Any door "dings" yet because TSX lacks door protectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any door "dings" yet because TSX lacks door protectors?

you know, the door mouldings. 95% of the cars out there have them, but the TSX does not. I can see Saturns not having them with their better reinforced doors, but not a car like the TSX (though, I like the look of the car with out them).

Does anybody think their car has been more vulnerable to door "dings", other car doors opening into your doors that would be protected had your TSX had the moldings??

one of many questions I am considering as I contemplate joining the TSX club.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:57 AM
Instructor

Most door mouldings are not on the correct position to even protect the door, take a look at a 3 series BMW they are below the part of the door that sticks out the most. They are usually placed where they will look good and provide very little protection.

I just park far away from other cars, If I must park near another car I park in a spot that has no car on my drivers side (like and end spot in the lot) I do that due to the fact that most drivers will be more careful than a passenger because they to do not want to damage their own car.

Parinoid, yes. Door dings, not yet. It's been about 2 months so far
Old 07-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, so far I got 2 right on my driver's door. The last one goes back to yesterday, and left anice big burgundy stain with it. But I caught the old lady who did this, and I will pass on the bill to her once I get it repaired. I am starting to regret the absence of a molding, though it looks better that way.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 AM
wiz
Pro

I have a ding on my passenger side front door. It's below the crease near the door handle and can only be seen if you're really looking for it, and looking at the right angle (and if the car is clean). I am used to getting dings in my cars though, there really is nothing you can do about it when you park in a parking lot with other idiotic drivers. It's not the end of the world, at least they didn't break the paint.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

It's going to happen to all of us. I personally don't have any yet because I try and minimize my risk by parking way out in East Dicksmack. Also, make reference to the vehicle you intend to park next to. Obviously if you see some big ole rusted out POS with window tint comprised of calvin pissing on various logos, heed warning to the obvious.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Any door "dings" yet because TSX lacks door protectors?

Originally posted by combustible1
Does anybody think their car has been more vulnerable to door "dings", other car doors opening into your doors that would be protected had your TSX had the moldings??

one of many questions I am considering as I contemplate joining the TSX club.
No dings on mine yet but I am very careful where I park it. I was just taking note of new cars with no side mouldings the other day:
Celica
Acura mdx
Acura tsx
honda civic 2 door
honda accord 2 door
mazda miati
audi tt
toyota matrix
most full size vans and many full size pick up trucks
Old 07-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Nuke

Re: Re: Any door "dings" yet because TSX lacks door protectors?

Originally posted by nuke
No dings on mine yet but I am very careful where I park it. I was just taking note of new cars with no side mouldings the other day:
and Acura RSX
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intergra type-r .
Old 07-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

No dings yet, but will eventually happen. I try to park the car as far away as possible from the other car or, I try to park beside a more expensive car hoping that the other car owner will "try" to be careful.
Did anybody out there put on the door moldings, and if so can you please post pics? I'd be curious to see how it looks.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by STRYKER
No dings yet, but will eventually happen. I try to park the car as far away as possible from the other car or, I try to park beside a more expensive car hoping that the other car owner will "try" to be careful.
Did anybody out there put on the door moldings, and if so can you please post pics? I'd be curious to see how it looks.
Heres an SSM TSX with mouldings from a NA accord.

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4182
Old 07-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Nuke

Originally posted by fdl

He did a good job in sizing those mouldings; I think I will stick with careful parking. I am sure if I had side mouldings, I would have several dings by now as I would not have been careful parking. So many SUV's, big mirrors and unusual shaped cars around that mouldings don't provide that much protection.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Registered AssHat

No door dings at all.

Park in BFE. It helps.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fdl

Thanks for posting that link. I would prefer not to have moldings, but I would rather have moldings than dings. No molding prevents all dings everywhere all of the time. Those moldings are not that bad looking. Someone is bound to offer some aftermarket moldings if Acura doesn't do that.

Moldings are a means of reducing the risk, just like parking out of the way, hawging three spaces, and other tactics that some may use to protect their dingable treasures.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Instructor

I had a door ding removed on my TSX already, thanks "Dent Wizards". Couldn't remove the small scratch on the clear coat though(buffing didn't help). Moldings may help in some situations but not all. It's definitely not a cure all. I park carefully and wisely and forget about adding molding, it'll make the TSX look ordinary.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:26 AM
Banned

Nope, none. Somebody backed into my right headlight though. New bumper cover, new headlight unit, massage fender back into place, $1591.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Anyone know where to get the Accord moulding shown in the pic? I tried online, but the ones I found required holes in the door to mount. I added the door edge guard, which only helps when I open MY door. I know it kills the sleek look, but I can't bear the thought of getting my first ding
Old 07-24-2003, 12:43 AM
More On

Originally posted by siliobear
.....I know it kills the sleek look, but I can't bear the thought of getting my first ding
With you there, nothing kills the sleek look.

(Are we allowed to say that?)
Old 07-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Nuke

Originally posted by siliobear
Anyone know where to get the Accord moulding shown in the pic? I tried online, but the ones I found required holes in the door to mount. I added the door edge guard, which only helps when I open MY door. I know it kills the sleek look, but I can't bear the thought of getting my first ding
From a later post on the same site....he customized the Accord moulding ....

I purchased SSM US Accord molding. Then, I machined duramax plastic to fill the interior part of the molding since it is hollow and epoxied it in place. See, the US Accord molding was designed to attach to the doors by clips. Well, as you might imagine, I did not want to drill holes in the door sides. So, I filled in the molding and then I covered it with 3M VHB tape and attached it to the doors.

Plasticman.