Careless Driving in Edgewater (nj ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008 | 04:05 PM
Advanced

Careless Driving in Edgewater (nj ticket)

I pulled out of the drive way of starbucks a little to fast, chirped a bit and my friends in 240's and subi's came roaring behind me next thing i realize a officer in a motor cycle is pulling me over.
I got ticketed for careless driving and he said i was "lighting up my tires"

Nonetheless im not going to complain about the bs charge of the ticket but but i rahter i want to know if any of you guys have any experience dealing with this charge.

This is my first ticket so im not really even familiar with how the process works.

I know the fine is 85 dollars and 2 points

Would it be possible for me to take a defensive driving class before my court appareance so i can avoid the point all together?

Or do the classes work in a way in which i need to have the points on my record before they are taken away?

I'd appreciate any all of the help i can get.
Old 08-17-2008 | 04:10 PM
Advanced

btw i was not speeding or even close to passing the speed limit
Old 08-17-2008 | 04:22 PM
Instructor

Your best thing to do is go to court, talk to the prosecutor, and ask him to amend the charge. 99% of the time they will. Ask them to amend the charge to Unsafe Driving which will give you a bigger fine but will carry no points. Be very kind, polite, and apologetic. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2008 | 04:37 PM
detour

yea just goto court on your court date, pay a bigger fine, and it will avoid points added to your record usually
Old 08-17-2008 | 05:38 PM
Instructor

I depends a lot on where you are located. For example, paying a bigger fine, as someone mentioned, is not an option in the Southeast -- and would likely be frowned upon if mentioned. Traffic Enforcement is not about money (yet, one town makes all traffic violations a violation of a city ordinance, rather than a traffic violation, so that the town can keep all the money from traffic citations).

You ought to consider talking with an experienced traffic lawyer as soon as possible; even if you do not hire him to represent you in court. It ought to take no more than 30 mins. for him to advise you on your options and best course of action. If possible, go to the same court (and, hopefully the same judge) before your court date and sit near the front. You can learn a lot about the proceedings, and the judge, by doing so. And, also attorneys.

One court I attended in Nashville would allow some defendants to avoid any penalty simply by watching a movie. Another court would allow some defendants to avoid all penalties by attending a Defensive Driving School. A Defensive Driving School is nearly always good, even if not required. You usually learn some useful stuff. In some cases, you can get a little lower insurance rate.

But, only a good attorney that knows the court and the judge can give you good advice.

It is regretable, but some police will write a ticket if a tire squeals at all. I had a GTO, with tons of torque, that would sometimes squeal a rear tire on certain pavements (usually those with a slippery spot) with no effort at all. I had to be very careful while in one town. And, it was an automatic.

As you probably already know by now, it never pays to be in front. The "leader of the pack" is the one most likely to get the ticket.
Old 08-17-2008 | 07:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saeyon
yea just goto court on your court date, pay a bigger fine, and it will avoid points added to your record usually
i talked to an officer in my town (paramus) and he told me that the careless driving fine is much higher (500+)
I thought a more cost effective measure would be to cut off 2 points by going to a defensive driving class for about 40 bucks.

what he couldnt answer for me was weather or not the two point reduction would still be effective if i attend the class now rather than after i go to court.

basically im asking if its worth to just take the defensive driving class ahead of time, before theya ctually issue me points. And if they do, will the points be reduced since i took the class?
Old 08-17-2008 | 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Sorry but this is not specific to the TSX. Please post in Off Topic.