Anybody come from a Passat to the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody come from a Passat to the TSX?

Hey all,

Present owner of a 2002 Passat 1.8T manual. Nice car.......... but it's not a sporty drive.

I am considering the 2006 TSX, now that the HP is slightly more.

Who here came from a VW Passat, and are they pleased with the switch? What differences did you notice between the cars?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Every1 that switched from European are very pleased with their TSX.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianS
Every1 that switched from European are very pleased with their TSX.

I came from a vw gti...and this was a very good decision for me.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
vt alumni

I came from a vw jetta III and i gotta say this car blows me away. never been so pleased with anything i have ever bought. the vw is a good car but the tsx is on another level, test drive one a couple times and youll know what i mean
Old 08-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Instructor

I had a 99 Passat 1.8T Tiptronic and I just bought my 05 TSX back in May. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Here's my two cents in comparing the two cars:

TSX Pros:
- Better handling. Much sportier.
- Better looking dash w/LED back lit gauges.
- Better looking outside.
- The TSX standard stereo blows tha Passat's stereo away.
- 5AT way more responsive than the Tiptronic. Our 5AT allows you to start in 2nd gear.
- Millage is about the same between the two cars. I think the TSX is slightly better.
- No Turbo lag (no turbo at all actually) on the TSX. The Passat had no power taking off.
- A lot cheaper in parts and maintenance. VW issued a bulletin last year that all 1.8T Passat has to use synthetic oil.
- Much better reliability (I am hoping)

TSX Cons:
- Dash material not as good as the Passat's. A lot of hard plastics around the TSX dash.
- Really miss the trip computer. I don't have NAVI in the TSX.
- Miss the cool VW folding key.
- Steering a lot heavier than the Passat but it doesn't commuincate with the road any better.
- Bigger turning circle.
- The TSX wonders a bit more on the hiway but still acceptable.
- Smaller trunk. Smaller interior.
- The body metal is flimsier.
- Thin body paint.
- Slightly more expensive insurance.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I must say that is the first time I remember anyone bring up insurance cost when comparing cars. Very important when I make decisions on cars. It is not a deal maker, but I do check it out before I buy. I was surprised at the TSX cost to insure.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by afax226
I had a 99 Passat 1.8T Tiptronic and I just bought my 05 TSX back in May. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Here's my two cents in comparing the two cars:

TSX Pros:
- Better handling. Much sportier.
- Better looking dash w/LED back lit gauges.
- Better looking outside.
- The TSX standard stereo blows tha Passat's stereo away.
- 5AT way more responsive than the Tiptronic. Our 5AT allows you to start in 2nd gear.
- Millage is about the same between the two cars. I think the TSX is slightly better.
- No Turbo lag (no turbo at all actually) on the TSX. The Passat had no power taking off.
- A lot cheaper in parts and maintenance. VW issued a bulletin last year that all 1.8T Passat has to use synthetic oil.
- Much better reliability (I am hoping)

TSX Cons:
- Dash material not as good as the Passat's. A lot of hard plastics around the TSX dash.
- Really miss the trip computer. I don't have NAVI in the TSX.
- Steering a lot heavier than the Passat but it doesn't commuincate with the road any better.
- Bigger turning circle.
- The TSX wonders a bit more on the hiway but still acceptable.
- Smaller trunk. Smaller interior.
- The body metal is flimsier.
- Thin body paint.
- Slightly more expensive insurance.
I didnt have a Passat but I had a Jetta. The Jetta I must admit was much more fun to drive because of the lighter steering and extra torque. I was also able to throw the Jetta around easier.
The stock stereo in the Jetta is much better than the stereo in the TSX. I think if I was to change out the speakers in the TSX then it would be a much closer comparison.

On whether or not its better looking that is all in ones perception. I almost bought an 05 Passat. I was very close, but I didnt want to have the same problems that I had in my Jetta. Of course, my Jetta was an 01 and alot of the problems were solved by 05.

I really like my TSX. For the money and all it has to offer there is nothing else out there. Especially, for an entry level luxury. And yes, that was a part of my decision on getting the Acura instead of another VW. Of course now, Im pissed because I got my car a month ago and the new style will be coming out, GOSH!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NightShredder
I must say that is the first time I remember anyone bring up insurance cost when comparing cars. Very important when I make decisions on cars. It is not a deal maker, but I do check it out before I buy. I was surprised at the TSX cost to insure.
Honda always cost more to insure
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianS
Honda always cost more to insure
Just for quriosity, why?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ontilt
The stock stereo in the Jetta is much better than the stereo in the TSX. I think if I was to change out the speakers in the TSX then it would be a much closer comparison.

I really like my TSX. For the money and all it has to offer there is nothing else out there. Especially, for an entry level luxury. And yes, that was a part of my decision on getting the Acura instead of another VW. Of course now, Im pissed because I got my car a month ago and the new style will be coming out, GOSH!!!
Well, I am surprise to hear how good the Jetta's stereo is. VW must have upgraded them in 01. The stereo in my 99 Passat had no base or treble whatsoever. It was just flat.

You are lucky that you didn't get the 05 Passat. Otherwise, you would be really really pissed. The brand new 06 Passat is coming in August this year. I am hoping the 06 would hit the story until October.

BTW, I hate the look of the 06 Passat
Old 08-03-2005, 04:31 PM
The extra b is for byobb

Just for quriosity, why?
Theft rates and higher residual value. If you total your car the insurance company has to pay you more money than if it was a Ford with the same original MSRP
Old 08-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Well, I am surprise to hear how good the Jetta's stereo is. VW must have upgraded them in 01. The stereo in my 99 Passat had no base or treble whatsoever. It was just flat.

You are lucky that you didn't get the 05 Passat. Otherwise, you would be really really pissed. The brand new 06 Passat is coming in August this year. I am hoping the 06 would hit the story until October.

BTW, I hate the look of the 06 Passat
Yeah, the Monsoon system is really good.

Also, I wanted to get the 05 because of no problems. I knew the new Passat was coming out, but that thing is pretty expensive and I really didnt like the look nearly as much as the old body style.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

How are the seats? I test drove a TSX and remembered my back was sore afterwards........... the Passat has this great lumbar that fits my back perfectly.

Thanks all for feedback..................... oh, TSX has flimsy paint? Explain please.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by meesr
How are the seats? I test drove a TSX and remembered my back was sore afterwards........... the Passat has this great lumbar that fits my back perfectly.

Thanks all for feedback..................... oh, TSX has flimsy paint? Explain please.
The seats in the Passat are softer, but that's because the seats in the TSX are firmer like a sport bucket. I loved my Jettas seats, so in comparison I like those better, but I finally found right where I like my TSX seats until the G/F picked me up at the airport and moved it.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my coworker just traded in her 2002 passat for a '05 TL w/navi. she loves it.

she got tired of VW, and final straw was when she found out dealership ripped her off on the maintenance service.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded in a 98 1.8t Tiptronic Passat about a month and a half ago for a TSX. That car was a @!#$@ money pit and I'm glad to be rid of it!

Actually, it between trips to the shop, it was a really nice car to drive. However, I'd say the TSX handles better, has better throttle response, a MUCH smarter transmission and is a bit smoother. However, the Passat had less road noise, a trip computer and was a bit roomier.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Cruisin'

Does the TSX has the "one touch" sunroof feature button that VWs have?

Also, VW has these neat features:

1. The roll down all windows with the key.

2. You can open the trunk and when you close it the alarm re arms.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:42 AM
"You are just a puppet.."

Does the TSX has the "one touch" sunroof feature button that VWs have?

Also, VW has these neat features:

1. The roll down all windows with the key.

2. You can open the trunk and when you close it the alarm re arms. maybe?
dont know about the last one
Old 08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Instructor

I think the TSX seat is pretty good. I had back pain during the 1st two weeks of driving it but it was caused by improper seat adjustment. Now, I've found the perfect seating position and my back is fine.

The TSX doesn't have a one-touch sunroof but for me, this feature is overrated and I tell you why. I was driving my dad's Camry. It started to rain and I intended to close the tilted moonroof. Because I wasn't familiar with the car, I pressed the wrong side of the button. The whole damn thing started to slide wide open. I was going 100km/hr and the rain started to pour in. It wasn't fun!

As for the Monsoon system. I had a loaner Beetle once but I wasn't impressed with the quality of the sound. Maybe it's just me. However, I've heard the stereo in a 06 Jetta. That thing is good. I just don't like the look of the stereo.

I am pretty sure that you can open the trunk with the alarm on in the TSX.

I do miss the one touch up and down window in the passenger side.

As for opening and closing all the windows with a key, the TSX does a better job than the Passat. In the TSX, you can use the remote to open all the windows. However, you can only close all the windows with the key. Unfortunately, neither the key or the remote controls the moonroof. I know the Passat has this function.

I wonder why Honda didn't put Electronic Brake Force distribution in our TSX's until 06. Even the present Accord has it.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Came from 2 VW's ...

99 Jetta 2.0l ...... too many problems.....

98 GTI VR6 ... not as many issues.... quick with the mods I did.... still had stupid issues too soon for a car that was 5 years old when I sold....

Just was thinking a day ago why I bought the TSX... realiable, handles well and looks so good... it has its squeaks, but so many friends/family members I know have honda/acura and they last.. and they put nothing into them. So now with a house and different expenses, perfect car to still enjoy driving but not have to sink tons of $$$ in to keep it going... my other car is Volvo XC70, so far so good but if it gives me issues it will be replaced with a Pilot most likely.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
2nd Gear

I owned 2001.5 Passat before purchasing 05 TSX. I am happy with the switch but there are certain things that I like Passat better. Spacious cabin for one, smoother ride vs TSX stiff suspension and acceleration (my passat was a V6). Other than that, I am loving my TSX!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Instructor

I forgot to mention one thing about the seat in the Passat. I always thought that the bottom cushion was too short, leaving the bottom of the knee hanging in mid air. Even my vertically challenged mom noticed that. The TSX's seat cushion is much better.

C
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just as a side note, you can't bring folding keys with you on airplanes. They're now considered a folding weapon.
Instructor

I forgot to mention one thing about the seat in the Passat. I always thought that the bottom cushion was too short, leaving the bottom of the knee hanging in mid air. Even my vertically challenged mom noticed that. The TSX's seat cushion is much better.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Just as a side note, you can't bring folding keys with you on airplanes. They're now considered a folding weapon.
They should also consider MB as a weapon too, since heard so many ML and S-class that bombing themselves on the street...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Any comparisons between the TSX VTEC and the 1.8t turbo?

Likes of 1.8T:

1. Torque

Dislikes:

1. Turbo Lag.

What are likes and dislikes of the VTEC in comparison?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Any comparisons between the TSX VTEC and the 1.8t turbo?

Likes of 1.8T:

1. Torque

Dislikes:

1. Turbo Lag.

What are likes and dislikes of the VTEC in comparison?
Likes of VTEC & iVTEC:

1. Smooth
2. Refine high rpm
3. Eager to rev

Dislikes:

1. Hard to satisfy with all other cars

Also Honda not just locked us with VTEC, Honda's manual tranny is also the best. I read something long time ago, that even Ferrari consult Honda for improving their manual tanny.