Another Soon-to-be TSX Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:42 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another Soon-to-be TSX Driver

Two weeks ago a TSX passed me on the highway and it totally caught my eye. It was the first one I had seen in person. I was seriously considering getting an A4, but after that, I had to go check one out. So I test drove one for the first time yesterday and now I HAVE to get one. I love the interior of this car!

They had 6 TSX's on the lot: 3 meteor silver and 3 satin silver. I want to see one in carbon grey, nighthawk black or arctic blue before I order mine (automatic, navi). They have several due in late Sept.

I have some questions about the colors if someone could answer them. Is the nighthawk a metallic black? How is the arctic blue in comparison to the blue on the CL? Is it deeper or darker or what?

They were out of brochures, so the only way I've seen the other colors is in pics online and in mags.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

i just took photos of my TSX today in black , ill post them tomorrow
Old 09-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Re: Another Soon-to-be TSX Driver

Originally posted by CWSea
I have some questions about the colors if someone could answer them. Is the nighthawk a metallic black? How is the arctic blue in comparison to the blue on the CL? Is it deeper or darker or what?
The black is the same black they use on all other Acuras (except NSX) and Arctic Blue is also available on the RSX-S. If the dealer has any of those in stock, you might be able to see the colors on another model.

Also, you might want to search the galleries and past threads, all colors have had posted pictures.

Regardless of which color you pick, the TSX looks great in all the colors it is available in and you can't say that for many cars.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice of car. I'm partial to the CG.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

They had 6 TSX's on the lot: 3 meteor silver and 3 satin silver. I want to see one in carbon grey, nighthawk black or arctic blue before I order mine (automatic, navi). They have several due in late Sept.
The RL is available in Carbon Grey. Perhaps your dealer has one of those to look at to gauge the color.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for all the info. I made the mistake of going to the dealership on a weekend. It was crazy. I would usually like the fact that they left me alone to look, but when I finally had some questions, it was difficult to get some answers. I'm going back on a weekday to ask more questions and look for the colors on other models.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

6 on the lot? That's impressive. I drove the the dealership near my work the other day and saw none...not a single TSX on the lot. I see some trucks full of them occasionally but they seem to be all gone. To see this kind of demand for the car is exciting.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer had nine when I bought my car, but all but one was already sold.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:46 PM
6th Gear

Smile I'm now a TSX owner!!!

I had finally decided on the color I wanted and was told it would be 4-5 weeks before it arrived. I went in to the dealer today to leave my deposit and he told me that a Nighthawk Black Pearl/Ebony/5AT/Navi TSX had just arrived and was no longer claimed. I sooooo lucked out! I bought it right then. WooHoo!

It was kinda cool to see it just off the truck, with all of the plastic coating on it. They did a great job detailing it.

It was the easiest car-buying experience I've ever had.
I'm getting the spoiler put on it Wednesday and they already have a loaner TSX reserved for me.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Drifting

Re: I'm now a TSX owner!!!

I had finally decided on the color I wanted and was told it would be 4-5 weeks before it arrived. I went in to the dealer today to leave my deposit and he told me that a Nighthawk Black Pearl/Ebony/5AT/Navi TSX had just arrived and was no longer claimed. I sooooo lucked out! I bought it right then. WooHoo!

It was kinda cool to see it just off the truck, with all of the plastic coating on it. They did a great job detailing it.

It was the easiest car-buying experience I've ever had.
I'm getting the spoiler put on it Wednesday and they already have a loaner TSX reserved for me.
Whaddyapay?
Old 09-14-2003, 03:31 AM
6th Gear

paid msrp

I paid MSRP. We have 4 Acura dealerships in the Seattle area and they are all selling TSX's at MSRP, no deals. The cars are selling so fast, they don't need to deal. Believe me, I spent almost 2 weeks trying to deal with all 4 of them. No one would budge...not even $100. I honestly didn't mind paying it though, I think this car is worth it. I'm totally satisfied.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Racer

I honestly didn't mind paying it though, I think this car is worth it. I'm totally satisfied.
No one should have to pay MSRP! I don't care, what brand, model, or how fast they are selling. That goes for any car within a reasonable price range (excluding exotics).

You paid =>30K or over for a TSX? (with tax/title/reg/spoiler/installation) You got ripped!

Old 09-14-2003, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

I don't feel like I got "ripped" at all...and that's what matters. This area is famous for its car costs. It seems like the only people I know who have been able to get $1000 or more below MSRP are people who bought crappy Pontiacs, Fords or Dodges.

I went to a Saab dealership twice to check out the 9-3 Vector. The car was fully loaded and the best price I could get was $34,600 PLUS TTL!!! It was going to be $38,200 total!
Hell, one of the Audi dealerships here (oldest one in the country, in fact) even tries the stupid "extra dealer sticker" BS. At that place you have to haggle for hours just to get the price down to MSRP. Yet they are one of the highest Audi dealers in the country in volume sales. Last week they were trying to sell a USED '02 A4 3.0 quattro with 39k miles for $32,000. My jaw dropped every time I've looked at a car there.

Almost all TSX's are presold here. I could have gotten a great deal on an '03 TL or any RSX, but no one is budging on the TSX. At least, not here.

I'm happy with my decision and I got exactly what I wanted.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Racer

I went to a Saab dealership twice to check out the 9-3 Vector. The car was fully loaded and the best price I could get was $34,600 PLUS TTL!!! It was going to be $38,200 total!
They obviously didn't tell you about the $4000 rebateson the 9-3. You could have gotten a fully loaded Arc (like Wishiwere) for less than 30.

But anyway, as long as you're happy. Congrats!
Old 09-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Racer

There's an obvious reason why GM is providing $4000 (wow!) discounts on the 9-3 - demand is low. Demand is low because the 9-3 is an underwhelming performer at its set price, not because the public is misinformed or uniformed (only 93Kewl is). That is the bottom line.

04 CG TSX/AT/NAV
03 SSM MDX/TOURING/NAV/RES
Old 09-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Racer

Demand is low because the 9-3 is an underwhelming performer at its set price, not because the public is misinformed or uniformed (only 93Kewl is). That is the bottom line.
Once again, another misinformed Acura fan-boy. Sales were strong even before the rebates.Some people want more out of their cars than what the TSX offers - otherwise I would have bought one. That's the bottom line.

Saab Cars USA drives into model year 2004 with strong August sales

Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan sales continue upward, lifting year-to-date sales up 17% over last year

Norcross, GA - August proved to be yet another strong month for the Swedish manufacturer in the U.S. Sales for the month came in at 4,209 vehicles, up three percent over 2002. For the year, Saab sales in the U.S. reached 33,085 vehicles, a 17 percent increase over last year's 28,390 for the first eight months of the year.

The car behind the sales story for Saab in 2003 is the all-new 9-3 Sport Sedan. Saab sold 2,287 of the award-winning sedan in August, a whopping 253 percent volume increase over the preceding 9-3 hardtop in August 2002. Year-to-date, the Sport Sedan is outselling the old model 9-3 hardtop by 92 percent.

"The 9-3 Sport Sedan is doing for us exactly what we had hoped and predicted," said Ed Peper, VP of Sales for Saab Cars USA. "We're seeing younger buyers coming from other brands visiting our showrooms to purchase the Sport Sedan."

Another success story at Saab can be found in the Certified Pre-Owned Program. August sales totaled 1,180 vehicles - breaking the 1,000 mark for the first time in the program's history. This volume marked a 163 percent increase over last August, and brought year-to-date sales to 6,297, a 142 percent increase over 2002.

"We're ready for the upcoming model year with increased dealer traffic and growing market share," said Peper. "Later this year we'll have other exciting product announcements to even further expand our customer appeal."
Old 09-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Picked up my TSX Thursday night was a great stroke of luck. Had my Integra totaled and it appeared that I would be waiting three months to get a TSX. One SSM TSX deal fell through as it was coming off the truck and I am now the happy owner. Yes, they are hot and discounts are non-existant.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess the competitive environment depends on the degree of collusion and price-fixing amongst dealers as well as the number of dealers.

When I obtained quotes, I recall 4 dealers offering below MSRP. Two car buying services offered quotes below MSRP. Of course, in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area plus the Greater Sacramento area, there must be 10 Acura dealers.

My price was $800 below MSRP, $26,200. I added a few accessories that brought it close to $26,500 or so. Add to that, tax, license, doc fee ($45), and tire fee ($5). My total OTD was somewhere in the mid-$28K. Best of all, it's all paid for, although the car will not be physically OTD until Monday!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Racer

Most enthusiast sites are just that - for enthusiasts of the mark or model. I find it interesting this site has way more trolls than MDX.ORG does.
Every auto magazine comparison article I've read rates the TSX over the 9-3. I'm not even sure "what more" you're talking about that "some people" might want out of their cars that would make them consider a 9-3. The market is telling SAAB and GM the same thing I'm pointing out here and that's why 9-3's are being heavily rebated (or did you skip econ 101). When the rebates stop, the "strong" sales (and with only 2300 9-3's sold in August, you are talking "relatively" strong) will also stop. The final straw for me was your snide "as long as you're happy" comment to the poster who started this thread with her announcement about buying a new TSX. I think you need to move on to another forum.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Advanced

i totally agree...get the hell out of here and go where your comments are welcome.
I am trying to see things from kewls point of view, but i cant seem to get my head that far up my arse!! LOL
Old 09-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Racer

Every auto magazine comparison article I've read rates the TSX over the 9-3. I'm not even sure "what more" you're talking about that "some people" might want out of their cars that would make them consider a 9-3.
New around here, huh?

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

Don't like the fact that I drive another brand of car? Too bad. Don't like the fact that I think paying MSRP FOR ANY CAR (which was my original statement)? Too bad.

But anyway, as long as you're happy. Congrats!
My comment about "as long as you are happy" was sincere (not that I should have to explain it to you or anyone else). My comment was made in response that the poster couldn't get anyone to budge on the price.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Many makes and models of cars can only dream to fetch MSRP. Strong brand identity and reputation begets real demand.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Racer

Kewl,
Let me get this straight, you paid $32K for a car that has exactly 10 more HP than the TSX (but uses crappy turbo technology to make it and is not any faster) and has basically similar features (though I like my interior much better)? That's about $3K over what I paid for my TSX. And you didn't get navigation? And SAAB's are not generally known for their reliability (hell, my wife knows that). And the 9-3 is not even better looking. But then you did save $4K off the list price though...so I guess that makes you a genius, Mr. Kewl. Heh, heh.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Racer

TSX (but uses crappy turbo technology to make it and is not any faster)
Ignorance. The car may not be any faster, but it absolutely does have more low-end punch than the TSX does. This is a fact. I have drove the TSX several times and was not impressed. This is also substantiated by the many owners on this board who also feel the same way. There is absolutely a difference in the way the two engines perform and it basically comes down to preference on which you prefer.

Navigation? Don't need it. I could have gotten it on my CL-S and didn't feel it was worth the expense. Point mute.

Reliability? Yes, I concede that Saab has not been AS reliable as the Honda/Acura segment of cars, but that in no way means Saab is terrible. Even when one of your own (hey Larchmont) presented various facts of reliability, Saab always has done better than many perceive. Plus, if you haven't noticed, Acura and Honda have slipped lately while Saab has been on the upswing. Lexus/Toyota owners look at Honda the same way you look at Saab. Same difference.

And the 9-3 is not even better looking. But then you did save $4K off the list price though...so I guess that makes you a genius, Mr. Kewl. Heh, heh.
Not better looking? Now that's subjective! Hey, that's your opinion. I personally think that the "cookie cutter" japanese mentality is getting old. Hmmmm...I wonder why all the reviews I read about the TSX call the car "bland".

As I have said probably a 1000x on this board to individuals like you, the 9-3 offered the best combination of performance, features, comfort, sportiness, and unique looks that I could find. Coming from a feature laden/and powerful car like the CL-S I didn't want to spend around 30K for a car that has "less" than what I have. The 9-3 offered "more" and for a price I couldn't argue with. Face it, many of the arguements you try to present here are the same that Accord/Toyota/Mazda owners present in light of comparing the TSX to their cars.

Hey, enjoy your car, I know I will enjoy mine.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Kewl just cant stay out of trouble
Old 09-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Racer

Kewl just cant stay out of trouble
Your right fdl!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:43 AM
04 remembrance

Six? Intersting, many dealers seldom have more than two.

Well, since my 2002 TL is blue, I got the CG for the TSX, and it's beautiful-----
Old 09-15-2003, 02:20 AM
More On

Hey, CWSea, you did good. You thought it through, you picked your car, you got it fast, and you were happy with the transaction.

Except, Kewl has a different idea.

I don't understand Kewl. Most of the time IMO he has pretty good ideas, but now and then he deteriorates into nonsense -- and the really weird part is that even though he's smart enough to know better, he keeps repeating the same nonsense.

Like the stuff about "MSRP." Kewl hates my pointing this out, but what can I tell you, he keeps asking for it. It seems like he's phobic or allergic to "MSRP." It doesn't matter whether or not a car is WORTH what you pay for it, all that matters is if it's less than MSRP.

If they raised MSRP on the TSX a couple of thousand dollars and Kewl could get $1000 off that, THEN he'd buy it. He denies that he thinks like that, but it's obvious that he does.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:13 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
Kewl,
Let me get this straight, you paid $32K for a car that has exactly 10 more HP than the TSX (but uses crappy turbo technology to make it
Hey, don't knock it till you try it. A turbo completely changes (improves) the low-end responsiveness of an I4 and recent versions have proven quite reliable.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:53 PM
6th Gear

lovin it!

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, CWSea, you did good. You thought it through, you picked your car, you got it fast, and you were happy with the transaction.
Thanks larch. I think that value is subjective and I feel like the TSX is worth every penny that I'm paying for it. That's the bottom line IMO.

Wow, there have been a lot of posts on this since I was last on. I've been too busy playing with my new toy to check back on here!

Man, my car gets lots of looks! I was out in it with friends all day yesterday. The first time I parked it, I went into a store. When I came out, there was a young couple just staring at it...looking inside and all around it.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:48 PM
SEM
Cruisin'

CWSea, which Seattle dealership did you go to? I did get some cash off of my deal with Acura of Seattle, however, the ETA is early October for my CG/ebony/navi/auto.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

In the past few weeks I've been seeing more TSX's. Last weekend on Central Expressway and Rengstorff I saw an SSM. Today at lunch time, I saw a Nighthawk Black (probably the same as previously reported black TSX near work). An Asian male with Harry Potter eyeglasses was driving this one. And, also at lunchtiome today on 101 South near Marsh Road I saw an SSM zip by. No plates, but the dealer frame indicated Southcoast Acura. Methinks he's about 400 miles from the dealer and having a good time, eh?

I'm just hours away from taking delivery, maybe 4-6 hours.