use as much as 25% more gas. If I was to buy all of my gas where I live (and not in Vt), I would pay another additionnal 25-30%.
Sorry, just thought the debate could use a little levity.

I think you're right, if you drove carelessly (or heavy-footed), you'd burn a lot more gas -- 25% is probably right. In my opinion, however, not coasting down hills doesn't make you a careless lead foot and, in itself, likely saves you next to nothing in gasoline. Driving, accelerating, and braking gently are likely what save you that 25%.

You're the gas-mileage guru, though, so maybe over 90k kms you see a real savings from coasting. Just doesn't sound like much to me vs. rolling down a hill in "D". I do wonder what the mechanical trade-off is in terms of longevity, esp. if you driving that many kms/year. And, while the likelihood is low that an unsafe condition actually emerges in front of you, the likelihood that you'll be better off in neutral than in gear is zero. Seems like a bad tradeoff to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
Probably because there could be situations where neutral could become a necessity, like if you ran out of gas.
If you car dies while you are moving the only way to restart it (without pulling over and stopping) is to put it into neutral and crank it. Never had to do that with my TSX but the old Dodge Dart did it once a week.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
Sorry, just thought the debate could use a little levity.

I think you're right, if you drove carelessly (or heavy-footed), you'd burn a lot more gas -- 25% is probably right. In my opinion, however, not coasting down hills doesn't make you a careless lead foot and, in itself, likely saves you next to nothing in gasoline. Driving, accelerating, and braking gently are likely what save you that 25%.

You're the gas-mileage guru, though, so maybe over 90k kms you see a real savings from coasting. Just doesn't sound like much to me vs. rolling down a hill in "D". I do wonder what the mechanical trade-off is in terms of longevity, esp. if you driving that many kms/year. And, while the likelihood is low that an unsafe condition actually emerges in front of you, the likelihood that you'll be better off in neutral than in gear is zero. Seems like a bad tradeoff to me.
Like I said, until someone proves me wrong by getting the same 42.8mpg (US) without coasting down, I don't see why you should put into doubt what I am saying. After all, I've tried it extensively while you haven't. And I have the numbers.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jlukja
If you car dies while you are moving the only way to restart it (without pulling over and stopping) is to put it into neutral and crank it. Never had to do that with my TSX but the old Dodge Dart did it once a week.
Just don't try that when the timing belt dies on you.. :insertappriopriatesmiliehere:

Old 12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Banned

The question is quite simply - totally idiotic. Might as well shift into N and turn off the fxcking engine.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

^
Old 12-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I would never be driving a car coasting in neutral, MT or AT. Too many things can happen that require split-second throttle control. Really, you're going to save gasoline by rolling along in neutral? Are you going to save on your brake pads, too, by holding your hand out the window and flapping it forward before you stop?
Amen to that . . . .What happens if you're coasting and some a-hole on the road pulls a move that requires you to accelerate or whatever . . . .You're screwed tooling around in neutral . . . .Not a smart move . . .besides how much are you saving in gas?????? Maybe you guys on the west coast take a different appraoch to driving, but i could say for the 20 plus years I had a MT the only times I coasted in neutral was coming to a red light or stop sign and no one was in front of me . . . .Keep it in gear.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Neutral

I was taught from when I was ye-high that a gas engine is designed to always have some load on it. I avoid neutral wherever possible. I've only used it durring an emergency when the throttle plate iced over and got stuck WOT and would not release on a previous car.

Comment from the dealer: You houldn't have done that, you might have damaged the engine/valve-stems whatever. Well I might have been killed.... The valve stems/thingamagigs can be replaced. My head/spleen/ribs can't.

I can think of a number of reasons neutral seems bad:

1) So if you're in neutral at high speeds and you forget do you slam past the redline ?

2) What about the rate of throttle change possible when the engine is in neutral. this can't be good for the engine. All momentum put in must now leave through engine internals rather than drivetrain friction.

2a) are there vibrational/mechanical harmonics with the unloaded engine ?

3) What does this do with the balance shafts internal parts that were tuned to operate under +ve load ?

4) Same as 3 but what happens in terms of mechanical stress/torque instantaneous on the drive shaft engine parts when you try to reengage from 0 or negative load to some gear ?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by crfortin
I was taught from when I was ye-high that a gas engine is designed to always have some load on it. I avoid neutral wherever possible. I've only used it durring an emergency when the throttle plate iced over and got stuck WOT and would not release on a previous car.

Comment from the dealer: You houldn't have done that, you might have damaged the engine/valve-stems whatever. Well I might have been killed.... The valve stems/thingamagigs can be replaced. My head/spleen/ribs can't.

I can think of a number of reasons neutral seems bad:

1) So if you're in neutral at high speeds and you forget do you slam past the redline ?

2) What about the rate of throttle change possible when the engine is in neutral. this can't be good for the engine. All momentum put in must now leave through engine internals rather than drivetrain friction.

2a) are there vibrational/mechanical harmonics with the unloaded engine ?

3) What does this do with the balance shafts internal parts that were tuned to operate under +ve load ?

4) Same as 3 but what happens in terms of mechanical stress/torque instantaneous on the drive shaft engine parts when you try to reengage from 0 or negative load to some gear ?
In what way is it different than letting the car idle at a traffic light? Also, in what way is getting back into gear (granted, the right one) any different than downshifting without rev-matching?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM
No-navi, yo

Lesson

If you are putting around ~80k or more milage on your car annaully, and trying to get 40 MPG efficiency, by all means, coast in neutral all you want.

However, if you are like most of the drivers who are getting about 30 MPG, I could not see any significant benefits of coasting in neutral. Seriously, if you want to do that, you might as well shut off the engine and let the car roll, but just remember to give yourself extra one and two seconds to start the car before getting back into gear when you need to regain the control of the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
If you are putting around ~80k or more milage on your car annaully, and trying to get 40 MPG efficiency, by all means, coast in neutral all you want.

However, if you are like most of the drivers who are getting about 30 MPG, I could not see any significant benefits of coasting in neutral. Seriously, if you want to do that, you might as well shut off the engine and let the car roll, but just remember to give yourself extra one and two seconds to start the car before getting back into gear when you need to regain the control of the car.
Obviously...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkozlow3
Not terribly likely to happen....BUT, what if you're coasting in neutral on a semi-flat surface and something fell off the back of a truck in front of you and it was rolling toward you (a steel tube, a tire, etc)?

You'd probably be much better off accelerating out of the way rather than braking and letting the rolling object fly into your car.

Just a thought.
Whatever happened to "Brake and Avoid" which is taught in driving school. This sounds like accelerate and get hit harder.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
I disagree.

If you shut off the engine you lose all the power assist (brakes, steering).

If you are coasting in neutral down a hill you are just one flick of the wrist away from being in gear (without clutching). Its no different than coasting down the hill in 6th gear in an MT. If you need to do any kind of hard acceleration to avoid a situation then 6th gear isn't going to do it for you. And, I submit that, the time it takes a person to downshift from 6th gear is the same as it would take me to shift from N to D.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by jlukja
I disagree.

If you shut off the engine you lose all the power assist (brakes, steering).

If you are coasting in neutral down a hill you are just one flick of the wrist away from being in gear (without clutching). Its no different than coasting down the hill in 6th gear in an MT. If you need to do any kind of hard acceleration to avoid a situation then 6th gear isn't going to do it for you. And, I submit that, the time it takes a person to downshift from 6th gear is the same as it would take me to shift from N to D.
And you don't think just be wary of the surrounding environment and be anticipated for emergeny to happen could give one enough time (a few sec) to regain the control the driver needs? I mean, you already decided to lose SOME control by putting the car in neurtal. Might as well go all out on this.

I think most people (including myself) in this thread is saying, there are many sound and reasonable ways to increase the MPG, like don't jack rabbit start, or keep at constant speed. Sauce has more knowledge in this. Though, coasting in neutral should be the last option, if you were trying to get 40 MPG (which, I repeat, by all means, coast in neutral all you want).
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What you guys seem to fail to realize is that in order to use this technique well, you need to be way more concentrated on your driving than just casual cruising.

Concentrated and lots of anticipation. Therefore, the so-called security issues (though in reality nearly non-existant) are more than offset by the good driving habits required to do this well.

It's all moot. You need to do it to know what you're talking about.