Attempted Robbery by Acura Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attempted Robbery by Acura Service (Los Angeles)

I took my TSX in to get the rattles looked at. I figured I'd have them put the cargo net in to... since they quoted me $40.

Dude calls me back and tells me it's going to be $122 and if I want to leave the car I'm going to have to leave it at least two days AND come down there and put some gas in the tank.

Basically they were telling me to either pay $122 or fuck off. I swear... people that work at dealerships are the dregs of humanity.

*EDIT*

I've purchased Fords, Toyotas, Hondas... but from my purchasing and now service experience... Acura dealerships seem to the shadiest of all. Back in 1995 I tried to buy an Integra... I was all ready to sign the paperwork... we had agreed on a price and everything... and they told me they had sold it. They had someone in the next booth bidding for the same car! Then they refused to return any of the documents that I had signed... Acura of Cerritos.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:14 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

That sounds very fishy to me. Why would they need you to put gas in the tank? Did you leave it with no gas in it? Most cars on the dealer lots have nearly no gas in them anyway. Are they planning to take yours out for a joyride? (Oh wait, they need to drive it to listen for rattles....)

Anyway, if you do proceed, make sure you note the mileage. Make sure you have the mileage noted on the work order before you leave.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Cruisin'

So the offending dealership is Thomas Acura or Acura of Cerritos? Since I also live in your area, I want to avoid the one you mentioned. Thanx!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:43 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
LA people should deal with Acura of Pasedena or i've been told Acura 101 West. If you they try and screw you get their names. Call the GM or service manager and then say "bob" royally try to fuck me over and has given me reason to use competing service places. IE: im never using your damn serivce dept again, your loss.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:45 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

What crap. I'd pay $40 for the net+installation but not $122. As for gas, that's lame. So its low on gas, who cares? They should just pop a buck or two in and be done with it.

I've heard some shady stories about one dealer in my area as well. Just the service guys trying to stuff whatever repairs they can on you so they get their commissions.

-r
Old 09-16-2003, 06:52 PM
A-TSX Driver...

The actual cargo net costs something like $40. You're not going to get it installed for free unless you made it part of your deal. I bought mine and put it in myself. It's not a big deal, and it's not worth two days and $122.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by algorithm
So the offending dealership is Thomas Acura or Acura of Cerritos? Since I also live in your area, I want to avoid the one you mentioned. Thanx!
Thomas Acura in Covina... that's where I bought the car. They at least acted like human beings while I was there... no problems with Thomas [Downey Acura were fucks to me too]. The dealership that gave me shit today was Sierra Acura of Alhambra.

I guess since I didn't buy the net from them... they either wanted to make some money on the deal or fughetaboutit. NO WAY IN FRICKEN HELL does it take 1.5 hours of shop time to install the cargo net... they told me 30 minutes when I was there but decided to fleece me later.

The service guy told me "I didn't realize there was drilling involved." WELL WTF... DID YOU THINK I WAS GOING TO PAY YOU $40 JUST TO HOOK THE FRICKEN NET TO THE RINGS IN THE TRUNK?!!? They just figured they were not going to make any money putting in my net that I bought somewhere else... so hy bother.

Good idea on writing the GM though. Christ I hate these dealership people.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Banned

dp
Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
The actual cargo net costs something like $40. You're not going to get it installed for free unless you made it part of your deal. I bought mine and put it in myself. It's not a big deal, and it's not worth two days and $122.
http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Mercha...gory_Code=ATSX

I was going from the above price of 24.70, but then again the dealer I bought from quoted me significantly higher prices than listed on hondacuraworld.

-r
Old 09-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Banned

I can't imagine it would take someone an hour and a half to put in the hooks for the cargo net. That is borderline fraudulent... considering the final estimate was 3x the intial good-faith estimate.

BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR

Automotive repair places are heavily regulated due to the fact that they are rat fucks. Going to check the CA regulations tonite and see if I can find anything interesting [thank god I have access to WestLaw from home].
Old 09-16-2003, 08:12 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by Crazytree
I can't imagine it would take someone an hour and a half to put in the hooks for the cargo net.
I'm pretty sure even I can do the cargo net in 1.5hrs .. That being someone that's not very mechanical (albeit technical .. just gimme a keyboard) and is usually slow with these kinds of things.

A dealership should be able to whip that thing in 15 minutes. I'm sure their techs have done many of them.

-r
Old 09-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Instructor

It takes all of 15 minutes to put the hooks in. The holes are already there! I did my wife's car, and the cost to me was $27.00 plus shipping.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by teombe
It takes all of 15 minutes to put the hooks in. The holes are already there! I did my wife's car, and the cost to me was $27.00 plus shipping.
Even the holes for the 2 top hooks? The instructions state that you'll need to drill a 15mm hole for the tops, but you can re-use the carpet clip holes for the 2 on the bottom.

-r
Old 09-16-2003, 10:40 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

While we're on the topic, what would you use the carpet clip holes for, if not the cargo-net?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
TSX, baby!

I recently observed a cargo net install. If the person doing the install has never done it before, it actually does take a good 45 minutes - to discover pitfalls and what the hell you actually have to do.

The instructions aren't very accurate, and some parts are even incorrect (in step 5, it says the trunk floormat should be removed after you remove the 2 clips in the back holding it in, and on this particular TSX, the trunk floormat was NOT removable. It took a few minutes to figure this out.)

If you know exactly what needs to be done (you've done the install before) - it shouldn't be more than 20 minutes.

And you need to drill 1 hole on each side through the trunk lining/trim for the top clip. You use the hole that previously held the clip for the lower hooks.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How the heck do you install the cargo net?

You know, I just bought the cargo net and took it home. I didn't realize that the instructions only came with the template for wherever it goes and nothing more.. Do you happen to have pictures of where these hooks are installed?

(edit) Oh. there's do-it yourself instructions here at
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...tructions/tsx/
Old 09-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Instructor

I got the cargo net in one day for $99 (cargonet + install). I know in a few cases where Acura charges dealers more for some accessory parts like bodykits, than they cost online. So online it may cost $800, but a dealer buying it from Acura may be charged $950.. (I don't know about the cargonet, but that is just an example) Though, making you put gas in it, well that just seems silly.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Banned

I think I got the instructions but no template...
Old 09-17-2003, 07:57 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by Crazytree
I think I got the instructions but no template...
The template should have been folded up and in with the parts bag. You buy it from hondacuraworld.com ?

-r
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the template should come in the bag with all the nuts/bolts. I dont have a drill or circular saw so I'm just having the dealer install mine, plus i was afraid i might drill into the wires or something

anyways, they quoted $48 for the install. i got the net from hondaacuraworld for ~$25
Old 09-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by idx
I'm pretty sure even I can do the cargo net in 1.5hrs .. That being someone that's not very mechanical (albeit technical .. just gimme a keyboard) and is usually slow with these kinds of things.

A dealership should be able to whip that thing in 15 minutes. I'm sure their techs have done many of them.

-r
I am affraid this is not something you can bank on.

It has been my experience for the past 13 driving years involving many repairs that most dealer techs are just as incompetent as I am when it comes to installing accessories. The difference is that I *care* about the car.

So what ever repairs need to be done, I do it myself. The "certified" tech in the Dealer is going to be doing the same thing as I am: following the directions from the shop manual line by line.

Of course when there are special tools needed, I have no choice but to take it to a shop, such as when I had to get the rotors replaced on a '92 Accord. Speaking of which, I wonder who was the bright door knob that decided it should require taking apart three ball joints, the ABS sensor, steering knuckle, and the hub bearing assembly just to replace a frigging rotor.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Banned

the marketing geniuses that want to make sure you get your rotors fixed at the dealer.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

OK here's something in the same vane:

I needed an oil change on my 97EL (you know that Acura Civic) and they asked $50.00 for synthetic oil. I was OK with that cause they also wash the car at the same time, not essential but a nice touch. So I ask the service guy how much for a transmission oil change at the same time... he says $50.00. I tell him that is outrageous: an EL needs only two liters of gearbox oil, you take the drain plug out, take the filler plug off (manual G/B) Put first plug back in and fill to the edge of the whole. I checked the price of a litre of Honda oil at Acura is $8.00 the same litre at a Honda dealer, 5 minutes down the road is $6.00 (air filter was $18.00 versus $15.00).

Now I know the Honda dealer still makes good profits on the parts he sells so why should the Acura guy make more? He is selling the exact same Honda part at 25% more. Does this make sense to you guys?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Banned

marketing decided that the only way for you to know that you drive a luxury car is by getting ripped off when you service it.

btw what is up with these half-ass dealship washes? I'd get a better wash if I gave some drunk bum with a squeegee two bucks.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by LeeLee
I am affraid this is not something you can bank on.

It has been my experience for the past 13 driving years involving many repairs that most dealer techs are just as incompetent as I am when it comes to installing accessories. The difference is that I *care* about the car.
Unfortunately I know you're right, but I'd like to think the people working on my car have a clue. I definitely know that I'll take my time and not just plow through an install.

-r