Best way to list my 07 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Best way to list my 07 TSX

Looking to sell my 07 TSX MT but not sure which route to go. I know the 6 speed manuals are always in high demand so I think I could get more for it if I sold it privately as opposed to trading it in at a dealership. I'm just not sure if it would be better posting it on a forum or a site like Auto Trader or Craigs List. I only have a few mods such as Tein SS coilovers, 18" HFP wheels, and A-Spec lip kit and I don't know if these upgrades would help or hurt the value depending on where it's listed.

I'd like to sell it fast but at a competitive rate before I hit 85k miles.

I've never sold a car before, so any input would be greatly appreciated. And please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wisdumb2oof
Looking to sell my 07 TSX MT but not sure which route to go. I know the 6 speed manuals are always in high demand so I think I could get more for it if I sold it privately as opposed to trading it in at a dealership. I'm just not sure if it would be better posting it on a forum or a site like Auto Trader or Craigs List. I only have a few mods such as Tein SS coilovers, 18" HFP wheels, and A-Spec lip kit and I don't know if these upgrades would help or hurt the value depending on where it's listed.

I'd like to sell it fast but at a competitive rate before I hit 85k miles.

I've never sold a car before, so any input would be greatly appreciated. And please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.
I can't speak for the Cali market since I'm on the right coast, but statistically, the opposite is true about the MT cars (they can be a bitch to sell), but you only need one. Craigslist will get you out there fast, but be ready for trolls, joy riders, and low balls. Autotrader might take longer, but you'd most likely be more assured of a serious audience (and I'm of the opinion that it helps to spend money to make money). The mods would hurt on a trade, but since you'll most likely attract a younger (male) audience (the MT)(save it girls), they might help, or at least be a wash. Whatever you decide to do, meet anyone that's interested at a neutral place (not at home) the first time (a little advice for a first timer).
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd go the CL route to avoid fees and hit a relatively large audience.

I searched everywhere for a year looking for a privately sold '06 6-speed TSX, and could only find them on the Right Coast (opposite me). There might be people willing to pay a premium for that. I know I did when I bought from the Stealership for $17k, 4 yrs old at the time, 34,000 miles. Probably could have had it for a grand less, private party. I'd bet it was traded in at $13k.

Anyhow, I have only purchased 1 car from CL, and the transaction was smooth. When I went to sell it a month later, the first person that contacted me agreed to buy it at my asking price; no haggling. My experience is likely unusually easy, but if you list with plenty of details and give specific instructions to the buyer, you can avoid a lot of headache. It amazes me how many people list cars without disclosing the mileage, transmission type, posting pictures, etc.

My final advise is to not sell the car. You've got the perfect car, in the perfect year, with the perfect transmission, in the top trim, with the mods you chose. You won't find a better handling, better looking car, for cheaper that gets great gas mileage.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sold my Integra on CL. I can say that I had to sift through the low ballers and scammers but finally sold it to one person.

My integra at the time was worth around $4000. I was selling it for $2000 because of a transmission issue slipping from 4th down to third. I lived with this issue for 5 years and learned to let off the gas and downshift to 3rd. Anyway the low ballers were offering me $500 for the car, so be ready for that as well.

If you are trying to sell this fast I don't think either route (CL or Autotrader) is going to get it sold quickly. It took me a couple of months to sell mine. I would at least give it a try and if time doesn't permit, trade it into the dealer.