Anybody realize when checking the oil dipstick.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
To eliminate this hassle...everyone should trade-in their TSX and buy an E90 or MB, which don't have dipsticks at all! They have onboard monitors which display the current oil level.

Personally, I think most cars drain quite rapidly, especially when the oil is hot. Ever go for a long drive (30 mi or longer), shut off the engine, and within 30 sec or so, here a "drip, drip, drip" sound of the oil dripping back to (wherever)?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
To eliminate this hassle...everyone should trade-in their TSX and buy an E90 or MB, which don't have dipsticks at all! They have onboard monitors which display the current oil level.

Personally, I think most cars drain quite rapidly, especially when the oil is hot. Ever go for a long drive (30 mi or longer), shut off the engine, and within 30 sec or so, here a "drip, drip, drip" sound of the oil dripping back to (wherever)?

Hey michael. Hows it going? When did you become a moderator?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Type-S user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsclifton
^^^

How to inflate the tires?

Buckle the Seatbelt?

Oh wait .... how to refuel?
Probably you have a good dip-stick... but other not, because my dipstick has the same problem.... and yes.. I'm not a stupid to check after 30 secs or when the car is not standing flat and so on.
My previous honda accord dipstick worked fine... but this one isn't.

I'm not too worried about it... because in all the years i own a honda (acura) I never needed to fill by the oil... so my checking schedule is ..eh.. around once in half a year or so...LOL
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no such thing as a bad dipstick unless it's actually bent or broke in half. I know what some of you are talking about when you don't see a definite oil line on the end of the dipstick. When the engine is running, there is oil all over the internal components, including the tube where the dipstick is. Oil stays on the components pretty good even after many minutes the engine is turned off. If you pull out the dipstick while there still oil inside of the dipstick tube, there is a good chance the side of the dipstick will come in contact with the tube and pick up traces of oil as it comes out. This is especially if the dipstick didn't come straight out. It's not practical having to wait for hours to check the oil level. Therefore, one needs to learn how to read it correctly, ignoring any oil traces from the side. If you actually wait longer (over night), the oil level should be more apparent.

Edit: actually, I shouldn't use the term "dipstick tube" for the TSX as it doesn't really have one like some other Hondas or makes of vehicles. The dipstick actually goes through the cylinder head and down to the oil pan. The hole that it actually goes through is probably one of the oil return galleys on the cylinder head, which makes a lot of sense why some waited a long time and still couldn't get a good reading. That is because oil is continuing to drain down through that hole back to the oil pan! As a side note, if you let the oil drain for a few hours during your next oil change, you would be surprised the engine can easily take at least 5 qts of oil for the same reason.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two additional points or clarifications here...

Not to be too obious here but you should always check your oil level after you've changed your oil to gauge a more true reading as stated above and to compensate for the new (empty) oil filter. Do this after driving the vehicle and letting it sit for enough time to drain the oil back down to the pan.

And for those of you who are unaware, yes you do have to turn/twist the dipstick when taking it out & putting it back into the pan. I can see where some might choose force over brains and quite possibly "bend" the dipstick. When in doubt - Don't force it.