Am I too anal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Am I too anal?

A few weeks ago I had the dealer readjust my alignment - pulled too hard to the right. Since my Thanksgiving drive I have found that my steering wheel is not centered perfectly. When I do center it the car pulls to the left. I know this is small stuff but it bugs the hell out of me. Tomorrow it goes back for the readjsutment, BUT is this being too picky?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Kickstand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neg...its either right or wrong...thats not being anal...I'd call it striving for perfection
Old 12-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

I have the same problem with my car pulling to the left. I am going to the dealership today to see if they will fix it for me.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:55 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
This isn't anal at all. I had the same thing with my Prelude. In the past, I just took the car back to the alignment shop to re-adjust. But this shop (the only one I really trust and he would set the alignment per your request) is too far from my house and my work, and he only goes by appointment. Now, I do all the adjustments myself. I don't have the good alignment tools, but I learned about the simple alternates that most low-budgeted race teams use.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Kickstand

mine doesnt pull...now my tires follow every freakin groove in the damn road
Old 12-05-2003, 12:55 PM
VTECSTASY!

Originally posted by vwong
This isn't anal at all. I had the same thing with my Prelude. In the past, I just took the car back to the alignment shop to re-adjust. But this shop (the only one I really trust and he would set the alignment per your request) is too far from my house and my work, and he only goes by appointment. Now, I do all the adjustments myself. I don't have the good alignment tools, but I learned about the simple alternates that most low-budgeted race teams use.
Could you possibly share some of your insight? I would like to know how to adjust my alignment myself. Im interested on how to center the steering wheel. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Racer

If it's gonna interfere with your enjoyment of the car, go for it. I felt the same way all 5 times I went in for rattle/noise issues. But guess what, I'm finally settled in and loving the car the way it was meant to be loved.

I just hope I don't notice that my steering wheel is off center now -- ignorance can be bliss
Old 12-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Advanced

This is not being anal. I have the exact same problem. The car went in after two weeks to repair minor defects and for realignment. They improved the alignment, the car will track straight, but the steering wheel is uncentered. If 12:00 is center my wheel is at 12:02. I am waiting for the next time the car goes in to fix this. The steering wheel should be straight with the alignment. I believe it is just laziness of the mechanic who aligned it to not make sure the wheel is straight.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more you think about it, the more exaggerated your misallignment will feel.

One thing to check though is your air pressure, it can affect your alignment drasitically, even 0.2 psi. Get a good Air Pressure guage (an analog one) that can measure very precise psi. I found that digital air gauges are really poor in finding the correct air pressure (they are only accurate to 0.5psi, and uses too much interpolation)

So, make sure your front left and right tires are EXACTLY the same pressure, then you should track straight!
Old 12-05-2003, 04:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

First the "Gay" thread...and now this....
Old 12-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Can't wait to drive

Originally posted by fdl
First the "Gay" thread...and now this....
Old 12-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by Arcticcl9
The more you think about it, the more exaggerated your misallignment will feel.

One thing to check though is your air pressure, it can affect your alignment drasitically, even 0.2 psi. Get a good Air Pressure guage (an analog one) that can measure very precise psi. I found that digital air gauges are really poor in finding the correct air pressure (they are only accurate to 0.5psi, and uses too much interpolation)

So, make sure your front left and right tires are EXACTLY the same pressure, then you should track straight!
Checking the air pressure was the first thing I did. My gauge has increments for each psi - can you recommend a good gauge. I took the car in this morning and all was according to spec - the did recenter the steering wheel.

BTW, those with body kits, the clip in the passenger side just below the front door can come loose and cause the side spoiler to 'flap' (actrually the hanger flaps}. cause quite an annoying noise. That was fixed while I was there.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Can't wait to drive

Originally posted by miner
Checking the air pressure was the first thing I did. My gauge has increments for each psi - can you recommend a good gauge. I took the car in this morning and all was according to spec - the did recenter the steering wheel.
I purchased "Monkey Grip" brand of air pressure guage at Autozone. They have a large dial gauge for displaying psi, and they are pretty accurate. it costs about 10 dollars, they have a smaller version for 5 dollars. I find them to be very accurate and precise, and since you can get them at Autozone it's readily available.