Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clear Bra

I hadn't washed my TSX in a while because of the snowy conditions we've been having here in Boston. Today, after i was finished washing it, i was drying it off with a towel and found that there are several little pebble chips on the hood of my car.. I'm not to happy about it, either. I remember the dealer telling me something about a clear bra from 3M but I don't remember how much it cost and how effective it really is. Now, I'm interested. If any one can give me some info on how well it works and how much it costs, that'd be awsome. Thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Luke 1:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am still waiting for my car to get delivered in March, so I'm thinking about getting the Autobahn ROADBLOCK that Acura of Framingham is offering to me. Its quite expensive, I think it was $600 installed, but it sounds like it would be worth it. But supposedly you have to maintain it some...ie. wash off bug tar because that can stain it.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
A Commuter

i love my clear bra....paid $300 installed from ROCKBLOCKER.......

can you tell if its on there??

Old 02-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice, do you also have the clear headlight guards?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by JTso
Nice, do you also have the clear headlight guards?

no......i wish i did~~heh~
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my mom has it on her new saab and my dad has it on his truck.. greatest stuff known to man.. i even put it on my bike
Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I only got it for my headlights and fog lights... works great
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Anybody know the dealer price? I would like to put it on my car as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I don't know if you're interested, but I use an alternative to the 3M film. Basically I have the portion of the hood and fenders exposed to the greatest amount of chipping painted with aluminum clear. It's the same material used to clear aluminum wheels. A friend who owns a body shop masks the area, lightly sands the surface, then shoots it with several coats. The clear used on aluminum does not have a yellow tinge and will not yellow over time. It remains somewhat flexible for several years. All of my vehicles have had this material applied with fantastic results. It looks great and very factory looking. In 1995 I had a Corvette ZR 1 done and I've yet to get a chip. My farm trucks, which see a tremendous amount of gravel, have yet to chip either. If you want I can try to take a picture of the new Accord which just had this treatment performed.

Terry
Old 02-08-2005, 07:05 AM

I would love to take advantage of the sale ROCKBLOCKER is having but I really don't want to install this stuff myself. $300 is a steal compared to the dealer installed $599 for the Autobahn RoadBlocker stuff (similar to 3M's clear bra)
Old 02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I slow down for COPS

It is sure worth the money.

There is no dealer cost, since it all depends on the place that do it for them. It is all aftermarket.

I install them daily for dealers on high end cars. At first, I did not believe in them myself. Tried them on my cars, they held up great. Now, I have been doing them for few years.

If you do not want chips, get it done. It is not a lot of money if you look at the cost of the car and the way it will preserve the beauty of it.

Good luck and stay chip free, Mark
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

Maybe they will install our kit for ya. Just a thought. Many installers are willing to do this since it is still revenue coming in. If I had installer in the Boston area I would refer you in a second.

If we can help let us know.

Chad

PS. We will not be open for business until 2/14 after our move.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Instructor

I got mine done at LI, NY, http://www.detailingdynamics.com/
3M for this car and armourfend for my older VW golf

I got 150 for the hood, 50 for the fender (right/left of hood) and 50 for the mirror. = 250.. my 2002 golf is still in great condition.. love it.. my 99 accord never had it has huge chipping problems.. too bad i couldn't afford this back then..

I didn't get headlight, there was some problem with certain brand with fog/headlight, some brand causes browning of the headlight .. search for xpel and fog light problem on google..
Old 02-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course, the great thing about the clear bra is that it keeps the front end of your car from saging.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:38 PM

I actually just found a place that installs the 3M clear bra. For those people in Massachusetts, this place (where I've gotten my tint done) also does paint protection:

http://www.tint-it.com/eastern/
Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by darth62
Of course, the great thing about the clear bra is that it keeps the front end of your car from saging.

I got the push up version
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ForceSHO
I got the push up version

Of course I like the demi version myself more to show, but I will take clear anyday over colored.

PS. Watch for new sales coming in the next month.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
Of course I like the demi version myself more to show, but I will take clear anyday over colored.

PS. Watch for new sales coming in the next month.
Do you have any installers in the 10562 or 11561 area codes?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Maybe they will install our kit for ya. Just a thought. Many installers are willing to do this since it is still revenue coming in. If I had installer in the Boston area I would refer you in a second.

If we can help let us know.

Chad

PS. We will not be open for business until 2/14 after our move.
just would like to know if you or anybody else knows of an installer in Montreal (Canada) or at leat close by.

THANKS
Old 02-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Racer

This stuff hard to install?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Instructor

A lot of people claims its not.. but say you do the whole bumper, you'll need 2-3 people unless you got 4 arms... when I had mine done, I saw 2 person pull while one apply the water thingy that it needs and he was also using a credit card like thing to smooth the film on.. so its hard to say..
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by pandimus
This stuff hard to install?
I can't see someone installing this stuff on their own. Like the previous poster said, you need to stretch the bad boy so that you don't have any bubbles and the bumper is pretty long unless you're Shaq and have a wingspan like no other. I would just take it to a professional installer so that you don't mess it up and waste money on getting another set.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

A lot of people claims its not.. but say you do the whole bumper, you'll need 2-3 people unless you got 4 arms... when I had mine done, I saw 2 person pull while one apply the water thingy that it needs and he was also using a credit card like thing to smooth the film on.. so its hard to say..
That is just inexperience by the installers. For someone who knows what they are doing it takes one person. When you get multiple people working on the same piece they get in each others way.

I would recommend a professional install for the full kit anyday of the week. For something like the hood and fender package most people should be able to tackle that since it is relatively easy.

If we can help in anyway please let us know.

Chad
Old 02-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I slow down for COPS

I am a one person installer and it can be done with no problems as long as you know what you are doing. Most people will mess up trying to do it themselves. And if they do the install and it looks fine, it will still not look as good as a professional install would. You may save some money, but after paying as much for the car as they cost, wouldn't you like it to look the best it can???

I would recommend to buy the kits and have them installed from the same company. This way you have one stop for all your complaints/warranty/issues (hopefully, do not have/need any of the above). If they mess up, cannot blame that the kit was designed wrong way or some other crap. It is as cheap (if not cheaper) to buy the kits from the installer as it would be to buy them online and take them to the installer to get the online kits installed.

Just my

Stay chip free, Mark.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
I am a one person installer and it can be done with no problems as long as you know what you are doing. Most people will mess up trying to do it themselves. And if they do the install and it looks fine, it will still not look as good as a professional install would. You may save some money, but after paying as much for the car as they cost, wouldn't you like it to look the best it can???

I would recommend to buy the kits and have them installed from the same company. This way you have one stop for all your complaints/warranty/issues (hopefully, do not have/need any of the above). If they mess up, cannot blame that the kit was designed wrong way or some other crap. It is as cheap (if not cheaper) to buy the kits from the installer as it would be to buy them online and take them to the installer to get the online kits installed.

Just my

Stay chip free, Mark.
Good point which is why I'll most likely purchase the 3M stuff and have it installed at the same place. I'll most likely get my windows tinted at this place too so I might as well just hand my car over for the day while they install everything.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

3M Clear Bra

I've put this on the last 4 vehicles I've owned. It's worth it definitely, but make sure there are NO WATER SPOTS on the car before the bra is applied since the spots will be there forever! Also, I had pinstriping put on the top of the clear bra and had to have the pin strips replaced within a year so I had the clear bra on the fenders removed and new pin strips put on under the clear bra. For some reason the pin strips wouldn't stick to the clear bra.

Spend the extra few bucks and have the mirrors and below the front door handles done too.......... If you don't think the door handles get scratched just go to any used car lot and look at a car a couple of years old.....

John
Old 02-14-2005, 05:47 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by johnstelting
Spend the extra few bucks and have the mirrors and below the front door handles done too.......... If you don't think the door handles get scratched just go to any used car lot and look at a car a couple of years old.....

John
Good idea, Mark.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Any and all protection is good. We even have them for the tops of the rear bumper for loading and unloading out of the trunk.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I slow down for COPS

Any and all protection is good. We even have them for the tops of the rear bumper for loading and unloading out of the trunk.

I have done an entire Jeep Wrangler for a trail guide ones.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Fading

I don't know much about the clear bras but I have a few questions. (please hold back any jokes hear)

When people put them on the car do they just leave them on permanantly?

Do you have to worry about the paint fading on the car that that doesn't have the bra on it?

If you take it off is there any residue left on the car?

Any other info about the topic could be very useful.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crujones_1814
I don't know much about the clear bras but I have a few questions. (please hold back any jokes hear)

When people put them on the car do they just leave them on permanantly?

Do you have to worry about the paint fading on the car that that doesn't have the bra on it?

If you take it off is there any residue left on the car?

Any other info about the topic could be very useful.

Thanks
No worries man. This product is new to a lot of people. Let me see if I can help you out.

1 - Yes, you leave it on for as long as you want. It can be taken off, but I have never seen that happen yet.

2 - You do not need to worry about paint fade as long as you wash and wax your paint and the product on a regular basis. It has a clear finish just like your car does.

3 - Yes, there can be residue left behind. The amount can vary by age of the product and how you take it off.

If you want to learn more about the product you can look here

http://www.rockblocker.com/faq.htm

http://www.rockblocker.com/about.htm

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us (your online vendor)

Chad