break in/ Group buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
break in/ Group buy

It was discussed about in the group buy, that it would be a bad idea to drive your new car so far from northern california to southern california because of the break in period. Do you guy's think the car will have to high an RPM on the freeway for proper break-in? My car in 5th gear on the freeway @ 75 mph runs @ about 3500 rpm. Where does the tsx auto/man run at? Also.. have you ever taken one for a test drive? Obviously you see what it has, and take it out on the freeway. what do you guy's think?
Old 10-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

about the same depends at what speed at 80ish its about 3000rpm i beleive maybe a bit higher i know its at the 9 oclock position around 75 to 80 but u hafta b careful of the merging and what not cuz u dont wanna hafta make the rpms jump up if someone cuts u off or does something stupid
Old 10-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
about the same depends at what speed at 80ish its about 3000rpm i beleive maybe a bit higher i know its at the 9 oclock position around 75 to 80 but u hafta b careful of the merging and what not cuz u dont wanna hafta make the rpms jump up if someone cuts u off or does something stupid

dont think that will be a big problem considering my car 100hp, i can do it without tromping on it too much
Old 10-23-2004, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

I dont understand. I bought my rsx in fresno and they had to have it drivin here from a dealership in frisco or something because I wanted leather. If the dealerships drive cars from town to town why cant you do it?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Racer

This actually spawned from the fact of the break in period on your car. You are only supposed to drive at certain rpm's for the first 1000 miles. Also what about using cruise control, i heard on another forum, a mazda forum during break in period of a car, you are not supposed to use cruise control
Old 10-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Actually, driving between LA and SF would be great for break-in, but you might prefer to drive a bit slower than you would normally. In the 5AT, I don't think it would be a problem, as the gearing is a bit higher. Keep it 70 or under and you'd be OK. The 6MT probably would require somewhat slower speeds.

The reason I think it would actually be pretty good is that continuous moderate power settings are the best possible thing for break in. Ideal break is driving 1000 miles at moderate speed on a flat road with no starts and stops. It's not practical, but you should shoot for being as close to that ideal as possible.

Driving SF to LA at 55-65mph would be pretty good. Drive to Harris Ranch, have a nice steak for lunch and a tank of gas, then complete the drive. Don't worry that you take 7 hours instead of 5. Just enjoy it.

Alternately, drive down the coast nice and slow for 10-11 hours.

Cruise control is fine on most of that road. The reason some companies recommend against it is that if you're on hilly terrain, the cruise control could push things pretty hard to maintain speed on an uphill, and that's bad for break in. Easiest thing for the manufacturer to do is say "no cruise control" rather than come up with detailed explainations of how to avoid high power settings. For the SF-LA drive I'd disconnect cruise for the uphill sections of 580, then again across the San Gabriels. From Altamont to Tejon Ranch things are pretty flat and you're fine just letting it cruise.

Incidentally, you should not avoid only high RPMs, but also any other high power setting. Going even 65mph on a steep uphill is going to take an awful lot of power even if you limit RPMs by keeping it in a higher than normal gear. Doing 2500RPM in sixth when the conditions warrant 3500RPM in fourth, is not a good idea! Yeah, you're keeping the RPM down, but are destroying your engine in other ways. In that kind of situation, you've got to keep the car in the right gear, keep the RPMs low, and just slow down. Cruise control won't do this for you, so it's best to disconnect it for the hilly sections.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX
Actually, driving between LA and SF would be great for break-in, but you might prefer to drive a bit slower than you would normally. In the 5AT, I don't think it would be a problem, as the gearing is a bit higher. Keep it 70 or under and you'd be OK. The 6MT probably would require somewhat slower speeds.

The reason I think it would actually be pretty good is that continuous moderate power settings are the best possible thing for break in. Ideal break is driving 1000 miles at moderate speed on a flat road with no starts and stops. It's not practical, but you should shoot for being as close to that ideal as possible.

Driving SF to LA at 55-65mph would be pretty good. Drive to Harris Ranch, have a nice steak for lunch and a tank of gas, then complete the drive. Don't worry that you take 7 hours instead of 5. Just enjoy it.

Alternately, drive down the coast nice and slow for 10-11 hours.

Cruise control is fine on most of that road. The reason some companies recommend against it is that if you're on hilly terrain, the cruise control could push things pretty hard to maintain speed on an uphill, and that's bad for break in. Easiest thing for the manufacturer to do is say "no cruise control" rather than come up with detailed explainations of how to avoid high power settings. For the SF-LA drive I'd disconnect cruise for the uphill sections of 580, then again across the San Gabriels. From Altamont to Tejon Ranch things are pretty flat and you're fine just letting it cruise.

Incidentally, you should not avoid only high RPMs, but also any other high power setting. Going even 65mph on a steep uphill is going to take an awful lot of power even if you limit RPMs by keeping it in a higher than normal gear. Doing 2500RPM in sixth when the conditions warrant 3500RPM in fourth, is not a good idea! Yeah, you're keeping the RPM down, but are destroying your engine in other ways. In that kind of situation, you've got to keep the car in the right gear, keep the RPMs low, and just slow down. Cruise control won't do this for you, so it's best to disconnect it for the hilly sections.

excellent article.. Not sure exactly where we will be buying cars from, but we will see around late dec.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Instructor

why will anyone buy a car from that far away? is it that much cheaper? if the difference is only 500 or less.. i just buy it close by my house.. not worth the trouble and all the miles on your new car already and driven by stranger.. most of them dont treat cars like they own.. so think twice..
high hills stop and go.. etc.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by achan268888
why will anyone buy a car from that far away? is it that much cheaper? if the difference is only 500 or less.. i just buy it close by my house.. not worth the trouble and all the miles on your new car already and driven by stranger.. most of them dont treat cars like they own.. so think twice..
high hills stop and go.. etc.
cause we are going to be doing a group buy. 10-15 of us are trying to buy cars at the same time. if we can get one dealer to go really low, then we will all go buy from them. Also i will be picking up my car myself. and a few hundred extra miles is nothing.