That BMW's been "van Hooydonked" not "Bangled"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
That BMW's been "van Hooydonked" not "Bangled"

LOS ANGELES - Adrian van Hooydonk, the 39-year-old Dutch native who has emerged as the real designer of BMW's much-criticized 7 series, makes no excuses for the break-the-mold look of the automaker's flagship sedan.

The 7-series redesign three years ago touched off a firestorm of criticism, and Chris Bangle, BMW's longtime senior designer, had been taking the heat for it. Billed by Bangle as the beginning of a necessary overhaul of BMW styling, the 7 series features a straight beltline that wraps around onto the trunk, creating a wedgelike protrusion.

But BMW has begun pointing out that van Hooydonk, president of BMW's DesignworksUSA studio in Newbury Park, Calif., drew the sedan's exterior. And he insists it was right for BMW to try a new design direction.

Van Hooydonk concedes that BMW may be ahead of its time with the design strategy, which has continued with the new 5-series sedan and 6-series coupe and convertible, but says the styling reflects BMW's position as a luxury brand that uses cutting-edge technology.

"It wouldn't make sense to package that in a retro design or a design that nobody takes offense (to)," he said in an interview here. "We have to chart our own course, and it can only be a modern course."

Van Hooydonk, a tall, lean man who sports a fashionable two-day stubble, also drew the 6 series. He'll leave within months for Munich, Germany, to take over the BMW-brand design studio.

Bangle has been named director of BMW Group Design, a new post.

The controversy arises from BMW's desire to give every vehicle line a distinct look. In the past, BMW had look-alike cars in three sizes - what CEO Helmut Panke has called three sizes of the same sausage.

The criticism won't make BWM turn to consumer clinics to endorse styling decisions, van Hooydonk says. Competitors' cars that go through such clinics rarely are embraced for their unique designs, he says.

"There are some car companies that say they want emotion," he says. "What they really mean is that they want only positive (criticism). They will go out of their way to make people say that."

Retro styling in particular is inappropriate because BMW has only been competing in the luxury car segment for 20 years, van Hooydonk says.

"BMW has taken risks, and our customers have taken risks in their lives to get to the position where they can afford to buy these cars," he says. "Being risk-oriented, you have a better chance of making bigger strides than if you are conservative."

Whether BMW's new design philosophy endures is a question that even van Hooydonk can't answer.

"That's hard to predict," he admits. "I can't tell you, and nobody can. Time will tell."

He admires good design at other car companies and cites Nissan, Renault and especially Cadillac, whose new styling also is controversial. Cadillac is at least "being recognizable again," van Hooydonk says.

But one thing van Hooydonk is sure about is that it's not only car companies that want designs that reflect their brand identity.

The trend toward recognizable and brand-identifying design is increasingly spreading to makers of everything from consumer electronics to faucets, he says.

What does van Hooydonk know about the design philosophy behind products such as a Motorola cell phone, Villeroy & Boch faucet or John Deere tractor?

DesignworksUSA styled each one.

BMW bought DesignworksUSA in 1995 to have an automotive styling studio in North America, but it allowed the company to keep its industrial clients, which include Boeing Corp., Siemens, Intel, Star Trac and Nokia. About half of the company's business today is industrial.

I love how they "think" the designs are ahead of their time. Ugly is ugly, does'nt matter the generation. Can't stand when people can't admit their mistakes.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Van Hooydonked or Bangled, their line up sucks right now. On the other hand, did you see the new 5 series wagon that was shown at the Geneva show? IMO that's the direction BMW should be taking with their cars. It still has issues with the interior though.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
No wonder he likes Nissan and Renault, look at what those two came up with which will be unveiled in Infiniti form at the New York show next week:

I'd venture to guess a lot of folks, even BMW afficionados would vote for that purely on looks over this:

Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I'd pick the Nissan/Infiniti over the BMW 5-Series on stying, but I do have to admit that the BMW sports much more complex lines and surface details ("flame surfacing" they call it). It's still not very attractive, though, but they get points for the effort in my book.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 PM
bleh...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW design staff shake up.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Honestly, the new 5-series is certainly not attractive compared to many of the other designs on the market. The interior looks absolutely atrocious. Honestly, interior designs are best on Acuras and Audis and exterior designs have been best on Infiniti. That G35 Coupe is one stunning vehicle to look at.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Instructor

couple months ago was a car show here in St. Louis, and i was able to get a good closeup view of the interior of the BMW 5 series. i agree with cgtsx2004, the interior is not too great. the dash is pretty nasty in my opinion. but i do think the exteriors of the 5 series and 7 series look alot better than they have in the past. i know taht at least for me, it is an eye-catcher when im' just driving out on the road and spot one.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Instructor

I think the outside looks of the 7 series and 5 series are not too bad depending on the color. The interiors though are beyond ugly. They might be ok if the cars were much cheaper and you were able to put up with the interior for the overall car handling/performance. However, for $50K+ I wouldn't buy one even if I had the money. I like the interior of my 3 series but on the 5 and 7 it just doesn't cut it. I hope they don't mess up the interior on the 05 3 series. For the money the TSX and TL are much nicer.