Auto body shop problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto body shop problem

Hi all.

I got into a fender bender in my 06 TSX. The driver side front and rear quarter panels and both doors are damaged but the car is still driveable. I think these need to be replaced and not just re-finished and painted. How do I avoid getting ripped off by Auto Body shops? Specifically what questions do I need to ask? How can I be sure that I dont get a shoddy repair job?

My insurance company strongly suggested that I go to a particular shop (a direct repair shop) that claims to do work on "any make and model". This shop is affiliated with a GMC/Nissan dealership.

Should I try to find a place that deals with Acura vehicles? Does it matter?

The direct repair option seems convenient, however I dont want to sacrifice quality for speed.

L
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Modding newbie

Go to your local BBB and tell them you're looking for a shop that's been in business for a long time and has a good record with them. They can likely suggest some good places.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you go to the Regions section, you can find a recommended shop in your specific area.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had (unfortunately) a few wrecks. Most recently, I was rear-ended my TSX (last year). I took it to an Acura dealership. You are allowed, as I am sure the insurance company told you, to take your car to any dealership you prefer. One time, when I had a New Beetle, I took the car to a shop that my VW service advisor recommended. They had my car for 45 f---ing days! The work was fine, but that place was terrible. I'm fan of having the work done at a dealership. Mind you, my maintenance and service are NOT done at a dealership, but body work I would have done there. If there is a dealership in town that you have heard (or that Citysearch or AZine or BBB, etc. has recommended) is really great, I'd go there--regardless of the automaker affiliation. They have access to the same body parts and paint/paint codes that the Acura/Honda dealerships do. By the same token, even just going to a Honda dealership might be a wee bit better, since they would be intimately familiar with the 14 clips your bumper needs or the weird way you have to jiggle XYZ, etc. They also would probably have parts on hand (such as plastic clips), should they need any during the repair.

I hate to say this, and believe me when I tell you that I empathize, but being that your car is on '06, there is a chance that you might be made to get a refurbished/remanufactured bumper or other body part. I have an '04, and when I was rear-ended last year, the dealer told me I might end up with a remanufactured one, because of what the insurance company would pay for. Grrr. Luckily, they couldn't find a refurb. one, and mine is new. I just want you to be prepared for that.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Modding newbie

You're incredibly unlikely to find used parts for the shop to use, so you'll get new ones. Most shops don't even look for Acura used parts. You can also have your vehicle repaired anywhere you want it repaired, it doesn't have to be at a dealer. Insurance companies have no say at all in who does the work, and you don't have to get a second quote or anything like that.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
6th Gear

DRPs

In my brief readings and research, I have found a couple of things about DRPs (Direct repair programs) that most of you probably already know. First, since the shop is contracting with an insurance company, they often will cut corners to be within the budget (a low number) that the insurance company is appraising for your car. Ive seen numerous postings about how a DRP did shody work on a car, and the customer had to take it to another shop to re-repair it. I know this is a very biased view, and there probably are some honest DRPs out there, but I dont trust them with my car.

Secondly, the shop in question that GEICO reccomended to me is not registered under the BBB. Third, the shop where I want to take the car to is a shop reccommended by the local Acura dealer and is on the main Acura website. I guess I have my answer already. Thanks for your help.

L