Bring my car back

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring my car back

Hi everyone,
I am going to go back to my country (Thailand) for good.
So, I did some research about how to bring my car back.
It didn't go that far. Anyway

Right now, what I am thinking is how to bring the car back and how it's going to cost me. Also, in Thailand the driver is on the right side, I have an idea to change steeling and all front console to the right side.

What do you guy thinking? and do you think it is worsted? Anyone did this before? oh....i forgot to tell you guy that there is no TSX selling in Thailand.

Thank you
TSX 2007 Carbon Grey Pearl
- 19" volk CE-28
- Injen SP
- Tein S
- 3M Lip Spoiler
- 30% tint
Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Left to right steering change is going to be extremely expensive... if possible. I'd sell and then import a RHD from Japan or Europe (although it'll be a Honda).
Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Instructor

I would suggest selling and buying the equivalent Honda product in Thailand. Changing driver's side is not likely to be feasible. If it were feasible, it would probably cost as much, if not more, than selling and then buying a replacement in Thailand. You also have the questions of maintenance and parts availability. Keep in mind the exchange rate when looking at the cost of a replacement purchased in Thailand. And, as you know, the TSX holds it value well.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Instructor

oh....really?
um...Because if I plan to buy tsx in thailand the cost of import, tax, car, etc is more than 90,000 US dollars. Due to the tax, it is 200% of the actual car. I ' know what do you guy think now? oh, and by the way, to import the car back is 4000$.

thank you again and sorry for late reply
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flookiez
oh....really?
um...Because if I plan to buy tsx in thailand the cost of import, tax, car, etc is more than 90,000 US dollars. Due to the tax, it is 200% of the actual car. I ' know what do you guy think now? oh, and by the way, to import the car back is 4000$.

thank you again and sorry for late reply
Wow, now it makes sense to RHD it and import it back.

Look for Honda Accord CL7/CL9 RHD dashboard guage parts from Honda Thailand or import it straight from Japan, it will still be way cheaper than $90000.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced

that's crazy...i think its also like that in a few countries..the taxes screw everything
Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow! I was going to say just get an equivalent from Japan or Europe, but $90,000!?! That's insane.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuson
Wow, now it makes sense to RHD it and import it back.

Look for Honda Accord CL7/CL9 RHD dashboard guage parts from Honda Thailand or import it straight from Japan, it will still be way cheaper than $90000.
OK, I will do that.
Also, should I look at the center console (nav, gear, etc)also? I am thinking to just leave the original center part where it is now. and just buy the others.

Another question is that, some people told me that it would be good idea to import all parts to here first and bring them with the car to thailand to get install over there. The labor cost is a lot cheaper there. On the other hand, there are some examples happened in the past. People asking Thai people install and change there are and at the end, the car unable to drive anymore.

So there are 3 options now.
- import part to US and get it completely install here
- import part to US and install in Thailand due to the labor cost
- bring the car back and import and install in Thailand.

Thank you guys
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

Wow! I was going to say just get an equivalent from Japan or Europe, but $90,000!?! That's insane.
Yea...with 90000, I can do so many things with my car.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Unauthorized User

For 90k you can get a Porsche Carrera 4S easy here. Not worth it to buy it in Thailand, Probably best to just ship your car over and do the conversion.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Instructor

is there anyone know the place that I can talk about this?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I'm still not understanding what the advantage of exporting the US spec TSX is over say a Japan spec TSX (or any other RHD country for that matter).

From what I'm reading from the OP, the car costs $90k to purchase in Thailand. I'm not familiar with the duties and taxes, but would it not make much difference whether he/she imports it from Japan, Australia, USA or Canada? If there's not difference, wouldn't it be better to purchase a RHD model from a country that's already RHD rather than do a conversion? I'm assuming the import taxes, duties, etc will be the same regardless of which country he imports from since the taxes, etc aren't calculated specifically from the origin of the car. (for example, if I bought a car into Canada, they would still charge GST (5%), PST (7%) and the specific duties (8%) regardless of whether the car came from Germany, Australia, France or Italy)

Like the OP said, there's also no guarantee the conversion is going to go flawlessly once he's got all the parts and has the car imported. When it's all said and done, parts and labour may push it close to the 90k mark if the mechanic doesn't know what he's doing and royally screws things up. I'd try to sell the US car, and find a RHD version of the car. If you want it to look as US spec as possible, hunt down all the badging in the US and mount it to your car when you find a RHD model.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by syee99
I'm still not understanding what the advantage of exporting the US spec TSX is over say a Japan spec TSX (or any other RHD country for that matter).

From what I'm reading from the OP, the car costs $90k to purchase in Thailand. I'm not familiar with the duties and taxes, but would it not make much difference whether he/she imports it from Japan, Australia, USA or Canada? If there's not difference, wouldn't it be better to purchase a RHD model from a country that's already RHD rather than do a conversion? I'm assuming the import taxes, duties, etc will be the same regardless of which country he imports from since the taxes, etc aren't calculated specifically from the origin of the car. (for example, if I bought a car into Canada, they would still charge GST (5%), PST (7%) and the specific duties (8%) regardless of whether the car came from Germany, Australia, France or Italy)

Like the OP said, there's also no guarantee the conversion is going to go flawlessly once he's got all the parts and has the car imported. When it's all said and done, parts and labour may push it close to the 90k mark if the mechanic doesn't know what he's doing and royally screws things up. I'd try to sell the US car, and find a RHD version of the car. If you want it to look as US spec as possible, hunt down all the badging in the US and mount it to your car when you find a RHD model.
First of all, thank you for your opinion and perspective.
I am an owner of this car for 1 almost 2 years.
And there are many people try and claim that if I used the car more than 2 years. I don't need to pay any tax to bring the car back to Thailand. This is for an international Student. I don't know it is right or not but I will check it again about this information.