Auto trans and fun-to-drive factor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans and fun-to-drive factor?

Hello, everyone. Signed up because spouse is set on TSX. I myself was leaning towards Accord EX. But ain't nobody happy if She ain't happy, so I paid the deposit with expected delivery 3-4 weeks.
Surprised and pleased to see so much passion about TSX. I take it as another strong recommendation for the car.
The only hesitation we have now is auto or manual. There must be threads on this topic, but I could not narrow down the search enough to find the specific topic.
Question: How much is the "fun to drive" factor decreased by auto rather than the 6-speed tranny? If you have the auto, does the car still feel a lot more fun to drive than say, a well equipped Accord?
There are some cars such as Miata that almost require manual transmission. You miss the whole point if you get the Miata with auto trans. Is the TSX one of those cars? Thanks.
-rt
Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Orangeblood

My $0.02 is this. I have never been much of a manual driver. Meaning I can, but have never driven MT's day to day. I also live in a fairly congested area of a good sized city. So MT would be a drawback to me.

Where I think I have some perspective is that I have never owned a vehicle without a V8. Most recently a Northstar, which is a great V8.

So, like you, I figured all the good reviews wouldnt apply to the AT. But mostly I was concerned that the lack of torque would be a major step down for me. Noticeable to the point of distraction.

It's not. Now granted, its a step down, but AT does not take all the fun out of TSX. For one thing, its a 4-door slot car. It has a great interior. I found it had adequate torque and power for two things, accelerating uphill and passing (40-80 or 60-80). It compares reasonably favorably in those regards with a TL.

So, unless you are an MT maniac, I think you will find an AT satisfactory.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
And considering that the sales split is around 70% AT and 30% MT, I think most people would agree with you Mark.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Master in Science

You can make the AT more fun to drive by using the sport shift, but it won't compare to a manual. I have the 5AT and find the power the transmission provides plentyful. I just drove up the California coast yesterday from San Diego to San Luis Obispo (past LA and Santa Barbara) at 75-95mph, even hit 100 a couple of times. The car held 90 on steep uphils that even some BMWs were slowing down to 60. It all depends how you drive...
Old 03-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the points of view. Much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:01 PM
TSXREEFER

the 30/70 split does not tell the story

If you like to shift gears, you will never be totally happy with an AT on a smaller sporter car, unless your drive is a total bumper to bumper urban crawl. I love to shift and the TSX 6 speed is the nicest feeling tranny I have ever driven. My previous car was a 2001 6 speed MT twin turbo A-6 Quattro. The TSX is more fun to drive. I would not want my car with an AT. Now from the other side of the coin, some people just don't dig shifting gears.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much fun the TSX is with an AT, using the sportshift. I turned in an S2000 at the end of the lease, with mixed feelings. I loved driving it on Highway 1 up the California coast, and in the hills around Palo Alto. But it was NOT fun as a commute car, and that's what I do most of the time.
The TSX does not have the aural and visceral sensations of the S2000. It does what it does with great poise and calm, not the adrenalin-surge rush of the S2000 at 9000 rpm. But it is a heck of a lot of fun. The steering and handling are 80% of the S2000's, there is very little body roll, and the sportshift gives about 50-60% of the fun of the world's best 6-speed tranny in the S2000.
I am very happy that I got the AT, although I thought very seriously about getting the MT. This last weekend I drove 9 hours in one day, half of it on twisting roads along the Russian River and the northern California coast. I couldn't have done that in the S2000--I would have been sore and my left knee would have been trashed. I couldn't have done it in my '91 Legend, because it doesn't handle the curves the way the TSX does.
I have to take phone calls while I'm driving, as a doctor on call; and since I don't have a hands-free kit yet, it only works with an AT.
So count me as a very happy AT owner, with no regret at all about my new drive.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Cruisin'

I'm a huge fan of manuals, but I actually got an auto in my TSX. There were no manuals available, 2004 or 2005s. I couldn't see the TSX being sporty enough nor fast enough for me to really find extra joy in a manual. I will not be modding my car for power. I can't say I'd rather have either transmission in this car. It almost seems like a wash. I usually drive it in the clutchless manual mode and I can always get some extra power by down shifting, or downshifting in to a turn.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by roadtacks
If you have the auto, does the car still feel a lot more fun to drive than say, a well equipped Accord? There are some cars such as Miata that almost require manual transmission. You miss the whole point if you get the Miata with auto trans. Is the TSX one of those cars?
Absolutely! Because of the suspension and the handling. Because of the smooth engine that provides adequate power over a fairly broad torque curve. Because it is quite and well mannered. The Accord, the TSX, and the Miata are in completely different classes as far as I am concerned. The best comparisons to the TSX seems to be the Volvo S40, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, and perhaps Mercedes C Class (especially the coupe). Did I miss any?

I have the AT and find the Sport Shifter much better for my driving than an MT would be. Of course, I am older and no longer like having to press a clutch to change gears. The Sport Shifter is fast and smooth. It is clearly superior, IMO, to the manual-matic shifter in the Mercedes C Class (the only other car I have driven with a Sport Shifter). The SS works best when there is some throttle. In other words, don't let off on the gas to shift.

I do not recall reading any post from any AT owner that was not pleased with the AT. I can say the same for MT owners. So, the number that regret their choice is apparently very few. Test drive both and decide what best fits your needs. Then, you are very likely to be satisfied with your decision.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

My car is an Accord coupe EX manual, I LOVE driving stick...I'm mean I'm a diehard.

But the wife can't drive stick so we had to get an AT for her ride, and I love her TSX big time. I think this in and of itself should speak volumes.

The TSX is the only AT I have ever been happy to own, d@mn fun in deed.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
AT TSX here... It's a hella fun to drive... Sportshift rocks! I even took mine to a drag strip

TRU - who can't believe he just said hella
Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXReefer
If you like to shift gears, you will never be totally happy with an AT on a smaller sporter car, unless your drive is a total bumper to bumper urban crawl. I love to shift and the TSX 6 speed is the nicest feeling tranny I have ever driven. My previous car was a 2001 6 speed MT twin turbo A-6 Quattro. The TSX is more fun to drive. I would not want my car with an AT. Now from the other side of the coin, some people just don't dig shifting gears.

I came out of the exact same car as you, 2001 A6 2.7T 6MT. I agree totally that the TSX is way more fun to drive, even though that car hauled ass.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Ah, one of the threads again for the s.

AT with SS is fun to drive. Trust me....
Old 01-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Racer

This is all good information to hear. I am a direhard manual tranny fan as well. I currently have a 2001 Acura Integra GSR and I love it but it has grown too small for me. The only time I do not like to shift is in traffic and I find that I am in traffic more and more. I am pretty sure that I can be happy in an auto TSX but I still have my doubts from time to time. . .
Old 01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I think it's subjective. For me, I drive nothing but MT. AT is boring to me and it takes all the fun out of driving (doesn't matter what kind of car it is). If you're a "true" die-hard MT person, the clutch and the shifting become your 2nd nature, and driving in traffic doesn't bother me at all.

I had conversation with my wife long time ago, I basically told her that I will NOT buy (or lease) any car that doesn't come in MT (except a full size pickup as a tow vehicle).
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a middle of the road perspective here. I prefer to drive a manual. However, I wound up buying an AT because I live in a very intense traffic situation (Los Angeles) and the car is in bumper to bumper traffic up and down hills. The automatic is a great feature to have out here, but I really think that the 2.4 engine is happier when paired with the manual. I test drove the manual, and thought it was great.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 PM
A Commuter

Talking

it can be fun to drive...but i must admit..i do miss driving manual somtimes..
Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vwong
I think it's subjective. For me, I drive nothing but MT. AT is boring to me and it takes all the fun out of driving (doesn't matter what kind of car it is). If you're a "true" die-hard MT person, the clutch and the shifting become your 2nd nature, and driving in traffic doesn't bother me at all.

I had conversation with my wife long time ago, I basically told her that I will NOT buy (or lease) any car that doesn't come in MT (except a full size pickup as a tow vehicle).

I definetly agree that driving manual becomes second nature. It is just a huge pain when in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two each day. By bumper to bumper I mean moving one to two feet, going back to neutral. Going into first, moving a few feet, going back to neutral. That is a pita.