Bombarded by Secaedas

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Fellow Designer!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bombarded by Secaedas

Was getting off on my exit today with the windows down, sun roof open and stereo ablazn, it was about 90 today. When a swarm of these ferocious bastards bombarded my car and the inside of it. They came from ever angle pinging off of my car and window then some made it inside and clung to my seats. They sarted "barkn" at me luckily the all went right out the window after a fez seconds. I was a slow merge but i almost rear-ended someone fight those bastards off. They suck and they are everywhere over a million here in the nati.

Neone else tired of these pests?????
Old 05-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Isn't it spelled cicadas?

And I've heard that they will reach epidemic proportions this year.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like this story: http://www.nbc4.com/news/3337453/detail.html
Old 05-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

I live in northeast Cincy(Mason) and hadn't seen a single cicada until today when I had to go to the west side (Delhi). The novelty of seeing a few quickly faded as one after another splatted onto the windshield, then bounced off. Rain-X washer fluid, while a fine product, proved ineffective at cutting through the glop from the red-eyed hordes. I decided I'd better get the car washed (and I rarely put my TSX through an automatic wash), but then figured why bother, I'll just hit more tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm over in the Evendale area and there is DEFINITELY a bunch. We're expecting 3 Billion cicadas... for those that don't know what they are, the big group of these ugly suckers occur every 17 years. Look it up. They made a mess on my car yesterday and are starting to pile up on the road.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm allergic to bull

How come I haven't encounted any of them here?? I'm actually looking forward to see them. I plan to catch one larva, sedate it and wake it up next summer. Dude, its 17-year cycle gonna be screwed.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:27 AM
! deadmau5 !

This is what happens when you listen to John Secada on your audio system.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol scary shiet man...good thing nuthing happened to ur tsx
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

Those darn bugs! I took my tsx on its first road trip to va this weekend. I ran into a whole pack of them on the beltway one night. They hit so hard I thought it was gravel or something being kicked up by a pack of trucks. I was forced to use an auto wash and it didn't quite get the job done.

I went through a drive-through in Vienna on Sunday and the guy couldn't even pass things through the window without interference from the secaedas (sp?). I got one in my car but was luckily able to get it out without too much trouble.

I'm glad to be back in FL - Secaeda free!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
WOOT!

you telling me....i walk outside and i'm attacked by those damn things. washed my car yesterday, and it already looks like i haven't washed it in 3 months.

anyone know where i can get that car alarm system from robocop?!??
Old 05-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Drifting

i don't have a problem with them for the most part, since they aren't interested in me. don't want my money, don't want my car, and don't want to bite me in the ass (unlike mosquitos). my understanding is that they aren't the most "intelligent" of insects...but they are super crunchy! mmm, mmmm. they are lean since they don't eat much, lol.

i don't see as many cicadas right now the previous go-round. both my husband and i remember that the last one, there were so many, this pales in comparison.

i would think that if people in other countries, where cockroaches reach the diameter of a tennis ball (and then some) are probably thinking that we are making a lot out of nothing...the biggest problem that i see is that certain wasps prey on cicadas, and so that might mean more wasps, but I don't know).
Old 05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

I live in downtown Cincinnati and haven't seen many (b/c we have no trees!). I work in northern KY though, and if you go outside you are immediately greeted by the singing cidadas.

I've heard its really bad in areas on the west side. As in entire houses covered in them, people apparently have to sweep their sidewalks a couple times a day to get rid of the shells.

My parents also seem to have a lot of them up in West Chester.

My TSX is cicada free so far
Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I still have yet to see these suckers (not dissapointed either)...maybe they haven't popped up here in Northern IL yet..

BTW, Prolix..haven't seen you in a while
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

We don't get them in my Area of NE Ohio, I never knew what one was until I moved to Cincy for School. Glad I don't live their now :P
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Its really not as bad as the media was saying it was going to be. In some localized areas its really bad, but overall most areas are ok. It only lasts something like 6 weeks anyway, then they are gone for another 17 years.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by prolix21
Its really not as bad as the media was saying it was going to be. In some localized areas its really bad, but overall most areas are ok. It only lasts something like 6 weeks anyway, then they are gone for another 17 years.
Drive up I75 near Evendale and Tri-County around 3pm when it is sunny out. I live near West Chester and it isn't terrible, but a further south... WOW!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Instructor

They are everywhere! It is unreal...I remember them from 17 yrs ago but not like this. They dive bomb your car and are swarming all over the place...and they are not small either! The noise level is so freakin loud you can hear it even with your radio on.

I know they make an awful mess but I think the whole thing is pretty cool!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by moda_way
Drive up I75 near Evendale and Tri-County around 3pm when it is sunny out. I live near West Chester and it isn't terrible, but a further south... WOW!!!
I think I'm a little sheltered from it all since I live downtown. They are down near the riverfront, you can hear them if you're walking around there, but I live up off 4th street and you don't hear anything here. The building next to me has a nice courtyard with trees, I figured they'd be infested but I haven't even seen one.

I'll be up near tri-county tomorrow, I hope they don't attack my car
Old 05-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Ok, I take my comment about the cicadas not being that bad back...

I was out running errands today and was up around tri-county and west chester. Holy crap, they were swarming over 75, the streets were covered in dead cicadas in some areas. It was nuts.

My poor car is tainted by bug guts now. Off to the carwash tomorrow
Old 05-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Instructor

The guts are a pain in the butt to get off! It's almost not worth fighting it...go 5 miles down the road again and your car is covered! YUCK!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Instructor

I'm a little scared to leave the guts on there. There have been a couple articles and reports on the local news talking about how acidic the cicada guts are. Obviously i can't hand wash it every other day, but I run the car through Mike's or a touchless wash pretty frequently to keep the crap off it.

On my last car I made the mistake of not getting some bird crap off the car fast enough and it actually did stain the paint. I learned my lesson with that one

I'm hoping to give my car a nice wash monday and wax it as well, it desperately needs a wax job. Hopefully that will keep them from sticking to the car so bad
Old 05-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Hadn't heard the thing about the guts being so acidic. I'm going to power wash mine off at a local place here. I had one cicada suck in my fog lights.

You should see them coming from Forest Fair. Was out there buying stuff for my soon to be born boy and MAN... I had every angle of a cicada hit my car in the 1 mile stretch coming down the hill from Forest fair. One was stuck in my fogs... haven't looked at the radiator yet... BLAH!!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Instructor

The roads are also now getting a nice crusty layer on them in some areas. Its pretty gross actually. I was driving down some road and noticed all these little bits on teh road, it was nearly covered. Then i realized it was dead cicadas.

I also found where they were hiding downtown, they're all in the park across from the Taft museum. I was riding my bike around and looked down and realized I was riding through a nice pile of cicadas, not all of which were dead... Sawyer point towards the boathouse is also pretty bad, around the serpentine wall its pretty quiet.

Can't wait for this mess to be over.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Instructor

That is one nasty lookin' fugly bug!!! I see something like that and I'm glad I'm up here in Canada...the only thing we have to worry about is mosquitoes - and the odd Polar Bear

Ha Ha Ha!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

A disgusting change of pace

Since we're on Cicadas, I figured you'd be interested in this crazy! It's a little old but still packs the same punch. (Warning: Do not read while eating!)
http://www.wndu.com/news/052004/news_35209.php
Old 05-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
I guess that means we won't be seeing a cicada eating contest on Fear Factor?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:46 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone take a video of this 17 year phenomenon and post it? I'm trying to paint a picture in my head, but's it's just hard to visualize/appreciate how crazy the infestation is...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by jginnane
This is what happens when you listen to John Secada on your audio system.
lol - be warned!

We were hitting a lot of them driving down I-95 through Maryland and N. Va this past week. They're big - at one point we thought we were hit a bird. Loud too - I thought I was hearing a bad noise from the car reverberating off of the trees for awhile.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:35 PM
! deadmau5 !

[i] They're big - at one point we thought we were hit a bird. Loud too - I thought I was hearing a bad noise from the car reverberating off of the trees for awhile. [/B]
Our Dobermann used to snap them out of midair, which is not difficult -- picture David Carradine with chopsticks. Then, our dog caught a wasp or hornet... and stopped doing that. :-)

Cicada fugliness is exceeded only by their dumbness, 'cuz they'll thwack full speed into a screened door, flop around on the ground, get up, and then they try the same screen door. Again and again.

Coolest part is to inspect one of the empty body shells. They molt 1x in the ~72 hours they live and mate, and the shed exoskeleton even has an eye membrane that sloughs off intact. (If you're going to eat a cicada, get it in the first hour after the molt, because otherwise you have to peel them like a shrimp.)

PS -- Yes, they are eaten in Thailand and southern China, among other places. Very nutritious (though high cholesterol). Westerners need to mentally get in a zone where fish heads, chicken heads, chicken feet, and beef pink parts are viewed as protein rather than scraps ... I suggest lots of beer and a brace of Quentin Tarantino movies.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:08 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Jeez. I'm with gomez_regina on this one. Glad I'm in Canada. Probably the worst I've seen is Mosquitos...and last summer, we had some pretty good swarms of grasshoppers....and they aren't as weird (at least they don't charge headlong into cars).

I guess it's time for ya'll to break out the flamethrowers! :flamer: