Clear bra diy possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
White-Ebony-6spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra diy possible?

I'm getting some mixed reviews from some people about installing it themselves. Some people suggest not playing around and take it to a shop to get it professionally installed while the other half claims that it takes a lot of time and patience but it's definitely doable. The hood and fender parts are a piece of cake but the bumper requires two people and stretching the material about an inch for proper fitment. As you know our paint isn't exactly the best and I bought my car new and 700 miles later found 5-6 chips already Any pics, suggestions and advices would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sure with enough patience it is doable, but what's the cost of a mistake? you probably have to buy a new clear bra and start all over right? i think this is one of those areas where it's worth paying a professional (or anyone with enough experience doing it) to install it so that it's done right.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
When I purchased my 06 TSX, I thought I would try the clear bra thing myself. How hard could it be? I started out small and purchased a pre-cut kit just for the headlights. After reading the instructions, I realized certain things are best left to the professionals. Besides, there is nothing worst than a bad do-it-your-self job (bad aftermarket body kits, purple window tint with air bubbles, repainting your car from a can, etc..)

Having the A-spec kit, I had to go with a custom install for the front end (side mirrors), headlights and fogs instead of a pre-cut kit. It took them ½ day to put it on and it has a 5 year warranty on the 3M film. I’m planning on keeping my TSX for +5 years; the $400 for installation was an investment. Plus living in New Mexico, this is the sand blowing capital of the USA (especially starting in Spring). The front end of my Honda Accord without a clear bra looks like Edward James Olmos face.

You can wait on rims, suspension upgrades, Hondata reflash, and CAIs; but I wouldn’t wait on a Clear Bra. After 12,000 miles, my front end still looks new.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i regret not getting it. after we get some paint fixes due to some scratches, i might consider getting it. haven't decided yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
5th Gear

just get a heat gun and it makes all the difference. I put it on my TSX (hood, bumper, fenders, headlights and side mirrors) and everything is perfect. Since then I have put the kit on a 4Runner, 06 Civic, and 07 Civic. For the price you pay for installs you could purchase 2 full kits for your ride. The hardest part of the install is the bumper, everything else is really simple.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xkwzt21
just get a heat gun and it makes all the difference. I put it on my TSX (hood, bumper, fenders, headlights and side mirrors) and everything is perfect. Since then I have put the kit on a 4Runner, 06 Civic, and 07 Civic. For the price you pay for installs you could purchase 2 full kits for your ride. The hardest part of the install is the bumper, everything else is really simple.

You're probably the exception to the rule because you probably pay close attention to detail. You really have to be pretty patient with these sort of things. I have no doubt in my mind if I tried, I would F it up.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Instructor

By the way, you only get the 5year warranty/guarantee IF YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED BY A CERTIFIED 3M CLEARBRA DEALER.

Ask first if they are certified. If they pull off the crap on the some lines of, "Oh, certification doesn't matter, I've done it for 5 years" bullcrap, walk away. You're not paying 3-400 of your hard earned greens to have it done by an amateur. If that is the case, do it yourself. My

If you're a do it yourselfer, and not certified, the warranty is non existent. So if it peels off or gets wrinkly and crap, then you're down 300 dollars.

I have it on my hood and mirrors, but the bumper costs 400 dollars. I just put clear tape on it for now to protect it as long as possible... It doesn't look that bad actually......
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Racer

I bought and had my clear-bra installed right away...two days after purchase.
I installed my headlight kit myself and it was as easy as sticking on a band-aid...hood, fenders and mirrors should be very easy, but I wouldn't want to try the bumper...would probably drop it and get dirt all stuck in it...that is if I don't accidently stick it to itself first

My question is, how does the paint hold up on the plastic bumper? I know it chips easy on the hood and fenders, but the front facia should do better...it always has on all my other Hondas and Acuras.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
There was a site with instructions on how to install it. It installed much like tint but you use an alcohol solution to stick the film to the car after you get it in the right place. It does involve some stretching since the pre-cut parts seem to be just a tid smaller then they need to be. Google it, maybe you can find it. It didn't look that easy to me, unless you have some tinting experience.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daffunda
If you're a do it yourselfer, and not certified, the warranty is non existent. So if it peels off or gets wrinkly and crap, then you're down 300 dollars.
If my DIY job needs to be redone, it's not all that tragic -- the whole thing cost about $75 dollars. And that was 3M film. So, I'd be out more of my time than anything else.

Although, to make things a bit easier on myself, I only got the pieces for the hood, fender corners, and mirrors, but not anything for the bumper. I do have a couple of good nicks in the front bumper, but personally, I don't care as much about the plastic.

This is a really tough job. I didn't use a heat gun. Maybe I should have? It takes patience because you really have to stretch the film, and it takes a while to develop a feel for what you're doing.

And in the end, my job wasn't nearly perfect. There are some obvious flaws, but you pretty much have to stand next to the car to get close enough to notice. I personally think it's Good Enough, but those of you who are more anal about these things should just cough up your $500 and take it to someone experienced.