Best replacement audio system for '05 TSX w/NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Life's a beach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best replacement audio system for '05 TSX w/NAV?

Hey guys,
Been a long time since I rock & rolled here. I used to hang out on this forum after I first got my 2005 TSX w/NAV. Anyway, my car is still going strong, but my NAV system is obviously outdated compared to say Waze, and I never use it anymore. I also still use an ipod Classic (128GB) hooked up to an Audiovox DICE system, which uses the XM Radio interface and channels to control the iPod. It's served me well; I have a lot of stuff not found on Spotify or other streaming services, so the iPod made sense to have my entire library available. Lately, though, I've had some weirdness going on where even though the XM antenna was disconnected long ago, somehow I'm picking up the XM Preview Channel now, and it intermingles with my iPod music. I have no idea how that is happening or what changed, and the guys at the place that originally put in my DICE are stumped.

So -- ancient DVD-based NAV system with a 2013 map that won't be updated -- and a DICE system that is picking up XM Preview along with the iPod music, and no one seems to know how to fix it. Time to think about getting something more modern.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an audio system that bluetooth-connects to my iPhone, has hands-free phone calls, supports my iPod, and maybe even interfaces in with Waze on my phone somehow (or has Waze or any equivalent built in)? I'm just beginning to research this, and thought maybe I could solicit some advice from people who have gone through the same upgrade. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 PM
Life's a beach

Guess this question was a non-starter, checking back in after 5-6 months lol. I'm still wondering about it, though, if anyone with a 2005 TSX w/nav has replaced the nav with something more modern like what I described.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you with my 08 Nav. Nav DVD finally died on me and i'm just tired of the outdated screen and using the Aux interface for my audio.

You need to ask yourself some important questions: how big is your budget? How far do you want to go? How complex do you want to make the install?

I've been in the process of replacing my stereo now and i'll share with you what i did. Its taking me a while because having twins sucks.

For me i think the stock speakers and amp are fairly decent, but i dont know how it's going to sound hooked up to an aftermarket headunit.

1. I ended up with that Metra double din dash that replaces the factory HVAC and Nav. Even though the HVAC controls do look really chintzy and bad I really don't care as it seems pretty easy to hook up. I dont have the time to modify the existing nav hvac board and create a custom plate for my aftermarket head unit.

2. I ended up with an Alpine ILX-207 that does android audio and apple car play. It also has an HDMI input so i can do screen mirroring with my android phone. It also has bluetooth audio, aux, and all of the things you would think a modern head unit would provide. Some people buy the android tablet head units, but i frankly would rather have the chintzy metra physical controls of HVAC then everything touchscreen.

3. Going to end up mounting the new mic near the rear view mirror, and going to use the AWSC-1 steering wheel controller .

4. Not going with an aftermarket amp or speakers, yet. so right now the head unit is hooked up to the stock amp and speakers. I havne't had a chance to really listen to the system yet but so far there's no distortion or any weird sounds that i can tell of yet.

5. I have a cheap backup camera from amazon hooked up to my stock dvd nav unit and the screen is just so dim. I really think it's just the old screen and nothing to do with the camera. But now I need to wire this all the way to the front of the vehicle.

6. All of this already cost me (Metra kit, Steering wheel controller, Alpine headunit, parking bypass kit, camera ) over $600, even buying a used head unit, used metra dash kit, steering wheel controls. nothing is cheap and everything adds up. I'm hoping the speakers will sound okay as I dont want to sink more money into this car's stereo.

Last edited by evident; 11-10-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:11 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Winterwaves
Hey guys,
Been a long time since I rock & rolled here. I used to hang out on this forum after I first got my 2005 TSX w/NAV. Anyway, my car is still going strong, but my NAV system is obviously outdated compared to say Waze, and I never use it anymore. I also still use an ipod Classic (128GB) hooked up to an Audiovox DICE system, which uses the XM Radio interface and channels to control the iPod. It's served me well; I have a lot of stuff not found on Spotify or other streaming services, so the iPod made sense to have my entire library available. Lately, though, I've had some weirdness going on where even though the XM antenna was disconnected long ago, somehow I'm picking up the XM Preview Channel now, and it intermingles with my iPod music. I have no idea how that is happening or what changed, and the guys at the place that originally put in my DICE are stumped.

So -- ancient DVD-based NAV system with a 2013 map that won't be updated -- and a DICE system that is picking up XM Preview along with the iPod music, and no one seems to know how to fix it. Time to think about getting something more modern.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an audio system that bluetooth-connects to my iPhone, has hands-free phone calls, supports my iPod, and maybe even interfaces in with Waze on my phone somehow (or has Waze or any equivalent built in)? I'm just beginning to research this, and thought maybe I could solicit some advice from people who have gone through the same upgrade. Thanks in advance.
Lots of GPS Double Din options.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Lots of GPS Double Din options.

https://youtu.be/oPgvvMuPPt8
from my experience they all suck due to laggy or inaccurate HVAC. Even the new double din android units with physical controls. Go on youtube and notice how no one talks about how crappy the HVAC control is. I went back to an OEM Non nav unit with a bluetooth adapter, and a cd mount for my phone and this solution works best.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by evident
I'm in the same boat as you with my 08 Nav. Nav DVD finally died on me and i'm just tired of the outdated screen and using the Aux interface for my audio.

You need to ask yourself some important questions: how big is your budget? How far do you want to go? How complex do you want to make the install?

I've been in the process of replacing my stereo now and i'll share with you what i did. Its taking me a while because having twins sucks.

For me i think the stock speakers and amp are fairly decent, but i dont know how it's going to sound hooked up to an aftermarket headunit.

1. I ended up with that Metra double din dash that replaces the factory HVAC and Nav. Even though the HVAC controls do look really chintzy and bad I really don't care as it seems pretty easy to hook up. I dont have the time to modify the existing nav hvac board and create a custom plate for my aftermarket head unit.

2. I ended up with an Alpine ILX-207 that does android audio and apple car play. It also has an HDMI input so i can do screen mirroring with my android phone. It also has bluetooth audio, aux, and all of the things you would think a modern head unit would provide. Some people buy the android tablet head units, but i frankly would rather have the chintzy metra physical controls of HVAC then everything touchscreen.

3. Going to end up mounting the new mic near the rear view mirror, and going to use the AWSC-1 steering wheel controller .

4. Not going with an aftermarket amp or speakers, yet. so right now the head unit is hooked up to the stock amp and speakers. I havne't had a chance to really listen to the system yet but so far there's no distortion or any weird sounds that i can tell of yet.

5. I have a cheap backup camera from amazon hooked up to my stock dvd nav unit and the screen is just so dim. I really think it's just the old screen and nothing to do with the camera. But now I need to wire this all the way to the front of the vehicle.

6. All of this already cost me (Metra kit, Steering wheel controller, Alpine headunit, parking bypass kit, camera ) over $600, even buying a used head unit, used metra dash kit, steering wheel controls. nothing is cheap and everything adds up. I'm hoping the speakers will sound okay as I dont want to sink more money into this car's stereo.
So i got the metra dash too and a headunit but no sound is coming but the headunit actually turns on. do i have to connect something off the stock amp to the headunit?