Buyers remorse or did I make a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyers remorse or did I make a good choice?

It's almost been a month since I bought the Tsx and sometimes I feel I should've spend the extra $4,000-6,000 and got the new TL instead or bought the Is300? I don't know I'm still certain I made the right choice.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

1. too late
2. higher insurance
3. tl is uglier
4. raped on the options?

Old 01-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Any particular reason that you feel it was a mistake? I bought the TSX without the navi and that's the only mistake I made...
Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Race Director

mistake cause later on in life i know i will want a V6 engine in a car. is the TL in your eyes uglier than the Tsx?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I regretted not getting the navi for a min yesterday as I got lost a couple times driving to PA yesterday. But got over that quick thinking about what else I could buy w/ 2k.

Spending extra 4-6k is quite a lot to be regretting. Unless you have it on hand, there's consequences of spending that much more.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
You know what - I had the same feeling when I first got the car! I thought that I should have got the TL instead... but now the more I drive it, and the more I see the TL, I know that I made the right decision in sticking with the TSX. Not only is the handling better, it also looks so much better. The styling of the TSX is timeless but the TL's styling probably won't age as well. OK, I would have liked the V6 with more low end torque, but I love the fuel efficiency of the TSX. Also, the more mileage I put on my TSX, the sweeter and more responsive the engine gets :-)
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Beleive me, the TSX is more rewarding than the TL (driving wise)... Also, other than the Engine (and maybe the audio system), I don't see why you are looking at the TL. The bigger rear end? The 4 spoke steering wheel? The gas consumption? The higher insurance rate? The 2 extra litre of cabin space (don't know exactly).

Do not consider the TSX like a entry level TL... The TSX is a different car.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Racer

Re: Buyers remorse or did I make a good choice?

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
It's almost been a month since I bought the Tsx and sometimes I feel I should've spend the extra $4,000-6,000 and got the new TL instead or bought the Is300? I don't know I'm still certain I made the right choice.
You are the only person who can answer your question. If you're gonna keep whining about your car though, maybe it's time for you to get something else.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

TL people might not like this...but when I saw the new TL I thought "EEK, Pontiac Bonneville Clone!!" :sqnteek:

Seriously though...it looks too "beefy" to me. I really like the TSX's clean crisp lines. Very trendy. And in today's age of ever-increasing prices and ever-shrinking salaries...I think the TSX is a good catch for those looking for a little fun in their everyday commute that's also pampering.

I couldn't justify the 2K for the navi, though it would've been nice to see CD track time and average mpg calculation. I have $24 GPS map software on my PDA that is just as good at finding routes and I can use it in rentals when on vacation too!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I want to get into this within the context of this thread, but I'm something of a PDA/GPS enthusiast. I have four PDAs and have tried nearly every GPS option out there. Nothing comes close to the system in the Acura.

Basically, the argument that you $24 PDA solution works as well as the TSX's nav system is a lot like saying that a $40 Sony Walkman sounds as good as a good car audio system.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

well I said it was good at finding routes, I didn't say it out ran the acura nav system in terms of speed, accuracy, points of interest let alone features.

The Navi isn't worth it to me because I don't live in a concrete jungle like LA or DC and I don't travel outside my state too much. But when I did travel in NY and DC it was a real life (time) saver.

Ok, back to topic!

Cheers,
SB
Old 01-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
It has crossed my mind with the TL, but I just like the styling of the TSX better plus it suits me perfectly. Not to mention I'd have to transport my hockey sticks in the backseat.
No mistake not getting the navi, but I'm probably going to get the Garmin iQue PDA/GPS. My boss has one and it's great!! Also, I might be able to get it reimbursed for all the travelling we do.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:59 AM
The Voice of Reason

Yeah, now that I've accumulated 130k miles on my Volvo wagon I really wonder if I should have bought the 528iT wagon instead. I'll decide when I turn the Volvo's keys over to my kid, at 140k+. Since Consumer Reports recommended the Volvo, and since Road & Track liked it too it seemed like a reasonable car to buy. Who could have known about the poltergeists in the electrical system? Fun to drive but what a pain! Shoulda-woulda-coulda, if only I had a crystal ball! (Then I would have bought Microsoft and Wal-Mart when they were $1/share!)

As for the Acura, it's a vanilla-white $26k Honda 4-door sedan with a stick shift. How could that POSSIBLY be a mistake???
Old 01-15-2004, 11:22 AM
G35 Freak

THis is the same situation I am in, but I haven't bought the car yet. I am trying to determine if the TL is worth the extra money. I really don't like the styling, but the interior is beautiful. I hear there is more space, but the numbers don't really show that. It inly has a little more rear seat legroom and some minor headroom up front. What have you guys determined???
Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
THis is the same situation I am in, but I haven't bought the car yet. I am trying to determine if the TL is worth the extra money. I really don't like the styling, but the interior is beautiful. I hear there is more space, but the numbers don't really show that. It inly has a little more rear seat legroom and some minor headroom up front. What have you guys determined???
The rear seat doesn't fold down, which makes the TL a non-starter for me...
Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by D_Nyholm
but the interior is beautiful.
From my brief time in the TL, I got the impression that the TSX's interior was better built and was made of better quality materials. I was very surprised to say the least but the TL's interior just looked cheaper to me. I also think the TSX's int flows much nicer.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by domn
From my brief time in the TL, I got the impression that the TSX's interior was better built and was made of better quality materials. I was very surprised to say the least but the TL's interior just looked cheaper to me. I also think the TSX's int flows much nicer.
i agree the TSX interior looks better, the TL is cheap looking and feels that way too, just like the old TL. the TSX is a better car quality wise and much better car to drive than the TL, the TL feels like a land yacht compared to the TSX.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

comming from a 2001 TL with Navi 2 things come to my mind about your question. 1 the new TL while i would have preferred it having come from a TL to begin with i still like the TSX better. the size is just perfect, not too big not too small. also the drive quality of the TSX is similar to the new TL but the TL feels a lot bigger and softer.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:44 PM

This thread is a perfect example of Acuras issues. If owners of the entry level Acura truly believe the next level is not a better car, this speaks VOLUMES of their issues.

I cannot imagine a 3 owners saying the new 5 is not as well built etc etc. Or c-class owners saying they rather their car than a E-class.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
ISICKLEX, I think that many of us are saying that the TL is really a DIFFERENT car, rather than a WORSE car. We just happened to think that the TSX suits us better and therefore we bought the car! I am sure that there are many (esp. those who are NOT in this forum!) who test drove both cars and found the TL to be better suited for their needs and the likes. The TSX appeals to a younger crowd than the TL.

I am sure that many 3 series drivers would rather keep their 3 series than to drive a 5 series, for similar reasons - not that the 3 series is necessarily a BETTER car, it's just a different car that suits them better.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by ostrich
there are many (esp. those who are NOT in this forum!)
No kidding, this is a TSX forum after all. Everyone decided to buy this car for a reason, take it to a TL or Acura forum and I'm sure people will be on the other side of the fence.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
This thread is a perfect example of Acuras issues. If owners of the entry level Acura truly believe the next level is not a better car, this speaks VOLUMES of their issues.

I cannot imagine a 3 owners saying the new 5 is not as well built etc etc. Or c-class owners saying they rather their car than a E-class.
What do you drive?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The higher insurance rate?" - acutally, the TSX would be slightly more expensive for me than a TL when it comes to insurance....

I'm torn between the TSX and TL. Come spring, I'll drive them back to back and decide. I personally think both cars look great, and that the TL looks slightly better overall proportionally. When it comes to the instrument panel, I think the TSX has the edge because I don't like the in-set dials in the TL as much as the clean "window" in the TSX. Interior quality - I give the TL the edge, but it really depends on what is being discussed. Power - well, obviously the TL. Ride comfort - TL. Handling - TSX, but the TL is definitely no slouch, especially when you replace the horrid stock tires (from what I've heard). Turning radius - wtf is up with Acura? Both cars suck... this may rule out both cars since I live in the city and park in so many garages. Back seat - I think its rediculous that the TL back seat does not fold down, which may rule it out for me.

It's definitely a personal choice. I guess at 30 (in 1 week) I fall right in the middle in that both cars appeal to me. I consider myself lucky that I'll be able to afford buying either one, though I'm sure I'll miss my '96 Integra LS....
Old 01-15-2004, 06:00 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
i agree the TSX interior looks better, the TL is cheap looking and feels that way too, just like the old TL. the TSX is a better car quality wise and much better car to drive than the TL, the TL feels like a land yacht compared to the TSX.
Yeah its cheap looking...yeah the TL sux man...do not buy this car.

do you know what you are...a wanna be baller...that can't ball.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by justinjsw
Yeah its cheap looking...yeah the TL sux man...do not buy this car.

do you know what you are...a wanna be baller...that can't ball.
um...okay...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Instructor

its impossible to build a car to make everyone happy. saying that, it is unfair to really compare the tsx and tl. although they are only about $5K in price difference, it represents about 20% price increase.

these 2 cars are different for a reason. they target different audiences. the tsx is geared more towards the young professional looking for an entry level luxury car, with a good amt of sport. the tl is more sophisticated, and has more brute power, but at the cost of finesse.

having owned my tsx for almost 9 months, i can tell you the car only gets better with age.

if stock isn't good enough, you can really change the character of the car with a modest $500 - $1500 investment. then invest the remaining $4K in the stock market, and sell the car and stock in 4 years and buy a ferrari!!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:23 PM
More On

Hmmmm. Most of this thread looks like my posts from 4 months ago.

Like I say, I'm not totally crazy, just a little ahead of the curve.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Your ahead of your time Larch

You did say all these things awhile ago. Kinda scary.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by KJLite

if stock isn't good enough, you can really change the character of the car with a modest $500 - $1500 investment. then invest the remaining $4K in the stock market, and sell the car and stock in 4 years and buy a ferrari!!
I am very interested in knowing which stock you are referring to