Am I the first??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I the first??

Well, I was heading up I-75 here in Cincinnati, Ohio and the car in front of me tossed a hub cap up and SLAMMED my windshield. So, am I the first to find out that there aren't any replacement windshields in the U.S. other than a special order from Acura?\

If you look carefully, you can see the "imprint" of the hub cap in the second picture... just in front of the steering wheel. Looks sorta like a hologram

Old 09-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ouch. good luck with it
Old 09-19-2003, 11:02 PM
More On

Sucks -- But, don't forget, the main thing is, YOU'RE OK!!!!!!

If something like that happens, believe me, the last thing I'm caring about is the windshield. Then again, I'm just guessing, because fortunately nothing like that has ever happened to me.

We probably all live in some fear of stuff like this happening. And, isn't our main fear that we're gonna get killed, or worse? So if it happens and you DON'T, well, you did good.

And, I suppose, your car did a darn good job for you too. (I assume/hope that no glass flew in at you or anything like that?)

So -- Thank you, Mr. TSX.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, my wife and i are just fine. Luckily I didn't flinch one bit b/c I was right next to a concrete barrier, as this was in a construction zone. Also, it was a grey Jaguar that threw it up at me... not really the guy's fault because he just happened to run over it. Finally, the cracks never came through to the inside of the passenger cabin... so yeah, I count myself very lucky.

Funny (or not so funny)... this is my second incident with items flying up at me from the highway. My first was in my father's 1988 Acura Legend Coupe about 4 years ago. I was driving, not too far away from the same location and someone kicked up a muffler canister at the car. It torpedoed the windshield at over 70 mph. It did not penetrate the passenger cabin.

Once again... lucky.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:20 PM
More On

Twice, huh? If there's any justice, that should be IT for you -- smooth sailing from here on in.

BTW I had an '88 Legend too, and also for a long time. I used to joke that it was going to take me into the next millenium. And it did.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Banned

HEH that must have been a nice jolt.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Advanced

As long as you and your passengers are OK.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:06 AM
Racer

that sucks.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:43 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Dude that sucks.

Make sure the individuals that install the new one don't scratch you fenders like my idiots did. Then you will need a fender repaint too.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:39 AM
CeD

I had something similiar happen to me about 2 weeks ago.

I was driving on I4 and a see a big tire on the dotted lines a while up. I decide to just keep on driving becuase it is so easy to avoid.

Then of course... there are the idiots... some old lady decides to change lanes right at the spot where the tire was. Next thing I know, it comes flying at me.

It left a whole bunch of black stuff on my bumper which I got out with wax. But there is still a dent.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I have some closure on this now. Thanks to Superior Acura in Fairfield, OH, my sales guy talked with the parts manager and because of their team work (yes this is a major promotion of their great service), they will be overnighting a new windshield so that on Tuesday (Sept. 23rd) it will be replaced.

If anyone ever wants a great sales guy in Ohio, Dan Carroll at Superior Acura is the best I've ever dealt with.

I baby the heck out of my car and this situation was made very complex due to the Insurance company and the auto glass replacement people not having the full staff of people to solve my problem on a weekend.

I guess in their world, nothing happens on the weekend. Well, this is sort of a unique situation because the car is so new, but still, I pay a ton of money every month for insurance, you'd think they could give me answer before Monday.

Luckily, (shameless plug again) we have great sales people like Dan to make up for the ignorance of others.

One other benefit... I'll have a Honda stamped replacement glass for the car and not some copy of the OEM. I like that alot.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:51 AM
More On

Originally posted by brerpie
I had something similiar happen to me about 2 weeks ago.

I was driving on I4 and a see a big tire on the dotted lines a while up. I decide to just keep on driving becuase it is so easy to avoid.

Then of course... there are the idiots... some old lady decides to change lanes right at the spot where the tire was. Next thing I know, it comes flying at me.

It left a whole bunch of black stuff on my bumper which I got out with wax. But there is still a dent.
Actually THIS is the main fear I have about stuff flying, because it's just about the worst I can imagine. Also it happened to a friend of mine (woman) a few years ago -- a tire came flying across a median AND THROUGH THE SIDE WINDOW. Everyone was OK, miraculously, although she was what you'd call "traumatized" -- as was everybody who heard the story.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:53 AM
More On

Originally posted by moda_way
Well, I have some closure on this now. Thanks to Superior Acura in Fairfield.....
Good to hear that it's coming out OK, and great that your Acura people are so good.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:58 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont
Actually THIS is the main fear I have about stuff flying, because it's just about the worst I can imagine. Also it happened to a friend of mine (woman) a few years ago -- a tire came flying across a median AND THROUGH THE SIDE WINDOW. Everyone was OK, miraculously, although she was what you'd call "traumatized" -- as was everybody who heard the story.

Wheels coming off trucks is more common than you might think. When it gets really bad is when they bounce into the oncoming traffic. I've read about a few of these fatalities over the years.

The worst thing that I have had flying at me on the highway was a wheel barrow that I'm assuming flew off the back of a pickup. I didnt see it untill the last second and luckily it missed me.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Aw heck! You're a pioneer if no one else has had to order theirs. Ordering parts from Japan (or anywhere overseas) could be a sign of things to come if the TSX remains low volume.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow ... here's to the TSX windshield being strong enough to defect the hub cap !! Glad you are ok

Good to see you dealer and salesman invovled to get things solved for you. My salesman also does not hesitate to help issues that involve service go smooth. That's how you get CLIENTS and not sales ...