Break In/Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004 | 08:15 PM
Orangeblood

Break In/Roadtrip

I have about 350 miles on my TSX. Been doing clutch_performer's breakin routine of up to 3500 first 100, 3750 second 100, 4000 on third 100.

I should be up to 400+ miles by end of week and thus around 4250 rpm wise.

I want to go on a short roadtrip to a college baseball game 90 miles away this Friday. If I keep under 4250 moving between 5th and 6th (maybe even 4th here and there) and stay off constant rpm, think this is a good or bad idea break-in wise?

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-12-2004 | 08:38 PM
Instructor

See, the problem with this break-in technique is that you will have to change oil early. But Acura claims that they have "special" oil in the engine and DO NOT recommand anyone to change the oil early, these oil have special addictive stuff (or whatever) in it that helps the engine to run-in.

I have 3800 km on mine now and I'm planning to change oil soon. (the manual stated 8000km or 4 months and I have owned the car for 4.5 months now). So I am now starting to do the "slow rev" to 5000...5100..5500 rpm, so at least before the first oil change, the engine will get a feel of all rpms.

Not sure what's right or wrong but I've been resarching for first oil change for a while and I think this way is a balance of all different technique.

Or maybe I have already done something wrong on my engine

Just to give you more info

Btw, what kind of oil are you planning to put in? Everyone should have 2 free oil changes and in acura's website, it stated that they will use "Speical Honda Oil" that will also help the engine to run in...however, when I called my dealer, they said they will use special oil and I asked them the brand, they said....Patrol Canada!! (one of the cheapest out there). So I decided to give up on those free oil changes and put in Castrol GTX on my own.

At the end, it might not make a difference but I just feel better feeding the car some high quality oil.
Old 04-12-2004 | 09:33 PM
Orangeblood

I havent even gotten as far as an oil change, thinkingwise. I was thinking 3750, though.

You canucks have shorter service intervals recommended than we do, I guess because of the harsher conditions. We don't get free oil changes either.

I will probably go with a synthetic, but like I said haven't gotten there yet.

I reviewed clutch's breakin plan and I have probably been going at it a bit slowly (he says every drive increase 200 rpm, I've been doing so every 100 miles or so).

I come from a long line of V8's so its hard to adjust to seeing a tach needle much higher than about 4000. Curiously, though, I haven't been fazed by the 0-3000 runup that's so routine for the 1-2-3 shift in the TSX. Much over 3000 was a rare sight in the Northstar Aurora, which redlined at 6800.
Old 04-12-2004 | 10:33 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Re: Break In/Roadtrip

Originally posted by MarkPinTx
I want to go on a short roadtrip to a college baseball game 90 miles away this Friday. If I keep under 4250 moving between 5th and 6th (maybe even 4th here and there) and stay off constant rpm, think this is a good or bad idea break-in wise?

Thoughts appreciated.
How about just take some back roads? That will give you a broader ranger of RPM anyway.

Incidentally, I think the "constant rpm" issue means very constant. In the good old days when break-in was more of an issue, even varying your speed up and down by 5 mph was enough. If you're on a limited access highway interstate, you can poke in the slow lane for a while, speed up and move to the left, etc.
Old 04-12-2004 | 10:42 PM
Orangeblood

How about just take some back roads? That will give you a broader ranger of RPM anyway.
Good idea! Now you come up with a compelling reason for Navi!

Oh well guess I'll just mapquest and think of the money I'm saving.

I'm reasonably sure on I35 (Dallas to Waco) I can shoot back and forth from left to right lane and shift 456 and vary rpms considerably without making myself dizzy!

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Re: Break In/Roadtrip

Originally posted by MarkPinTx
I have about 350 miles on my TSX. Been doing clutch_performer's breakin routine of up to 3500 first 100, 3750 second 100, 4000 on third 100.

I should be up to 400+ miles by end of week and thus around 4250 rpm wise.

Thoughts appreciated.
I think you'll be fine, particularly if you do pick some backroads (like rb1 suggested). City driving is more conducive to break-in as you go from stoplight to stoplight but as long as you vary your RPMs (as you have been doing and plan to continue) you'll be fine.