Car damaged while at dealer, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car damaged while at dealer, what should I do?

While my 2004 TSX MT with Navi was at the dealer for it's first service visit they left the rear window open during a rain storm.

The leather seat is disformed, the carpet on the floor is wet, and the windows fog up after it's in the sun for an hour or so. I have no idea if there is any water damage inside the door.

What should I do?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Racer

Hopefully you told them as soon as you noticed. I would ask them about replacing the seat since it was in their possesion and i would also make sure the carpet dried out really good so is doesn't get mold or start to smell.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Is this even debatable? Shouldn't the dealer repair all the damages?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Race Director

, no question about it, dealer has to fix everything. Try and get some free stuff while your at it.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Instructor

I would be blow my lid.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

How long ago did this happen? They definitely need to get everything back to how it was when you dropped it off. New seat, carpet, etc. You may even want to tell them you're going to have another Acura dealer (or anyone 3rd party) give you an estimate on damages.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by davidct
What should I do?
tell the dealer to bend over
Old 12-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Quattro in.....

tell the dealer you want an 05 RL loaner!

Dealer should fix all damages.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

id be kicking somebodys ass! if they denied it someones ass would be mines! haha but seriously talk to them...if they deny call acura headquarters
Old 12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking
tell the dealer you want an 05 RL loaner!

Dealer should fix all damages.

Or, better yet, tell the dealer to give you an all new 05 and all is forgiven.

But seriously, the dealer should fix everything and bring it up to the condition it was in when you dropped it off. If that includes new seats, new headliners, new carpeting then so be it.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
AutoX'er

Contact American Honda and start a file.

Tell them what happened and that you would like to take it to another dealer to fix it.

American Honda will bill the original dealership to the damages.

Don't waste your time taking it back the same guys, when they do agree to fix it they will cut corners because its out of their pocket.

No question this should be fixed at the dealer's expense.

-SWRT
Old 12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He should contact Acura, not Honda.

My younger sister had a similar issue. She went to pick up her Honda Civic at the dealer, and discovered that her fancy car stereo was gone. Somebody who works there must have lifted it. The dealer agreed to replace it after a few days. He acted quickly enough to avoid a visit from her enraged older brother.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Racer

uh....Acura is part of American Honda, haven't you noticed the Honda logo on your windows...not to be mean or anything just correcting that statement
Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
AutoX'er

Originally Posted by spatel600
uh....Acura is part of American Honda, haven't you noticed the Honda logo on your windows...not to be mean or anything just correcting that statement

AH (American Honda) covers all Honda Products, from Acura's to Lawn Mowers.

-SWRT
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
04 remembrance

Well, since it is their mistake, they should be the one absolving it.

Your seats should be either replaced, properly cleaned, or steamed cleaned (<~ I heard it does wonders). As for your carpets, it's easily replaceable, the dealership probably carries some of them in their service/parts department.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by sipark
Is this even debatable? Shouldn't the dealer repair all the damages?

BTW this happened to someone else (not dealers fault) and they had the windows fog up to. Figured its from the water thats in the car evaporating.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by spatel600
Not to mean or anything either, but you might want to check the logo on the front of your TSX. Acura USA and Honda USA have seperate corporate offices in Torrance, and seperate constumer support staff, and they are seperate corporate entities.

Here is the information for Acura. If you want the information for Honda (which has seperate constumer support offices for each part of the country), maybe Spatel600 will be kind enough to PM it to you:

Customer Relations

Your dealer is the first stop for questions or concerns about your vehicle. Contact your Acura dealer for information about service and maintenance, warranty repairs, Acura Genuine Parts, and more. For further assistance, feel free to contact Acura Client Services.

Acura Client Services
Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time.
Toll-free phone number
(800) 382-2238

By Fax
(310) 783-3535

By Mail
Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Acura Client Services is more than happy to help with U.S. Acura vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Acura Canada Client Services at 1-888-922-8729.

When my sister had this happen to her with her Civic, it got resolved very quickly. I don't think you'll have a problem - put please document everything if you can.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Dealer offers to fix car, but will it be as factory built?

Thanks for all your suggestions...

So the dealer is offering to replace the seat (I presume back and bottom), all the carpet in the car, and take apart the door to inspect for damage.

Probably like most of you, I am passionate about keeping the car clean, waxed, and people say they would eat off my floors... I notice everything. If a stitch in the leather is off, I will know it.

So, can the dealer do all this work to my car and have it look just like it did when it left the factory?

Would you trust them? Replacing the seat is one thing (provided the leather and every stitch in the leather matches). But to replace the carpet... they would need to do some serious surgery.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

replacing the seat is a 10 min job, that's no problem at all. the carpet i have no idea, but I think if should be easy, the car isn't all that hard to take apart
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions...

So the dealer is offering to replace the seat (I presume back and bottom), all the carpet in the car, and take apart the door to inspect for damage.

Probably like most of you, I am passionate about keeping the car clean, waxed, and people say they would eat off my floors... I notice everything. If a stitch in the leather is off, I will know it.

So, can the dealer do all this work to my car and have it look just like it did when it left the factory?

Would you trust them? Replacing the seat is one thing (provided the leather and every stitch in the leather matches). But to replace the carpet... they would need to do some serious surgery.
They're offering to replace it. Do you have the choice other than accept??
Old 12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sauceman
They're offering to replace it. Do you have the choice other than accept??
That's another good question...

Do I have to accept them replacing all these parts? Can the car go back to factory condition? Or will I always know (visibly) that the work has been done?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I have to accept them replacing all these parts? Can the car go back to factory condition? Or will I always know (visibly) that the work has been done?
If the job is well done, it should go back to factory condition. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sauceman
If the job is well done, it should go back to factory condition. Good luck.
"Good Luck" UGH.

You are making me more nervous. We're talking about removing all the carpet. That means pulling out the seats, all the plastic pieces screwed to the frame of the car that the carpet is tucked under, and who the heck knows what else.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you constantly thinking about it or look under the seat/carpet for flaws with a magnifying glass, you will always know work has been done. On the other hand, give it a few months, and you probably won't worry about it anymore.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
While my 2004 TSX MT with Navi was at the dealer for it's first service visit they left the rear window open during a rain storm.

The leather seat is disformed, the carpet on the floor is wet, and the windows fog up after it's in the sun for an hour or so. I have no idea if there is any water damage inside the door.

What should I do?
While the carpet is out being replaced go ahead an put some BQuiet, Brown Bread or Dynamat down to increase the quietness of the car.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Replacing Interior Surfaces OK

Originally Posted by JTso
If you constantly thinking about it or look under the seat/carpet for flaws with a magnifying glass, you will always know work has been done. On the other hand, give it a few months, and you probably won't worry about it anymore.

I'd agree with this.

I've had several leather seat surfaces replaced in various cars due to premature wear (I sit relatively close to the wheel for a six footer and on three cars the left side bolster has had cracking and wear from getting in and out of the car).

They don't look exactly like they did when you have it replaced, but they do look just like they would coming from the factory.

I worried about it the first time, but after that I'd do it anytime there was a problem with a surface.

My only proviso would be that the dealer has to care about doing it right, but the ones I've dealt with always have.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ellswrth

My only proviso would be that the dealer has to care about doing it right, but the ones I've dealt with always have.
With the exception of the General Manager, all involved have been very helpful at the dealer. They tell me their technicians have the most experience by far compared to any other dealer in my area.

So the key is to make sure I get a tech who can spend the time doing quality work.

But don't they have to complete the work based on a book? And won't Acura only pay for how much time they think the repair should take?