Carputer install - using stock display and touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carputer install - using stock display and touchscreen

Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting the stock touch screen working for my own setup. Has anyone had any experience playing with this?

I have searched around and have found people asking about it (like by aMuze here but no real progress that I can find anywhere.

Is anyone here able enough in the hardware dept to try and track down how the touch screen is communicating with the navi comp?

One other idea I have had is to add to the stock screen with a touchscreen unit that you can buy (usb interface).

More than anything I am just hoping to grab some attention with this thread and stir up interest. I really don't want to add a touchscreen layer over the existing screen so interfacing with the existing system would be the best way by far. If you have any ideas at all please post them. Or if you have the electrical schematics manual from helm please let me know if there is anything in there about the touchscreen.

Thanks,
AC
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're gonna try something like this your first step should be purchasing the Helms service manual and the electrical troubleshooting manual. I'm sure there are a few wires lingering about in there that you can tap in to like it's a key board.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Instructor

ya I was thinking about getting a copy of teh electircal manual but I figured I would see if anyone had one already.

Anyone?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

In addition to the TSX ETM (mine's on the way so I can't check it for you yet, sorry) you may want to see if you can dig up some information about the nav unit from Alpine (I believe that's who actually makes it). However there's a very good chance that you won't find anything useful and that figuring out the line protocols involved will be a difficult and risky operation... I'm not aware of any existing mods that use the stock screen for input (there have been several that use it as a display, take a look at the AV section).
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A&V, folks, A&V.