A brave new world...where a TSX is more desirable than a 3-Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Call me old school...Oil changes at 3000 miles. The problem is not the engines, it is the oil. It breaks down with heat and gets dirty. Just putting on a high flow air filter will cause more oil contamination. Yeah, I checked my oil at 3k and it is still honey colored, which is really comforting knowing I'll be changing my oil BEFORE it gets dirty enough to cause any seal or gasket deterioration.

Synthetics...yeah, I could see them lasting longer for sure, but it doesn't help you in the dirt department. And I still think paying 1/2 as much to change twice as often makes my tummy feel fuzzier. Like I said, call me old school

Marcus
You know... our cars have oil filters to filter out dirt from the oil.

Just because the oil is black does NOT mean its necessarily dirty or in any way degraded or harming your engine. Really, the only thing that one should be concerned with is the oils' viscosity after X miles. Oils can shear down to very low viscosity (little protection) without even turning brown, let alone black. Conversely, many oils will turn near-black almost immediately after an oil change as the detergents in the oil are working, and all but the finest of fine particles are then trapped in the oil filter.

Must you change oil at 3K? No. Does it make you feel good? Damn right. Continue to do so? Why not if its makes you feel good!

I'm not knocking the practice, I'm just saying it's probably a bit OCD to do so. I'll admit -- I do mine every 6 months regardless of mileage (could be only 4K miles in those 6 months), basically because I'm bored and want to, not because it is required to be done then.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I like the sounds of what you may have your sleeve. I can't wait to hear more.

While I'm a poor college student right now, , I've said from day 1 and continue to say that I'll have my TSX for a LONG time. I plan on keeping it as a project car the day that I have a job and buy another one (car in general...not necessarily a TSX).
Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, so I pulled the trigger on a "new" 3 series last week.

I found a 2006 325i CPO (6yr/100K mile warranty) with 46K miles (Premium and Sports package, Xenon, Heated Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Back-up sensors, and Automatic) for $20,500 out the door. The car has brand new brakes (front and rear) and tires, a fresh oil change, and the power steering and brake fluid was changed prior to sale. All maintenance is up to date and won't be due for at least 14K miles, when my next oil change is due.

The car is in great shape. The interior and exterior are near flawless (with the exception of 2 small rock chips on the hood, which have been touched up with touch-up paint, and a very small rub mark on the bottom of the right rear door). This car is in better condition than my 07 TSX with only 38K miles.

I have been busy and it has been rainy here but I'll post pictures in a new thread as soon as I take some this afternoon.

BTW, the car drives and handles like a dream! It only has 10 more ponies than the TSX, but it feels much faster (probably because the 0-60 times are 6.7 seconds in the BMW compared to 7.9 seconds for the TSX, if both cars are 6M). The car has plenty of power for my needs and I have actually achieved better fuel efficiency on the highway than with the TSX (I got 33.6 MPG on a 500 mile road trip last week in the BMW, the best I ever got with the TSX was 33.2).
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple words.. If you want to spend money on maintenance and parts and what not get a beeemer had one my friends are crazy bout them and they have problems almost every month.. I on the other hand upgraded to a TSX best move i made.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Thing is, I want my cake and to eat it too.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Super hot blonde athletic model looking chick that like to go out and party, wear expensive clothes and jewelry, max out her credit cards, wants the husband to work so she doesn't have to = BMW

OK looking blonde chick, so so athletic, she likes to also work, not live beyond her means and have a stable family = TSX
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
This, in fact, is no insult since Honda engineers are debatably second to none when it comes to chassis and engine design.
I'll debate that any day of the week. Engineers are engineers the world over, but their designs are constrained by many factors: cost, weight, anticipated buyer profile, local environmental requirements, and the list goes on and on.
To think Honda has a lock on the world's best engineers is a little strange. I submit that BMW, Honda and GM all have highly qualified engineers, and they have engineers who just graduated with no experience at all who will make a bunch of stupid mistakes early in their careers. I note with interest that Honda is no longer in F1 because they tried and could not compete - probably a budgetary issue which is after all the "bottom line".
Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Modding newbie

I believe Marcus mistyped there. Maybe what he meant was that Honda's are the best engineered vehicles, which I'll back 100%. How many other engines produce 100 hp per liter of displacement, don't use forced induction, and still get over 30 mpg on the highway? Most other engines don't even come close to that kind of output. K20 anyone?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Truly there is much more involved than just the quality of the engineers. That being said, the engineers in the best environment with a a clear direction and goal do better engineering. Maybe that is the point. Honda engines and chassis are well engineered to do as the company dictates it should be.

So yes all engineers are similar in education and skill set, but how that knowledge and skill is cultivated and coordinated makes a big difference. So in my mind some get more credit for excellence than others.

Honda dropping out of F1 was a financial decision. Most enthusiasts would agree that a "Honda" car and team won the 2009 constructor's title. I personally think Honda would have pulled out of F1 no matter how well the did in 2008.

But that isn't the issue here. The issue is, although most all automotive engineers posses the skills to make a great car, few do and are able to keep the cars reliable and economical as well. Honda and BMW have a lot of key differences in design direction, and we want to bring some of the BMW philosophy over to the Honda world.