Clear Bra around Boston ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clear Bra around Boston ?

Greetings All ! This is my first post, but i've been addicted to the forum since i signed the sale 2 days ago. Thanks to everyone who contributes! The info and discussions are incredible, priceless.

Now to my question. The thought of NOT putting a clear bra on my new ride terrifies me. Not only for road debris but to protect against the millions and millions of peops who can't parallel park. So has anyone had this done in the Boston area? Someone, somewhere mentioned Eastern Glass Tinting Co., but anyone know of anywhere else? I'd like to call around and get some prices, and hopefully convince my cheap azz not to attempt it myself!

Cheers
Old 04-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Luke 1:37

I was the one who mentioned Eastern Glass Tinting. Though I have not gotten the clear bra installed by them, the same guy who installs them also installs window tint and he is definitely a pro. I've taken my Integra and TSX there, plus recommended others to there. Nothing but the best quality install and material. Here you go: http://www.ppfilm.com/
Old 04-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Instructor

For 200 bucks! That's pretty sweet. Here in VA I get quotes at $1,000...hence why i have not yet purchased a kit. My poor car...
Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bootlegged
For 200 bucks! That's pretty sweet. Here in VA I get quotes at $1,000...hence why i have not yet purchased a kit. My poor car...
Who said $200??? That would be awesome but the guy was telling me for the full front protection, it would cost around $550-$600.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I called my dealership last week (Acura of Peabody) and they quotted me at $595 for the front end and $695 for the front end plus the headlights. I'm gonna look around because this seems a little steep.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hot damn 600 bucks for a bra!? And I thought my g/f bra from Victoira secret was a lot! I just washed the car today I notice paint chips all over the front bumper and also a small crack on the windshield....arrghh this is what I get for driving through Boston every week. damn that big dig!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
10th Gear

yea that's about what i got from clair acura on Rt. 1. I'd think a tint or detail shop could offer a better price. plan to call around on monday. though now i'm starting to rethink the greatness of the bra. I'm hoping that it could be used to protect against bad parallel parkers when i'm in the city, but if this stuff can't really take that kind of punishment, i imagine it'd start tareing and maybe peeling, and then it wouldn't be as inconspicious, and would probably look like crap. i've got to look around a little more to see if anyone's posted some experiences...
Old 04-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Just make sure the Acura dealerships are quoting you for the FULL front end protection and not just parts of it.

There is supposedly a Llumar Paint Protection kit now that compets with 3M. Its supposedly clearer and provide more protection. I don't have experience with it, this is just what I heard from my tinter and other postings.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
10th Gear

Anyone know how these clear films look on black? Only saw it in the showroom on that rusty orange color. I didn't notice it until the demo sticker pointed it out ...
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ol'DoogyDoggy
Anyone know how these clear films look on black? Only saw it in the showroom on that rusty orange color. I didn't notice it until the demo sticker pointed it out ...
I spoke with a guy who professionally installs them here in the NOVA area. He made the point to mention that Black paint finishes are the only colors where the clear bra won't "hide" any existing rock chips/scratches. He said, from his experiences, when installing the clear bra on any other color...existing rock chips/scratches tend to be hidden.

And from pics that I've seen here on the forum and from other google searches...the only thing you can really notice about the clear bra is the line that goes across the hood where it stops covering it.

I really wish the Acura kits would just cover the entire hood...otherwise you would have to pay a pretty penny for a customized job; like for the front underbody spoiler...which i have.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bootlegged
I really wish the Acura kits would just cover the entire hood...otherwise you would have to pay a pretty penny for a customized job; like for the front underbody spoiler...which i have.
I know RockBlocker (AZ vendor) actually has a pre cut for the front underbody spoiler. It was extra, but not that much more.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try checking out Tint King in Billerica.

www.tint-king.com
Old 04-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DEI99662
Try checking out Tint King in Billerica.

www.tint-king.com
I just called them up for another reason (moleskin) and the guy is extremely nice. Said he hasn't had any problems with tint scratches and the solution would be to take the plastic guard off, but I'd rather not. He also said that after awhile the moleskin would come off anyways since its just glue and after awhile with heat in the summer, the glue would probably eventually come off. So I guess I'm just going to start rolling my windows down and the hell with it.

Sorry for offtopic.

I was going to get the full clear bra, but I'd rather just repaint the front end when I feel like there's too many chips.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Advanced

That's a good point, VB, regarding just waiting and repainting the front end if it starts to get too bad. I hadn't even considered that option. How much do you think that would cost?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by manavi
That's a good point, VB, regarding just waiting and repainting the front end if it starts to get too bad. I hadn't even considered that option. How much do you think that would cost?
I heard it was around $500-$700. So it would be the cost of the clear bra.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Instructor

I think I will just wait to repaint as well...already too many chips. No point in trying to cover them up for the same price it would cost to repaint

Has anyone tried to install the clear bra themselves (just curious)?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
acura of peabody did mine.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by virtualbong

I was going to get the full clear bra, but I'd rather just repaint the front end when I feel like there's too many chips.
I originally thought of getting a full clear bra, but I went the same way as you. Just wait and repair whatever happens to the front end. I just worry that the paint might not match perfectly and end up needing a full coat. There you are looking at thousands of dollars for a good professional job. What to do?

I also thought since I am parking in a city and have to worry about people with parallel parking issues that the car will eventually look like it is parked in a city. Banged up and sh*t, so a few chips added to that might not worry me that much.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
10th Gear

I ordered my clear bra from www.rockblocker.net. I'm adventurous, so i'm going to give it a shot myself. I've read the tips and watched the instructional video clips from a few sites and it really doesn't look all that hard to me. guess i'll find out. i'll post in a week or too with my experience, hopefully ranting about how easy it is.

i called three places in the boston area for estimates on an install. two of which sold the kits but no longer did the installs, and that might not be a good sign for a DIYer. tint-king in billerica gave me a good estimate on full front, mirrors, and rear bumper, w/ install but i'll still save $300 if i can pull it off myself.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered my clear bra from www.rockblocker.net. I'm adventurous, so i'm going to give it a shot myself. I've read the tips and watched the instructional video clips from a few sites and it really doesn't look all that hard to me. guess i'll find out. i'll post in a week or too with my experience, hopefully ranting about how easy it is.

i called three places in the boston area for estimates on an install. two of which sold the kits but no longer did the installs, and that might not be a good sign for a DIYer. tint-king in billerica gave me a good estimate on full front, mirrors, and rear bumper, w/ install but i'll still save $300 if i can pull it off myself.
Good luck with the install. Please make sure to take LOTS of pics with the write up that you will hopefully do.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by NightShredder
I originally thought of getting a full clear bra, but I went the same way as you. Just wait and repair whatever happens to the front end. I just worry that the paint might not match perfectly and end up needing a full coat. There you are looking at thousands of dollars for a good professional job. What to do?
I also worry about the paint matching, but my coworker just got his front end of his 1999 Acura 3.2 TL (greenish blue color) fixed up and repainted by his local body shop guy and it is DEAD ON. I couldn't even see where he blended it in. After seeing the quality in person, I was sold on getting it repainted later on if need be.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Banned

Here you go for a pic on black. This is a Full kit on here

If anyone has any questions regarding our products please feel free to let us know. For those that want the entire hood installed in one piece.

Let me be the first to say that is not possible, sorry. The material is not wide enough for that I am pretty sure. Anyone know the width and length of the hood. If it is bigger than 48 inches then it cant be done in one piece. Even if you could do it an installer is going to charge and arm and leg for doing it. Not much fun trust me.

Ol'DoogyDoggy - Thanks for your order and PLEASE look over everything and read the instructions then call us with any questions you might have. Do the hood and bumper last as well.

If people are worried about matching paint and clear bras here is a peace of advice. If you are an "A" to "B" to driver and you dont wash and wax your vehicle often then the clear bra wont look good and either will the rest of car. If you take pride in ownership of the vehicle and maintain it with regular washing and waxes then the product and your car will look great for years to come.

Maybe if Ol'DoogyDoggy does a good job he can start doing the local cars of up there for a nominal fee

Take care and enjoy your day.

Chad
Old 04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jiggaman
acura of peabody did mine.
How did they do?? I think I'm gonna have them install mine.
Also, how long did they keep the car?? and what was the final cost through them?
-Thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

I installed my clear bra. I hope to get some pictures and a more complete write up posted in a week or two. But here's my quick impression:

The front bumper/grill and a mirrors were a pain in the ase. The pieces didn't seem to be cut great, and a lot of stretching was neccessary around curves, like around the blinker on the mirror and around the curve on the grill from the front bumper towards the wheels. I had to pull hard to stretch the grill piece to fit the grill, then turning the corners left extra meterial bunched up that just wouldn't lie down, I ended up cutting some small wedges out of the material around the corners on the grill and one of the mirrors to get it to lay flat. The time and stress it took to install was not worth saving the $300. I'm SURE that a professional could have done a MUCH better job with the kit that i recieved, but i still feel like some of the pieces could be cut better. It seems the pieces are just cut outs of the projection of the 3D contours onto a 2D surface, and I don't think that's quite the solution. I realize that it may sound like i'm ignorant and whining, but that's not my intent, and I can't stress enough that i'm not ripping on the product, this is just the unprofessional point of view a first timer. I'm sure that it just takes experience to learn where to push and where to pull to get it to lay down. Too bad the stuff is too expensive to practice on a kit or two. It took a lot of pushing on and pullilng off, and repeating, for me to get the kit on, and I ended up with many (many to me at least, i really wish now that i had looked closer at the one kit i saw installed on a car at the dealership) small bubbles, tiny ripples on the edges, and marks on the film from the spatula and pulling tacked area's back up. And i admit, i was concerned about suffering paint chips and sctratches on my bumpers before I got the kit installed, so I didn't wait for the warmer MA weather, as the day wore on, the temperature dropped to borderline for the recommended install, i just wanted the damn thing on before i drove the car much. However, all these imperfections that concern me when i'm on my knees inspecting the work, are not noticeable when I stand up and take a step back. Another step back and all I see is the line. A few feet away and the whole thing is pretty tough to see, even though I know it's there. I only had time for one coat of zainos on it last weekend, and I'm tied up next weekend. Hopefully the following weekend, i can get a few more layers of zainos on, take some pictures, and give you a look at the final product. For now i have to say get it, but get a pro to put it on. Woah, now that wasn't quick at all....
Old 04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Kudos to you dude!

I wish I had the guts to attempt it...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Congrats on sticking with it and not thorwing it away. I am sure coming from a first time install you have or had doubts about the kit fitting and the little imperfections when you are right on top of it. That is normal After 1000's of installs I still see little imperfections here and there, but no one else can see them. Some things you just have to let go.

The pieces are cut for a 3D shape even if it doesnt seem like it. The part that is hard is to take a 1 dimensional shape and make it fit on 3D. Kudos to you for doing this. If you need anything else from us please let us know.

RockBlocker

PS. from one foot away you will see the product from 5 or behind the driver seat you will not or be hard pressed to.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Yeah man...congrats to you dude.

I was watching the videos on xpel.com and at first I was like...shooot, I could do that no problem. But then the more i thought about it and the past attempts at installing accessories that I thought were "no sweat"...I figured, yeah, maybe a professional should do it this go-round. ha!

I'm going through my dealer to get mine. He knows a shop here in the area. Tomorrow I'll get a quote and find out the cost of the product bought and installed with the font under body spoiler on there. A custom cut is needed due to the added front under body spoiler.

Pics would be awesome too...would love to see the final outcome!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Instructor

I only had time for one coat of zainos on it last weekend, and I'm tied up next weekend. Hopefully the following weekend, i can get a few more layers of zainos on, take some pictures, and give you a look at the final product.
What are the "rules" now, in terms of washing and waxing the car with the clear bra on there? Can you wash the bra part right after it's installed or is there a "healing" period.

When you say you're using Zainos...is that on the clear bra as well??

Sorry...i'm a clear bra what can i say?!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

I wouldnt recommend washing the car for three days after the install. And yes you can use Zaino or other waxes on clear bra as well.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

I've been a member for 3 days now and live just west of Milwaukee, WI. Anyone from the area know a local installer? I am going to do my own headlamps but do not feel like messing with anything else. After seeing all the fun OL'DoogyDoggy had. no thanx...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

What about Race Glaze?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kbdhead
Anyone from the area know a local installer? I am going to do my own headlamps but do not feel like messing with anything else.

Welcome to the boards kbdhead

I'm not sure that anyone posting on this thread will know a local dealer in your area. But if you go to xpel.com and type in your zip code under "Dealer Locator". It should bring up a half dozen or so certified dealers who specialize in the clear bra installation.

Although...I did that, and ended up getting quotes at about $1000 dollars from each local shop. So i went to my dealer as a last resort and he said he actually knew a shop ACROSS THE STREET who does it for much less! However, I'm still waiting to hear how much extra my "custom" piece will cost (front underbody spoiler).
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
is cuteness

Well if anybody is still looking for clear bra installations around boston, I just called up 3 places for quotes.

XtremeClean Weymouth (781) 331-4700 $545
Tint King Billerica (866) 846-8564 $600
Eastern Tinting Co. $675
Old 05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Add to that list Jeff @ Wheel Dynamix in Natick www.wheeldynamix.com

He does 3M paint protection film as well as 3M tint, (although it doesn't mention tint anywhere on his site). I had him do both to my '06 TSX and he did a fantastic job. I can't praise him enough.

His prices are a bit steeper than some, but the expert job and extensive warranty are well worth in IMO. I paid $695 for the paint protection and I think $375 or $395 for the tint.