or will they . what do ya think ???
Old 09-05-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when subbie makes RWD
Old 09-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

sour grapes. sour grapes. sour grapes. sour grapes.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Helicobacter Pylori
when subbie makes RWD
so touchie ....omg
Old 09-05-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm allergic to bull

to sour grape

Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Bound for Europe

Just another mostly unused and un-necesary technology.

I'd say that AWD is just another weapon used in the constant efforts by car makers to set themselves apart from the rest.

Seriously, the "more is better" thinkers make up a majority of society. And nowhere comes close to the USA in the percentage of people who buy into this concept.

All us 4 cylinder Honda fans have been defending against this factor the day we bought our TSXs. How many times have you defended the 200HP engine as "all I need"? How many times do we have to explain why the cheaper V6 Accord isn't in our driveways? Forget that its a bit ugly, forget that it doesn't have a 6speed manual, forget that its...well...a frickin Accord. No, all that is unimportant because the Accord comes with a V6 at a lesser price. We fools forgot the importance of silly numbers and figures, and we'll see the sense of it when that Accord "beats" us off the line. Oh my ego won't handle it!! WAH!

Let's go back to AWD. Sure, the catchy commercials will lure us closer as they show the AWD equipped car driving with ease through sand dunes, big nasty puddles, and mud soaked backroads. Wowee indeed, as the announcer feeds us an impression of superiority, his low voice rising stronger as he nears the line which tells us the model being featured. That's right potential buyer, AWD is the sh*t, you need it, you want it. Damn now I feel left out. My pitiful FWD can't mash through a hurricane at 60mph. When I go out in a downpour and take corners at speed, my stupid car will slide all over. Sh*t!! I am a lesser man now. My friends will never believe my tales of GranTourismo wet condition heroics in my FWD TSX. I'm screwed.

You wanna talk safety? How bloody safe does a car have to be? 20 years ago I don't remember too many people dying without AWD to save them. No, most people take care in conditions that make driving a bit iffy. Well dammit, I missing out again it seems. If my TSX had AWD I could just blaze around like Colin McRae, careless in the comfort that technology has got my back. Yahooo!! I can't wait.

Audi was the originator. That's fine. Subaru is the Japanese version. That's fine as well. Every smaller company needs a distinctive offering to survive. The paranoid safety freaks are growing in numbers and capitalizing on their need to "feel" safe is why AWD is blowing up. Its just another feature one can list off when smugly describing his purchase.

"I've got blah, blah, blah.."
"Mine has all that too..."
"I've got AWD.."
"damn, I lose"

I know, I know, there are drivers who really do benefit from AWD and can actually drive at limits where AWD is quite beneficial. I was so close to getting a WRX. I saw the AWD as cool and all that, but at the same time I knew it didn't mean sh*t to my driving abilities.

The same unimportance I would get from owning a car with a class-leading HP figure. Yay, I've got 345HP and the nearest competition has only 333HP. God I'm smart. Those suckers ain't got nothing on me.

Enjoy your AWD Subaru. I've got nothing but praise for their design and styling. Great choice. That new Legacy GT has definitely caught my eye.

But please, don't think our lack of AWD makes us envious. It may bother a few, but I'm sure most of us are a bit past all that. Hell, we already "know" we bought the wrong car because...

- 4 cylinder
- FWD
- more expensive than a more powerful V6 Accord
- an Accord with Acura badging that suckered us
- low on torque
- a tarted up econobox
- Lance Armstrong doesn't say four words in the commercial.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I award 10 points to Helico for the anime and another 10 to Soze for a post that's too long for me to read however I'm sure it's good.

The honorable mention goes to subbie gt who earned himself a ban.