Buying leased TSX 07

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying leased TSX 07

I am planing to buy leased TSX 07 for 15,999 with 50K miles.I have already MDX Tech 09.

Is this good idea to buy leased cars though clean carfax?

Pls suggest me.

Thanks in Adv!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Clean Carfax is a fine start. Also get an Auto Check report to see if Carfax missed anything. Then, I would also get a once-over at a private mechanic and just really look it over yourself (and test drive it) to see if all is well.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude thats a lot of miles... I would have somebody look at it I dont think you can just make a blanket statement about buying a leased car
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Almost Doctor

I disagree with Jimmy. It's pretty typical that leased cars are not as cared for as personally owned vehicles. This is obviously due to the owner knowing it's "not really their vehicle". All the people I know that lease vehicles do the bare minimum in terms of preventative maintenance because they aren't going to see the vehicle when it is 6+ years old with 100K+ miles. I advised my brother-in-law against a leased '06 TSX with 40K, who didn't take my advice. His car is a total pile in comparison to my '05 with 90K. There are obvious exceptions to stereotypes but I'd be very critical when inspecting the car.

Also, 50K miles for an '07 is not "a lot of miles". It's barely more than the average 15K miles/year. Also, this can be a good sign, as the miles are likely all highway/freeway miles and so the car hasn't been short-tripped to death.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by huludicidal
I disagree with Jimmy. It's pretty typical that leased cars are not as cared for as personally owned vehicles. This is obviously due to the owner knowing it's "not really their vehicle". All the people I know that lease vehicles do the bare minimum in terms of preventative maintenance because they aren't going to see the vehicle when it is 6+ years old with 100K+ miles. I advised my brother-in-law against a leased '06 TSX with 40K, who didn't take my advice. His car is a total pile in comparison to my '05 with 90K. There are obvious exceptions to stereotypes but I'd be very critical when inspecting the car.

Also, 50K miles for an '07 is not "a lot of miles". It's barely more than the average 15K miles/year. Also, this can be a good sign, as the miles are likely all highway/freeway miles and so the car hasn't been short-tripped to death.
The reason I am buying another Acura is,I have second car which Nissan Altima 1998 with 140K ,so trying to trade in for 2grands(saving money) instead of throwing out and also looking for the same size car no need a large size like Accord and camry size.so interested in TSX and Infinity 07 years.TSX would give more mpg than infiniti g35.so still in dilemma to decide also trying to consider Jetta 07/08.

throw some pros and cons with your previous experience.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Almost Doctor

I too was looking for a TSX or G35 and ultimately decided the TSX was the right choice due to expected cost of ownership and value.

I'd buy a TSX if I were you but I would find one that wasn't a lease return but merely a trade-in, unless it's certified pre-owned by Acura and has an extended warranty. You can pretty much assume right away that any lease return will not have been taken care of.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are there service records for the TSX ? Proof of regular oil changes and other services would be good.

No history ? Think seriously about passing since there are 50,000 miles on the odometer and who knows what was skipped ?

A thorough inspection by a trusted mechanic is definitely needed. A lot of accidents DO NOT show up on CarFax or Autocheck.

Not all leased cars are abused....guess where the Acura CPO cars generally come from ? Acura CPO cars are generally 3 year old "off lease" cars.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
10th Gear

I purchased an off lease 06 TSX from a used car lot that sells higher end cars about a year ago. His wife drove the car for about 2 months before he put it on the lot. It had a clean Car Fax.

I may be an exception, but the car has been outstanding. It had 62000, and now has about 71000. After purchasing I took it to the local Acura dealership, and had all fluids changed and they gave it a clean bill of health. The only thing I found wrong after I bought it was one of the fog light lenses is broke, but still works. It is hard to find any flaws on the exterior, and other than a small amount of wear on the drivers seat bolster the interior looks new.

If you have an eye details, you can usually tell if the car has been loved.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Instructor

You might be buying my old car. I looked up the VIN and found it on a lot in Norrth Carolina. But I think it sold already.

Anywhoo...I took VERY good care of my leased TSX, becuase even though "it wasnt mine", I still had to drive it daily and wanted it to run right! Did my oil changes, rotated tires, changed filters, etc. I only skipped that mid maintainence the dealer wanted huge coin for and was nothing more than "check" or "inspect" this or that. Any other maintainence item was done. I will admit that I turned it in with almost-bald tires and it needed brakes all around, but that was just due to the fact these normal wear items were at end of their life cycle right about when my lease was almost up and it made no sense to do a front brake job and four new tires with two months to go on my lease. It wasnt due to neglect.

Last edited by RkFast; 08-20-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RkFast
You might be buying my old car. I looked up the VIN and found it on a lot in Norrth Carolina. But I think it sold already.

Anywhoo...I took VERY good care of my leased TSX, becuase even though "it wasnt mine", I still had to drive it daily and wanted it to run right! Did my oil changes, rotated tires, changed filters, etc. I only skipped that mid maintainence the dealer wanted huge coin for and was nothing more than "check" or "inspect" this or that. Any other maintainence item was done. I will admit that I turned it in with almost-bald tires and it needed brakes all around, but that was just due to the fact these normal wear items were at end of their life cycle right about when my lease was almost up and it made no sense to do a front brake job and four new tires with two months to go on my lease. It wasnt due to neglect.
I agree. I leased a number of Audi models before I moved to Acura, and I always treated them like they were my own. I think there may be a little confusion here in that it may be true that some who rent (the real word for lease) their car may not treat it that well, but I'm also not convinced that many owners treat them any better. Let's face it; buying used is a crap shoot to some degree no matter what the history is. Pre-owned (versus off lease) may offer some minor comfort, but I wouldn't paint all of either with the same brush.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 crapshoot. Any used car regardless of it being a lease or not could have potential issues. You just need to hope for the best and expect possibly the worst. I bought my 07 CPO TSX off a lease and it has been great so far (knock on wood). I did buy it with only 23k miles on it so it wasn't driven as a typical owner would. There is a scratch on the front bumper that was touched up but the rest of the exterior is in great condition.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
+1 crapshoot. Any used car regardless of it being a lease or not could have potential issues. You just need to hope for the best and expect possibly the worst. I bought my 07 CPO TSX off a lease and it has been great so far (knock on wood). I did buy it with only 23k miles on it so it wasn't driven as a typical owner would. There is a scratch on the front bumper that was touched up but the rest of the exterior is in great condition.
That sounds a lot like my TSX that I bought in June.