Amazed by dealers lack of knowledge...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazed by dealers lack of knowledge...

Well I went to test drive the TL this past Friday at a local dealer here in Socal. I drove a non-navi/auto.

Let me just start by saying that I am just amazed by the lack of knowledge my contact at the dealership had and in the whole dealership in general.

My question was simple; how does one get the Brembo brakes on the car? He goes on and tells me that you have to get the A-spec with all the body molding. I knew this wasn't the right answer so I just figured that I would just ask my next question.

The second was what they were quoting as far as Money factor and Residuals and he said he didn't have them for the 6 speed.

I am generally annoyed already but my question to you is: Is it possible to have a different lease rate on the same vehicle with different options?

Other than the lease thing which I am not sure on they should get these guys on the web site so they can learn what they are selling.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:07 PM
has been here awhile

Well...if I were you, I wouldn't deal with just some sales person--if you have an Acura currently, talk to your service advisor at your dealer and they can give you a good representative. If you don't have an Acura, try dealing with the fleet manager or general manager...see if they'll show you the car themselves or see if they can recommend the best sales person.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:10 AM
7th Gear

Pipe,

It's possible to have different residuals based upon options per the numbers quoted in another thread around here. I think they were quoted a 2% reduction in the residual for navi models. Not sure if the money factor would be different though (wouldn't think the interest rate you pay should change, but the difference in the residual based upon what options are on the vehicle is understandable). So, to answer your question, yes it's possible to have different rates on the same vehicle. As for the salesman's knowledge (or lack thereof), I think one almost always finds that anyone selling anything is usually less well informed than the enthusiasts who frequent these forums, regardless of what it is they're selling. Cars, electronics, widgets, doesn't matter, they're just trying to make a living selling it while people on forums are generally obsessed with it. Just my general observation, of course there are always exceptions...

Jim
Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 AM
10th Gear

^^^^

Good point Jim...

Thanks for the info on the residuals.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Which dealership did you go to? What questions do you have? Maybe I can help with the answers. Not all salespeople are dummies you know.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Advanced

He is right about the residuals. The 6MT TLs are not due until November. In november the new residuals will be announced for all the Acuras. So he was infact right. Also from car to car the residuals can be different (6mt vs 5AT), so again the salesman was right.

As for the Brembos you got him there.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:41 PM
10th Gear

I really wasn't sure about the residuals and that wasn't really what annoyed me.

What did annoy me was the fact that I he didn't know answers to which he (or I) could have gotten answers to from the web site.

I know not all sales people are dummies. I am in sales!
That is exactly why I was so disappointed.

The dealership was in the Cerritos Auto Mall