Auto on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto on headlights?

Does anyone know how to modify an '06 TSX to have auto on and off headlights? I hate having to turn the lights on and off everytime I get in. Tons of vehicles do it and I was surprised when I got this car and it didn't do it. I always thought Acura was ahead of the curve in the lighting area. I looked around but didn't find any DIY showing how to do this. I may have looked in the wrong area since I'm pretty new to the forum.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope, non that I've heard of anyway.
you need light sensors and such wired in for it to work.

I personally do not like them, and on my Infiniti I never set it
to Auto, I much prefer to turn on my HIDs when I want only.
I think auto lights burn up the HIDs too much in situations where
they are not necessary, shortening their life.

but I do understand those that like the auto lights, my wife does.
one less thing to think about I suppose.
but seeing how it's more of a system than just a switch, I doubt there will be
any conversion kits coming out. KP Technologies would be the first place
to start, but again I don't see it happening.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Modding newbie

hmm, looks like I might have to custom build one. The dash already seems to have a spot perfect for it right in the center way up front. Maybe get a cheap one from a cobalt or something similar and see if I can't make it work somehow.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I just leave me lights on and when i lock the car they shut off *shrugs.

Unlock car and start car via remote start they turn on?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^I leave mine on as well..I'm pretty sure u can program the auto shut off time limit in the MID
Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We do have a sun sensor... the round dot in the top of the dash, I have no idea what its for though...
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My mom's 08 honda accord has them. After having to have the battery on her car jump-started 3 times-we turned them off. (she now turns them on manually). She drives the car less than 10 miles round trip.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vthree
We do have a sun sensor... the round dot in the top of the dash, I have no idea what its for though...
I believe that the sun sensor is for some auto adjustment for the AC.

There also has to be a light sensor in the auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The little dome in the middle of the dash is for the sunlight sensor for the auto a/c. When the sun's beating down on it, it'll work a little harder to keep the car cooler. When its night time, it won't work the system as hard.

The sensors for the auto dim rear view are in the mirror itself. There's one on the side of the windshield facing forward and one to the right of the power button. What it does is take measurements on both sensors and compare them. When there's a large variance, say from somebody behind you with their headlights on, it'll dim the mirror accordingly.

As for the auto on headlights, I'm with MMS. If our cars had regular Halogens, I'd be all over it. But with the HIDs, I use them when necessary to prevent them from burning out. With those bulbs costing as much as they do ($65 a pop if you buy them online on sale) I want them to last as long as possible. Fewer ignition cycles equals longer life equals less money out of pocket.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

Yea I have an 06 and you can program it so when you get out and lock your car, they turn off.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
For those with NAVI who keep their lights on all the time, how do you manage the brightness level of the NAVI screen?

Since leaving the lights on all the time defeats the AUTO (day/night) feature for brightness, I find I have to manually adjust it to day and night. A big PIA as it takes 3 steps to do it

1. Press Set up
2. Select Day or Night
3. Press Exit

The voice commands don't really work well to alternate the brightness either. I wish Acura had a simpler one-button solution to select between your preselected day and night brightness levels.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
User with Skills

i honestly have no idea why people need or want this feature. Personally i think DRL's in general are ugly and I see no point for low beam headlights to be on in the middle of the day. Even if they were halogen, not every car manufacturer makes their low beam bulbs easily accessible. The last thing i would ever want would be a bulb to blow out regardless of cost of the bulb. How does auto headlight on make the car seem more luxury?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I turn on my low beam lights on quite often during the day in my 08 TSX. Why? Safety. My work takes me to the ports and terminals and anything that gives me a little more visibility among the tractor-trailers is a good thing. And worth paying for a burned-out bulb after a few years.

Also, at least in California, you are required to have your headlights on during the rain.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:54 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
I turn on my low beam lights on quite often during the day in my 08 TSX. Why? Safety. My work takes me to the ports and terminals and anything that gives me a little more visibility among the tractor-trailers is a good thing. And worth paying for a burned-out bulb after a few years.

Also, at least in California, you are required to have your headlights on during the rain.
I think driving with headlights on when it rains is required in most states. I always have my headlights on when it is raining. Did you ever try to change the low beam light bulb on the driver's side of a car. It is not that easy. (passenger side is,tho)I also only turn my foglights on when it is foggy.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
User with Skills

Originally Posted by kixo

In either of those 2 situations, your auto-headlight wouldn't do you any good anyways. Atleast in my bro's camry, the auto on doesn't actually turn on until it's fairly dark. But i definitely agree that anything that can help out in terms of safety is worth the effort.