Break in Style?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
:whocares: Oh and by the way, don't waste my time by reporting a post from curls calling him a troll. You got what you deserved. Period.

We don't sanction people for disagreeing with you. This site wasn't built for you or around you, believe it or not.
Disagreeing is one thing, but geeze have a little class? Name calling is a little tacky don't you think? Usually not appreciated in forums with grown-ups.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HollywoodTSX
Disagreeing is one thing, but geeze have a little class? Name calling is a little tacky don't you think? Usually not appreciated in forums with grown-ups.
You got called an ignorant prick, and I totally agree with curls for that.

If you'd have been through what he's been through because the preceding owner was careless and pretty much ruined his engine for that, you'd probably react the same way. Is it so hard for you to put yourself in someone else's shoes? If at your age you can't even do this, don't come schooling anyone here about their classless attitude.

Sleep in the bed you made for yourself.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Honda designed and built the engine, yes. And their goal is to get it to run for 50k miles with no problmes (the warranty period).
Honda may be a large corporation looking at the bottom line, but that is certainly not their engine reliability goal. That was the goal for Yugo and Hyundai in the 1980s. Honda's success in the west is built on the reliability they beat us over the head with in the '80s and '90s. If they lose that, they end up with U.S. domestic quality and are left with a tainted brand (like Hyundai is fighting to restore).
Old 02-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Advanced

You got called an ignorant prick, and I totally agree with curls for that.

If you'd have been through what he's been through because the preceding owner was careless and pretty much ruined his engine for that, you'd probably react the same way. Is it so hard for you to put yourself in someone else's shoes? If at your age you can't even do this, don't come schooling anyone here about their classless attitude.
I don't buy used cars, but even if I did and had my feelings hurt I wouldn't stoop to name calling. It's a shame people can't express their opinions without insulting others, more so that a public forum allows/encourages such poor manners.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't buy used cars, but even if I did and had my feelings hurt I wouldn't stoop to name calling. It's a shame people can't express their opinions without insulting others, more so that a public forum allows/encourages such poor manners.
Maybe it came across harsh, maybe it didn't. It depends whose shoes you're in.

Either way, I think you should have respect for other peoples <future> property.

And aren't you so special for never buying a used car, always a new one. Impressive.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's pretty simple. If this place isn't good enough for you, no one holds you here. I don't see anyone complaining about this here. Looks like you have a problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waterrockets
Honda may be a large corporation looking at the bottom line, but that is certainly not their engine reliability goal. That was the goal for Yugo and Hyundai in the 1980s. Honda's success in the west is built on the reliability they beat us over the head with in the '80s and '90s. If they lose that, they end up with U.S. domestic quality and are left with a tainted brand (like Hyundai is fighting to restore).
Your quote conveniently leaves out my next sentence....

Anyway, reliability issues that come up as a result of a poor/harsh break in really aren't Honda's fault no matter what their reliability reputation is. You can't abuse a car and then blame the manufacturer for the problems that show up because of it. If you follow what the manual says about break in, you're in no danger of messing up anything. It's probably not optimal, but it's not bad. That's all I was trying to say.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:08 AM
Advanced

It's pretty simple. If this place isn't good enough for you, no one holds you here. I don't see anyone complaining about this here. Looks like you have a problem.
Indeed. Or perhaps others are offended by the childish behavior and ineffective moderation but are afraid to speak up?

I thought the point was to share opinions, good or bad, about the topic at hand and not our views on other posters. I hope we can get back to doing so in a more adult fashion and leave the name calling to the Chevy truck forums.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curls
Either way, I think you should have respect for other peoples <future> property.
I think that's kind of silly, and I believe if you think about it you will too.

I don't worry about getting a stain on a shirt because the next owner might not want it.

I don't worry about painting a wall or adding a room on my house because of the next owner might not like it.

I'm certainly not going to worry about what the next owner might think of my car. If they're so worried about break-in, then they should buy a new car that they can afford or do whatever tests they need before they buy it. Their wants are not my concern, and I doubt anyone else breaks their car in especially out of concern for possible future owners. Give me a break.

To insult me because I disagree about break in because someday someone else might buy the car is just absurd.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Your quote conveniently leaves out my next sentence....
I'm like the American press.

Anyway, reliability issues that come up as a result of a poor/harsh break in really aren't Honda's fault no matter what their reliability reputation is. You can't abuse a car and then blame the manufacturer for the problems that show up because of it. If you follow what the manual says about break in, you're in no danger of messing up anything. It's probably not optimal, but it's not bad. That's all I was trying to say.
Roger. I see.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm certainly not going to worry about what the next owner might think of my car. If they're so worried about break-in, then they should buy a new car that they can afford or do whatever tests they need before they buy it. Their wants are not my concern, and I doubt anyone else breaks their car in especially out of concern for possible future owners. Give me a break.

To insult me because I disagree about break in because someday someone else might buy the car is just absurd.
Well, let me rephrase that for you then. You're an inconsiderate and condescending jerk. You're absolutely full of yourself.

Now let's get back on topic, it is a worthy of a good discussion. Enough with the hijacking.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:15 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, let me rephrase that for you then. You're an inconsiderate and condescending jerk. You're absolutely full of yourself.

Now let's get back on topic, it is a worthy of a good discussion. Enough with the hijacking.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I'm like the American press....
Good one.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Sorry I'm late on this thread, but that site is total bunk. The truth is you need to follow your manufacturers stated breakin procedure. Why? Because tolerances today are so tight that you can cause engine damage if you drive the piss out of it too soon. Problem with sites like this is they mix some truth with bullshit. So lots of folks take it as gospel when its just flat wrong. Yes hard acceleration pushes the rings out but with tolerances in todays motor this can cause more harm then good. As most of you already know the rings are not fully seated and have not worn in properly. Excessive abuse during the break in period can cause problems not only with the rings but it can cause the rings to scar the cylinder walls. NOT a good thing.

In short FOLLOW the manufacturers recommended procedure.
I take everything I read with a grain of salt. Has anyone on here actually had there engine apart to see what the side of there pistons look like. I'm just saying that the dealer doesn't care if your rings seal tighter, but they do have an interest in preventing owners from grenading there engines. I will be putting more load on my next car as I believe there is some truth in getting the rings seated properly, I'm definately not going to baby it.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, Honda took curls' engine apart and the oil control ring was basically carbonized. I would imagine what he's putting forward in this thread emanates from the discussions he's had with the guys who rebuilt his engine.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisa04tsx
I take everything I read with a grain of salt. Has anyone on here actually had there engine apart to see what the side of there pistons look like. I'm just saying that the dealer doesn't care if your rings seal tighter, but they do have an interest in preventing owners from grenading there engines. I will be putting more load on my next car as I believe there is some truth in getting the rings seated properly, I'm definately not going to baby it.
Pistons were washed (every one), meaning oil was getting by at an alarming rate. as I stated before, it is very highly likely that the car was broken in on the highway, improperly.

Yeah, Honda took curls' engine apart and the oil control ring was basically carbonized. I would imagine what he's putting forward in this thread emanates from the discussions he's had with the guys who rebuilt his engine.
Yes, most of what I stated above is from personal experience and knowledge from the head tech at the dealership. Some, of course, is opinion, but is based on fact and other experiences I've personally had.