Beef with VSA

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beef with VSA

Ok, so my (parents') house has a fairly steep driveway. There's a 5' elevation change that happens in about 1.5 car lengths. On top of having to deal with the steep hill, there's a lip where the asphalt of the driveway has sunken and the concrete of the garage floor starts (my mom says it's like having to drive over a small curb). The first time I pulled her in the garage, I reached the lip and spun the tires like hell for a split second trying to get over it.

Sometimes I have to stop on the actual driveway and get started again. Because of the steep slope, it rolls back fast and I don't want to just "let it go" because there's always a lot of kids playing on our street (don't ask me why, but they're everywhere). I'm not exactly an MT n00b, but the only solution is to gas it and let that clutch out quick. Otherwise, I'm rolling back in the street, and the kids are in danger. So the wheels chirp again. There's usually neighbors outside gossiping/watching over the playing kids during the evening, having this happen in front of them is kinda embarrasing...

OK, so I know the car doesn't have a LSD. And I know that going uphill isn't particularly friendly weight transfer-wise to a FWD car. Is this one of those traction control systems where some wheel slip is allowed? Is it just slow to react? The owners manual doesn't say much about it. I hope this isn't going to leave me slipping and sliding when I move to Wisconsin and I need it to be effective. Has anyone had experience with this car in bad weather or a similar incline situation?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Beef with VSA

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer

Is this one of those traction control systems where some wheel slip is allowed? Is it just slow to react? The owners manual doesn't say much about it. I hope this isn't going to leave me slipping and sliding when I move to Wisconsin and I need it to be effective. Has anyone had experience with this car in bad weather or a similar incline situation?
The system does allow some wheel slip on acceleration and braking. By allowing this, I am sure the overall performance is improved. I notice the chirping esp in underground parking lots where the surface is smoother.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Racer

hmm... i have pretty much the same driveway for the garage as you. however, our incline is more like 20-25 degrees. so its very steep. i also have to stop in the driveway to wait for the garage door to fully open... however, when i start again, i don't get any tire slip. not sure if that helps... but yeah... i felt like i should write that.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Alright... Killer, give me the "You suck at driving MT" picture.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Re: Beef with VSA

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Because of the steep slope, it rolls back fast and I don't want to just "let it go" because there's always a lot of kids playing on our street (don't ask me why, but they're everywhere). I'm not exactly an MT n00b, but the only solution is to gas it and let that clutch out quick. Otherwise, I'm rolling back in the street, and the kids are in danger.
Put your emergency brake to good use.

When you're stopped, hold in the button and pull it back with enough pressure to hold your car in place. As you gracefully add gas and slowly release the clutch and feel the engine begin to catch, slowly release the brake back down. Using precise control for all three and working them together, you won't roll back a millimeter and will simply move forward slicker than pig snot.

After a few times it will be just as natural as shifting and you'll never again have to be worried about those embarassing situations!

And yes, the TSX VSA/Traction Control is very unintrusive, thankfully!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Forgot about that. Thanks! RadMon
Old 07-18-2003, 01:29 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
There is another trick I learned that is harder to learn but easier to use once you know it. With your foot on the brake, slowing start to release the clutch At the very point where feel its about to be engaged hold it. you should now be able to take your foot off the brake and you are holding the car in place with the gears, gas it up and and release and go.

Same idea as the parking brake method, just one less extra step This one is just harder to learn cause till you learn the engagment point with muscle memory youll like stall out a couple times trying it.

PS: You should only have VSA turned on when its slick outside.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro

My advice is to always have your VSA on. Never know when you might need it. There was a post discussing this on the old "club" and I think we came to the conclusion it would be better to leave it on; that is of course, you don't mind it, otherwise, turn it off. It shouldn't come on all that much anyhow.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Damn, I thought this was a discussion about food...

Sorry I couldn't resist.