Civic Si Sedan vs Accord EX V6 vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic Si Sedan vs Accord EX V6 vs TSX

Hi guys, I'm looking into getting a new car and can't really decide between these cars. I'm going to be 20 and want to get something sporty and efficient to replace my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. You all seem to be fairly unbias with your car recommendations as well so I figured I would ask the question here

My main requirement is that the car is sporty and have room for passengers. A few of my closest friends are all 5'8" to 6' and they need to fit fairly comfortably in the back (I got the shaft and am only 5'5" so backseat riders get more room on my side ). Aside from that I can't decide on these cars because they're all in the same price range.

The Civic Si is ~22k (are dealers budging on price yet?), the Accord EX Coupe V6 ~25k, and a 2005 TSX I was looking at is also 25k with approx 30k mi and a 100,000/7year warranty.

Saving money is an important factor in the long run and I would personally be happy with a Civic EX or maybe Si Coupe but I couldn't fit anyone in the damn thing with me. I'll need to keep this car for at least 6 years because I'm going to Pharmacy school which will take me another 5 years and maybe an extra year if I need to retake a class or two.

Aside from that I'm basically am leaning toward the accord and tsx because I can't justify to myself spending 3k less on a car that's smaller and gets roughly the same gas mileage and probably less if the Si bug hits me and I floor it all the time. Also with the Accord coupe it doesn't seem to have too much backseat room either and the sedan, well, it just doesn't do it for me. Have any of you had experience sitting people in the back of the Accord coupe? And was it fairly comfortable?

Basically I just want your opinions and input on what you guys think and what you would decide on if you were in my shoes. And also some insight on which of them will be cheapest to maintain in the long run based on gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM
7th Gear

Also, I've heard lease deals were extremely good right now on the Accords correct? Would I benefit from leasing an Accord with the option to purchase afterwards to save some money or would it still equate to more money that just purchasing one outright?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Cruisin'

Best thing I would suggest you to do is to take a group of your friends(if it really matters to you that much) and have them all test drive each car with you. I can tell you that pretty much any coupe is kinda uncomfortable in the back compared to sedans. See which one best suites you. Take advantage of being able to test drive.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
No longer in denial

I agree, you should test drive, but how much do you say your friends influence your car? It should be what makes you happy. I went from a coupe to a 4 door ultimately because I have to haul old people on a occasion, and its rough on them to get in and out of a coupe.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
19, get the Accord coupe or Si.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
7th Gear

Well, I'm not going to just rule out a car because they wouldn't be absolutely comfortable in it. I really don't care, but I don't want them to be uncomfortable either.

For instance the Civic Coupe is definitely ruled out because some of my friends including the girl I'm seeing who is 5'9" (most likely in the front anyway) and her friends literally couldn't fit in the coupe without curling into a ball and probably getting mud, dirt, snow, you name it on my seats etc.

Aside from that I've become accustomed to having quite a bit of space because of my Grand Prix and I tend to lean toward a more mature looking car compared to most people my age anyway.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if money is an issue, i'd just go with the civic si. you're getting honda engineering (reliable), it's a good car for someone your age and situation.

but you should definately test drive as others have suggested. but just thinking about it, if i were 19-20 again and was looking for a car, i'd go for the civic si.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Acura TSX 2004 5AT

I think TSX is little mature for your age. Get a coupe or something. only in college can you get a car like that.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

I wouldn't say gettin a mature car around 20 is so bad. I'm 20 and ever since i've gotten my TSX, i've gotten nothing but compliments from everyone i know and random ppl in the streets are always asking me what car it is since i debadged it. It just depends on how you personalize it to your personality and taste i guess.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Sometimes people purchase cars for something they will need to do only 5-10% of the time compare to purchasing a vehicle for something you do 90% of the time.

Example of this is buying a big SUV to go camping once a year or buying a truck because you might need to haul something from Home Depot one day. There are only three in my family and the TSX was the best choice for 90% of our daily driving. The other 10%, we rented another vehicle, drove someone else’s vehicle, or stuff ourselves in the TSX.

I say examine you daily driving habits and determine what fits your lifestyle 90% of the time (commute time, usable space, gas cost, maint, insurance, repair cost, feel good factor, being a poor college student but not looking like a poor college student, etc..). A TSX with a 100,000 warranty sounds pretty good compared to a Honda with a 36,000 warranty for a young college lad. If you can wait 6 more months, you might be able to get an 06 for the same price.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the Civic Sedan has the same back seat legroom as the TSX but the Accord has less than both of them. However, the Accord V6 has better MPG numbers than both the Civic and TSX.

If I were you, I'd get the Accord Coupe (or wait for the new one coming out in August). It looks good and is a middle ground between the TSX and Civic, I think.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

My buddy just got a brand new Civic Si 4door and he loves it. He got the 18" wheels to match the car and it looks really nice. I was able to fit fairly comfortable in the back as well and i'm 6'-0". For the price, i think it would be easier for you to afford and it will also be cheaper insurance than the TSX as well. Maybe the accord would be a good fit, but with your schooling coming up, i think you should try and buy new rather than a car with 30k miles on it (i know its a TSX and it will last) but i think getting a still nice new car for less money would be a smarter idea
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
And tell your cheap ass friends to buy their own car and stop freeloading.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Sometimes people purchase cars for something they will need to do only 5-10% of the time compare to purchasing a vehicle for something you do 90% of the time.

Example of this is buying a big SUV to go camping once a year or buying a truck because you might need to haul something from Home Depot one day.
So very true...

If you're only people hauling on occasion, make sure you choose wisely. I'd hate to read another thread from you a few months from now talking about buyer's remorse. If passenger comfort really is a critical aspect in your decision, I'd definitely knock out the Accord V6 coupe if you're concerned about your friends' comfort. There's really nothing more annoying than getting in and out of the back seat of a 2-door. Between the new Si sedan and a used TSX? That's a tough call because they're both very similar, although one is clearly more "refined" than the other (leather seats, more integrated power items, etc.). I generally prefer the new vehicle route, but you'll have more *guaranteed* assurances for the long haul w/ the TSX warranty. Knowing Honda reliability, however, it probably is a moot point.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
have you checked with your insurance provider on how much each car will cost to insure?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
7th Gear

I just checked again and the TSX only has 20,000 miles not 30,000 like I thought so it seems like an even better deal for only a few more grand than an Si. I also haven't asked about negotiating on the price of the vehicle, I may be able to knock it down a little.

There are currently four of us living together: me, my friend, and the two girls we're with. Anyway, that's where most of my 4 passenger traveling comes from and when we all go home we'll stay over each others house and do laundry...mooch of the parents and stuff like that. My friend has a car too but we don't want to take two cars if we are all going the same place, so we just switch up. I suppose I could shaft my friend and make him do all the 4 passenger driving though =P

As for the insurance it looks like the TSX will be $50 more per month than the Civic Si ($200 vs $250). Which surprised me because I would have thought all the kids crashing their Si's would have driven up the rates. This probably won't be too much of a factor though, that's expensive so I'll probably just have it put under my moms insurance and me put down as primary driver. That's what we do now and I only pay $100/ month.

And I do admit theres just something about rolling up in an Acura TSX that's just... better than rolling up somewhere in a Honda Civic. The only other thing is the TSX is automatic, that however is something both good and bad. I've never driven a stick (although I do have a streetbike so I understand the principles of shifting) and I don't know if it's something I'll want or not. There's other things I worry about more though, and if I need to get my jollies I'll just hop on my bike.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by beastykato
I just checked again and the TSX only has 20,000 miles not 30,000 like I thought so it seems like an even better deal for only a few more grand than an Si. I also haven't asked about negotiating on the price of the vehicle, I may be able to knock it down a little.

There are currently four of us living together: me, my friend, and the two girls we're with. Anyway, that's where most of my 4 passenger traveling comes from and when we all go home we'll stay over each others house and do laundry...mooch of the parents and stuff like that. My friend has a car too but we don't want to take two cars if we are all going the same place, so we just switch up. I suppose I could shaft my friend and make him do all the 4 passenger driving though =P

As for the insurance it looks like the TSX will be $50 more per month than the Civic Si ($200 vs $250). Which surprised me because I would have thought all the kids crashing their Si's would have driven up the rates. This probably won't be too much of a factor though, that's expensive so I'll probably just have it put under my moms insurance and me put down as primary driver. That's what we do now and I only pay $100/ month.

And I do admit theres just something about rolling up in an Acura TSX that's just... better than rolling up somewhere in a Honda Civic. The only other thing is the TSX is automatic, that however is something both good and bad. I've never driven a stick (although I do have a streetbike so I understand the principles of shifting) and I don't know if it's something I'll want or not. There's other things I worry about more though, and if I need to get my jollies I'll just hop on my bike.
i was looking into a civic si with navi for a 36 months lease i got a better deal on the tsx and with the same terms the si is way overpriced right now for a lease. for a purchase watch out how much over msrp they charge
Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Si is perfect for your age but if you gonna keep them for long time TSX is not a bad choice either. you'll be in mid 20's pretty soon.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Instructor

TSX all the way!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
19, get the Accord coupe or Si.
Yeah but he said he was going to school. coupes SUCK at school, unless you get a apartment I don't really go home for holidays (or don't bring much with you when you do).
Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
si sedan
Old 04-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced

20's the new 10, I say Civic SI and rice the hell out of it
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced

i was in the same position as you a few months ago. I was going off to college had some money saved up and my car kept braking down. I also test drove many cars including the si the tsx and the accord v6 coupe n sedan. the si wasnt really my style i mean i like to go fast but i fell in love with the tsx the moment i drove it.the accord was a close second though. it was the perfect cross between sport and luxury for the price range. best advice dont buy if u dont love it cuz your going to have to drive for a long time.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I just traded in my Civic for my TSX (got an 06 used w/5K miles). I drove an 07 EX for comparison. Problem is, you'll HATE the Civic after driving the TSX. It's just not a fair comparison. Even in Si trim, the Civic is still that - a Civic. The refinement, ride, options and features are not comparable. Only a warning for when you drive them - you're going to want the TSX.

However, having been your age (a while ago) and wanting a new car, you really have an exciting few years ahead of you. Question is, how much of a burden to you want your car to be financially? I know the lure of a new car is huge, but if money is a consideration, one option is to get something nice, but doesn't strap you for cash (so you can go do all those other things you want to do). Also, research insurance prices first. Single 19 year old men pay the highest premiums (short of someone with a lot of accidents). The TSX, and to some degree the Accord, is not only more $ in payment, gas will be more (premium for the TSX BTW), insurance, and maintenance.

I'm not big on advice, but a scenario to consider is to get something that gets you through your schooling well enough without breaking the bank, then when you come out the other side with a job and a career ahead of you, treat yourself then. Any used Honda is always a good bet - I thought the EX wasn't all that bad, it just compared poorly to the TSX (for good reason). An EX gets great mileage, will be easy on the maintenance and operating costs too. A used Accord may be better if space is a consideration. I know a CR-V isn't sporty, but if your carting around friends a lot, this or an Element would be both economical and versitle.

I guess the question is would you rather have an EX and an extra $150 a month, or a 1 year old TSX?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

At your age, drive all 3 cars and just go with what your gut instinct tells you. You're too young to "rationalize" the car choice (with cost being basically equal). One of the cars should strike you -- "I want this one!".

That's the one you should get.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 PM
01 CL_S SMR

Go with the TSX, im 22 and just bought a 2001 3.2 Cl Type S. I can not begin to tell you how different I feel every time i go somewhere in that car. My boss who drives a BMW said he wished he had my car (He gets the BMW lease free from work), im telling you that you will feel totally different driving the TSX no matter where you are. Its nice to park next to any car in the lot and know yours looks better!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro

At your age I can't in good conscience (and as an old, experienced, man) recommend you buy ANY new car - it's just plain foolish.

Higher education and/or specialized training?

Done much world travel?

Saving up for a house?

So many more things that are so much, much more important in your life than a new car now now now. I know it's virtually impossible to listen to this and I doubt you made it this far before your eyes glazed over, but I implore you to reconsider.

That being said, I'd still go with the more practical Accord (maybe a 1 yr old Accord??) over the Si or TSX - again, at your age.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM

Beastykato,

One more thought for you to consider. You are gettling a lot of what I'd call emotional advice, i.e. "go for it". There are a few important concepts in play here that you need to consider:

1) What someone wants, and what someone needs, are almost always different.
2) American culture works very hard to convince/brainwash you into believing what you want is what you need.
3) Banks will always give you more credit than you can possibly afford to pay back.

The combination of 2 and 3 is why 24 year-olds find themselves hopelessly in debt. They come out the other end with bad credit and very limited choices. The less tied to a car you are, the more choices you'll have.

It's not a bad thing to get what you want, so long as you can afford it. Always remember that our economy, lending institutions and most of all car salesman do NOT have your best interest in mind. They don't care if your $40K in debt by the time your 23. They don't care that you can't make the payments. When I sold cars, I'd meet a 18-24 year old every day who got themselves in over their head and needed to get out. Few of them had many choices.

The emotional decision to get the cool car is always there at the time of purchase. Salesman feed off of it. We all want more car - who doesn't? But it comes with a price, and when you're 19 you just don't have the income to absorb a lot of bad financial decisions. Keep your head about you on this one - you'll thank yourself later. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
At your age I can't in good conscience (and as an old, experienced, man) recommend you buy ANY new car - it's just plain foolish.

Higher education and/or specialized training?

Done much world travel?

Saving up for a house?[...]
I can't agree more with Vito here. I drove used cars through college - cheap junk - but came out with fewer student loans and a couple trips overseas under my belt. I don't know how I could have done that with a regular car payment the size of my current TSX payment. Buy a used Civic, get great gas mileage, and use your money for other things - or just save it! When you graduate in 5-6 years and get a job as a pharmacist, buy a 2012 TSX with the cash you've saved. I'm sure it will be much nicer than the current models.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Definitely get what you can afford first and foremost cuz although i loved the tsx when i drove it I did not end up getting it until a month or two after i test drove it. there was actually a point in time where i had given up on it because it was just out of my price range and the dealership wouldnt budge on the price. Turned out my gf's dad used to be a manager at the acura dealership and i got the car 400 below invoice and acura had finance special 2.9 percent. I also had a job and was getting about 3.5k bak a semester from governement and scholarship.i also didnt have to spend alll my savings on the downpayment. financial situation is real important dont mess ur cedit up from one college student to another
Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by beastykato
Well, I'm not going to just rule out a car because they wouldn't be absolutely comfortable in it. I really don't care, but I don't want them to be uncomfortable either.

For instance the Civic Coupe is definitely ruled out because some of my friends including the girl I'm seeing who is 5'9" (most likely in the front anyway) and her friends literally couldn't fit in the coupe without curling into a ball and probably getting mud, dirt, snow, you name it on my seats etc.

Aside from that I've become accustomed to having quite a bit of space because of my Grand Prix and I tend to lean toward a more mature looking car compared to most people my age anyway.
Wow - you're 5'5 and she is 5'9? How'd you bag her you pimp you!

Your best bet would be to buy a used accord, since the acura tsx and honda civic SI insurance rates can't be that favorable to a young man like yourself.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced

i would go with the tsx for sure, i think the tsx is the perfect compromise between the si and the accord sedan.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Racer

The advice to take some friends to test ride is helpful…you will find the coupe v-6 carries a load with more ease…I have a TSX and when loaded with four and gear you can tell you have a load…We have a v-6 accord and do not have that issue

I am planning to look hard at the 08 Coupe…my next car will be v-6 accord/tl/g37 unless the 09 TSX in spring (coupe coming) is strong on torque…..

After all this, buy what you like (hits your hot spot, etc) and feel gives you good value ……they all have good resale, low maintenance etc…I would not listen to the age thing as that seems like stereotyping ….
Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Texas
…I would not listen to the age thing as that seems like stereotyping ….
I couldn't afford any kind of car at that age, so he's doing better than I. However those of us with some time and distance from that age know the decisions you make at 19 are a) often times not the best and b) can really help or really screw up the next 10 years of your life. I don't think it's stereotyping to encourage looking at the whole picture to make the decision.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Race Director

Don't get an Accord because they're redesigning it this fall unless you want an outdated model in a few months and the Civic Si sedan I have yet to see one on the road yet, but to the normal car person they'll go eh it's a Civic. Just go TSX and you won't regret it or wait for the 8th gen Accord this fall like I said earlier.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Racer

Accord V6 ===> So predictable...reasonable car...boring...everywhere.
Civic Si => Young and small...Still Civic but expensive...Kinda fast.
TSX => Gentle and mature but still looks sharp...unique...Not a fast car.
That's what I'm thinking when I see those three cars. Nothing but just my I think the best way is just do test drive all three cars in one day and you'll realize what's the car for you
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
7th Gear

Well, thanks a lot guys I'll definitely look into just hanging onto my cash and maybe saving up for a while longer. I just know I'll have to get a "new" car within the next year or so and figured now was the best time to do so and to make sure it was something that will definitely last me all through school.

As for a house that's definitely a consideration I've thought about but I thought I would be better off just waiting until I graduate to even think about anything like that.

Oh well, I dunno too much to ponder right now. I have a shit ton of work to do for finals next week. Thanks a lot for the input again.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced

You mentioned that the 05 TSX is automatic... I would definitely choose the Civic si sedan over a TSX auto. I've driven a TSX auto as a loaner car, and it felt kinda sluggish. It's definitely not as much fun to drive as my 6 speed.

So if you're looking for a super reliable car, that looks good, easy on the pocket, and FUN to drive... then civic si is for you.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

A new non-navi TSX is <$26,000 invoice. $25 for a used one doesn't seem like such a great deal unless it comes with Navi. In which case, I think it's not necessary, unless you really have extra cash.

I agree with the others -- start off trying to keep your debt low. It takes forever to pay this stuff off, so if you can be happy with something less expensive, it might work out better. Then again, if you're just going to be unhappy with something cheaper, it may be worth it to you to spend a bit more. Hard for us to decide for you.

I test drove the Civic Si Coupe. It was a lot faster than the TSX, but I was happy to jump back into my TSX. The Si seemed to have a stiffer sporty suspension, but a lot of the more economy cars have just a more uncomfortable suspension. Maybe this was a bit of both? At any rate, I'll take my luxury; perhaps it's my age showing. The interior seemed, well, like a Civic, an economy car. It wasn't bad, just not as nice as the TSX.

You might want to look at the Mazda 3 for another sporty-feeling car that has a lot more room inside than you might think for such a small car. The interior seemed pretty cheap to me, but it was fun to drive. The tC is worth a look as well.

I know someone who moved from the V6 Accord Coupe to the TSX. Yeah, the Accord was probably faster in raw speed, but not enough to matter. The TSX has more nimble handling, and can be more "fun to drive" for some people. Plus it has some nice extras, all included.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Advance

Go with the Si Sedan, it's faster and cheaper.

Quick Reply: Civic Si Sedan vs Accord EX V6 vs TSX