Audio problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Angry Audio problem!

Couldn't find the Audio section.. Mods/ Admins please move please! Sorry.

So my step dad washed the TSX yesterday, and today when I turned the car on and with the radio already on, the driver side door speaker gave out this God awful crackling. At first I thought it was just FM static but I could only hear it coming form that one speaker. The radio volume was on like the 5th bar (low) so it wasn't blaring at all. I turned the radio down some and the crackle persisted with out a change in volume and sort of got worse. I turned the radio up just a few notches and back down some and found no fix, so i turned the radio off waited a few seconds and then turned it back on, it it was sorta gone.

I pulled out of the drive way and went to the end of the street and turned the radio off and back on again and it was completely fine, but this time it sounded like the volume wasn't as loud as it used to be (maybe that speaker quite or maybe the Amp is dying out or maybe I'm just telling myself it was quieter.)

Anyway, it didn't do it again for the rest of the day through out different volume levels and I still had all the thump as before.

If I had to describe the noise, it sounded like a muffled static. More like if you had a loose connection on a speaker and you rubbed the wire against the terminal. I suspect when my step dad washed the car, water go inside the door somehow or maybe there is a short in the door jam wires and it was wet.

I hope that it was maybe just some dust or something that was on the speaker wire/ terminals and it just had to burn/ fall off and everything is A.OKAY, because I doubt we could afford getting a new Amp/ Radio even though we need a new head unit (dead PCB).

Car is a 2004 Acura TSX, 5AT non Navi. Right under 115K miles, only problems are minor electrical dealing with the radio (PCB, now this).

If anyone's experience this, had this problem or know what it is, let me know please. Thank you.

--Forgot to mention--
That same drivers side door speaker IS Blown. At least we thought it was.

We keep our Bass Level on +5 and Treble on +1, and usually keep the volume around 30-60%, and listen to EVERYTHING. One night I noticed the speaker rattling on most bass notes but that was a month ago and nothing was ever done to fix it, and now it no longer does it.

It had to have been the speaker because we don't keep anything in our door pockets..

So if the speaker isn't blown, IDK what it is or could be other then a loose connection causing the crackling. Just thought I would let you guys know since it's never done this before until it was washed, and fully detailed inside and out. (Car looks Brand new BTW, amazing.)

My money is on that it's blown and is getting ready to make sure that we know it.

If that's the case, someone let me know what the best replacements are and for how much. Don't wont to break the bank here. I heard Alpine Type-R's were good? I'll be replacing all speakers. Front and Rear doors and the Deck's.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Also a random though.. could it be the negative/ ground cable on the battery? I know that is a common issue on Honda's so i'm wondering if these are some signs.. starting is sorta slow (a good second or so)...

Please don't let it be a loose ground connection somewhere through out the car.