Canadian Car of the Year Finalists, including Mazda 3 & the Precious

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Car of the Year Finalists, including Mazda 3 & the Precious

Two of my short list candidates (for ownership), the Mazda 3 and TSX (duh, of course!), acquitted themselves quite well (look-out, I'm on a letter 'q' and parenthesis rampage!).

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/5under35.htm

excuse me while I work some of this out in my head (for all to see):

Mazda 3 Sedan pros:

great handler
great brakes, incl. ABS w/EBD
spirited performing engine: optional 160hp on a 2800lb. car
34.1 ft. turning circle for good maneuverability
Volvo safety cage design (including optional side airbags)
collapsable foot pedals and steering wheel for addt'l safety
folding side mirrors
similar interior specs to TSX
regular gas w/ good mpg ratings
made in Japan
steering wheel mounted controls
wide trunk passthru
6 disc changer optional
moonroof optional
Nav system optional
Xenons optional, which includes dash leveler switch btw
17" wheel optional
leather optional
fog lights optional
price savings of $6905 ($28,900 TSX w/Nav - $21995 Mazda 3, options loaded w/Nav; based on MSRP)

Mazda 3 Sedan cons::'(

no traction control (not to mention stability)
no heated seats
assumed greater depreciation
cheaper interior materials (nice overall presentation, but can't touch great TSX interior)
little noisier, but not by much
weaker stereo specs
lacks sunglass holder
smaller trunk and rear seat passenger headroom (sedan)
Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"My pick? If you add up my 19 scores for the categories on my score sheet (which I haven’t done because AJAC also includes a formula to factor in the price), and keep in mind relevance to the marketplace, I think you’ll find the Acura TSX marginally topped out the Toyota Solara. So it’s my choice from the head. But if you asked me which car impressed the most, regardless of scores, I’d go with the Mazda3 Sport. It’s $12,000 less than the Acura, which has to count for something. And as it turns out, my gut feelings were correct. The winner was the Mazda3 Sport. "
Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm not sure Mazda has hit the home run they were and we were all thinking they would with the 3. Maybe I'm way off but I just don't see this car setting sales records and bringing that many more people into the Mazda fold. At least not in Canada anyway, I think it may have been overpriced. It just does'nt impress me as much as I thought it would, especially the Sport.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

boy, you're a tough crowd domn.. it only started hitting the dealerships about 3 weeks ago, and already it's a sales disappointment!?!? ouch. I'm glad your'e not my boss!

As far as criticisms go, the only recurring theme seems to be that the 3 has lost some of the Protege's go-kart edge by going more sophisticated and refined, though it's seems to be acknowledged by reviewers as a necessary trade-off.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Domn,
Have you drivien this thing? My friend and I went out for a test drive of the 3 a week or so ago.... Frankly, I was impressed (to say the least). A car that looks decently good from the front (though the rear could use some, say, face-lift modifications), has a great interior, for a ridiculous price. I think its a great car, and for anyone looking to buy a civic or corolla, obviously this is the better choice
What i'm most excited for is the rebuttal that's going to occur from Toyota and Honda. In two years, when they have to redo their models, they now have to live up to (shudder) Mazda's highly set standards. I can't wait to see what they are going to have to do to surpass the 3.

And frankly, I'm still happy with my TSX. (But i see like 3 a day now... STOP BUYING MY CAR)

J.

p.s. so i've got a green key ring. you got a problem with that? It's 'limited edition' (ohhhhhhhh!)
Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by combustible1
boy, you're a tough crowd domn.. it only started hitting the dealerships about 3 weeks ago, and already it's a sales disappointment!?!? ouch. I'm glad your'e not my boss!

As far as criticisms go, the only recurring theme seems to be that the 3 has lost some of the Protege's go-kart edge by going more sophisticated and refined, though it's seems to be acknowledged by reviewers as a necessary trade-off.
I did'nt say it is or will be a sales dissapointed all I said was I think it won't do as well as Mazda thinks it will.

Early info really impressed me but now that the reviews are out it just does'nt do much for me. Just mt personal opinion. And at $23,500 CAD for the sport, its overpriced IMO. Canadians anyway don't pay $23K for econoboxes. And yes I know it starts at 16K CAD, but you get nothing at that price.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:43 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

In my opinion, after 2-3 years, the mazdas are not as tight as they are in the beginning. I mean, every car from every brand loosen up after a while but the Mazda seem worse than others.

I have a Protege 01 as a 3rd car and I have to say that it's got great qualities but the car is fallin apart!!! The maintenance and parts are expensive as well...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by lgregoir
The maintenance and parts are expensive as well...
Thats what I heard. I had 2 family mechanics tell me to stay away from Mazda for that reason.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Expensive....you should try maintaining a vw. I owend a mazda before the vw and all I can say is that vw bends you over and gives it to you in terms of repairs and parts.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro

Re: Canadian Car of the Year Finalists, including Mazda 3 & the Precious

Originally posted by combustible1
great handler
great brakes, incl. ABS w/EBD
spirited performing engine: optional 160hp on a 2800lb. car
folding side mirrors
6 disc changer optional
moonroof optional
Nav system optional
Xenons optional, which includes dash leveler switch btw
17" wheel optional
leather optional
fog lights optional
Your first 3 points assume the MZ3 out-handles, brakes and accelerates better than the TSX. Let's wait until the tests results are in.

TSX has folding mirrors; fogs and nav are both optional. You also missed a number of other features such as HomeLink and auto-dimming mirrors, LED instrument cluster.

If you're listing all those optional features as "pro" for the MZ3, you obviously don't want them. Therefore, should get the Mazda w/o all the lux fetures and save a wad of cash. The TSX is only a good deal for those who value these options, since you get them no matter what.