Center Mounted Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center gauges just seems like a gimmic the automakers are tryin to play. I remember older (pre 50's) cars having them as standard, but that changed when the makers saw the benefits of having the gauges in front of the driver...

Let's hope it goes away soon.

Junkster, who wonders if any center-gauged cars are on the way.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by pby
I wouldn't mind two pairs of fluid/lipid filled airbags on either side of me as I drive.

In case of emergency...lift or unbutton.
Ok you can have two..

I agree with Junkster...hope it goes away soon.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:06 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by domn
Ya forgot about the mini. What a mess that interior is.

That was a Mini dash I posted the picture of but it doesn't 'zactly count 'cause the TACHOMETER is still front and center in the dash. I'd guess they put the speedometer in the center just because the ORIGINAL 1960s Mini had the speedo in the center to simplify construction for RHD and LHD markets. So to be faithful to the "Retro" look they needed to do something like that. Have you driven one? I've not, but most people fall completely in love with the car!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:24 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My girlfriend has a Mini and I love that car. I don't find the center mounted speedo a problem because its so large and the more important guage is still in front of me. As long as the tach is still in front of me, I don't care.

Mini's are great cars bye the way!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by bob shiftright

That was a Mini dash I posted the picture of but it doesn't 'zactly count 'cause the TACHOMETER is still front and center in the dash. I'd guess they put the speedometer in the center just because the ORIGINAL 1960s Mini had the speedo in the center to simplify construction for RHD and LHD markets. So to be faithful to the "Retro" look they needed to do something like that. Have you driven one? I've not, but most people fall completely in love with the car!
I have driven one and ya it was alot of fun, hadled great. I was'nt in it long enough to determine if the gauges would pose a problem.

The one problem that I had with it, clutch engagement. I'm a size 11 shoe and everytime I depressed the clutch my foot would get stuck and I would have to rip it out. Thats probly why I was'nt paying attention to the gauges.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Advanced

my father has a mini... he said if you get the navi as an option, it gets placed where the center-mounted gauge is, and the center gauge gets moved in front of the driver...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by domn
....The one problem that I had with it, clutch engagement.....everytime I depressed the clutch my foot would get stuck and I would have to rip it out. Thats probly why I was'nt paying attention to the gauges.

I thought it was just me.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Evil Empire Peon

For people like me, center mounted gauges are probably horrible.

I'm fairly short-sighted (-9, -8.75) and because of that, my glasses are relatively thick and small.

Thus, having to utilize my lateral visual range is actually hard since it's pretty close to the edge of the lens, which means I have to spend a few extra moments focussing on the gauge.

Mind you, I'm a good driver, and tracking objects on the road is no problem. But having to keep shifting my eyes and refocussing will probably drive me to distraction and make me go and cause an accident.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:57 AM
6MT Snob

come on that dash is badass though

Here is what the mini looks like w/navi
Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer

I thought it was just me.
Was that happening to you as well?

I've spoken to a few other people and it was'nt an issue. Maybe its our driving style?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Revenent
For people like me, center mounted gauges are probably horrible.

I'm fairly short-sighted (-9, -8.75) and because of that, my glasses are relatively thick and small.

Thus, having to utilize my lateral visual range is actually hard since it's pretty close to the edge of the lens, which means I have to spend a few extra moments focussing on the gauge.
I've heard the centre-mount gauges are easier to focus on, because they are further away and therefore it's less of a focus change from outside (infinity). Still, I think the lateral shift outweighs any focusing advantage.

Don't forget the Prius. The gauges aren't totally centred, but still to the right of the wheel:

Old 06-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kiteboy
I've heard the centre-mount gauges are easier to focus on, because they are further away and therefore it's less of a focus change from outside (infinity). Still, I think the lateral shift outweighs any focusing advantage.

Don't forget the Prius. The gauges aren't totally centred, but still to the right of the wheel:

I can deal with where that speedo is... it's still in front of my view..but if it were where the navi is...then we'll have some problems..
Old 06-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Another useless thread.

Nice. Domn, you locked down my poll on what features should be added to the TSX, but you start a thread on center mounted guages - a topic that has NOTHING to do with the TSX. Maybe I should have included center mounted guages as a choice in my poll and you would not have locked it down. What topic do you have in store for next week? How about whether minvans should have traditional round cup holders or square ones for juice boxes for the kids. I can't wait....
Old 06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

SWOBERT you have mail.

Know how to check??