Alarm??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alarm??

Since someone may have attempted stealing my headlights this weekend I was wondering if anyone could recommend any alarms. My main question is if someone tried removing my lights again could an alarm sense the vibration or motion. Excuse my ignorance, Ive never had an alarm or know anything about them...Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have Viper 5000 on my car. Yeah they're good at deterring theives, I know it's not full proof. It is better than stock alarm where it doesn't even have shock sensor.
You should look into the Viper 791xv i think they have 2 way paging like the 5000 which tells you if your car have been tampered with it'll beep on your remote. Also the 791xv have the remote start function which is very useful.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
team LoL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've had cLifford's matrix instaLLed with the 2way paging system on my previous car and they work reaLLy weLL. soon enough i'm going to have the same system instaLLed on my tsx.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
B A N N E D

clifford avant guard 5 or 5.5x
Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
I currently have Viper 5000 on my car. Yeah they're good at deterring theives, I know it's not full proof. It is better than stock alarm where it doesn't even have shock sensor.
You should look into the Viper 791xv i think they have 2 way paging like the 5000 which tells you if your car have been tampered with it'll beep on your remote. Also the 791xv have the remote start function which is very useful.
Did you lose any default features that came with the stock factory alarm like auto relock after a specfic time, all windows down, etc.? What about "driver 1" or "driver 2" detected when hitting the fob? Is that now gone?

Also doesn't the stock alarm activate if someone tries to open your trunk, hood or tamper with the headlights? If so, did you lose that as well?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

^^^^^ Can anyone provide inputs on this? I too want to install an aftermarket alarm, but don't don't want to lose all the goodies that comes with the stock alarm.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have been looking into this as well because i would really like to upgrade the alarm and get a remote start. I have an 04, so i don't even have the "driver1 & 2" option, but i am like 99% sure that those can't be programed into an aftermarket alarm. Depending on how many AUX buttons the remote has and frequencies is what will allow you to have more features from what i understand. The guy i am talking with said that i would remote start, lock/unlock, trunk pop, and he said he could get the windows down on a seperate button. He would have to look at it more closely (the wiring that is) to determine if more could be done. Oh, and he works primarily with Autopage and they have a new 5000ft range system coming out in a month!

He also said he could put a little button on the OEM FOB that would only be a remote start but because of out Acura alarm systems, when the engine starts the FOB becomes inactive. Therefore, when you start the car, you would need to use the key to unlock the door, but it would still be the FOB. I didn't like that idea cause then you loose the whole keyless entry....lol.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
who dat lil kid?

I recently got the Python 990 installed and its GREAT. If you don' know, Python, Viper, and Clifford are all made by DEI. Same exact alarm, just different brand depending where you are located.

With the 990, which is the 1 mile range 2way LCD pager with remote, its great. Hood,trunk, and door triggers. Motion and Shock sensors. The best part, you don't have to buy a window module to keep your windows feature rolling them down. Here's the kicker off that, you can program the alarm to tap into the driver's door to roll the windows down and UP! In all, I love the remote start and rolling my windows up and down from distance!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by buste2
I recently got the Python 990 installed and its GREAT. If you don' know, Python, Viper, and Clifford are all made by DEI. Same exact alarm, just different brand depending where you are located.

With the 990, which is the 1 mile range 2way LCD pager with remote, its great. Hood,trunk, and door triggers. Motion and Shock sensors. The best part, you don't have to buy a window module to keep your windows feature rolling them down. Here's the kicker off that, you can program the alarm to tap into the driver's door to roll the windows down and UP! In all, I love the remote start and rolling my windows up and down from distance!
The guy also did tell me about the window up and down too on the one i was looking at! Where did you get that installed cause the only place i know around me that sells Python is Circuit City?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Racer

I've got an alarm/remotestart by a DEI company (won't say which one). Mine was available with the window up/down feature, but apparently he was really tight on space to hook that part up, so I decided to just use the stock fob for that (i previously installed the window-up module by kp technologies). I tried using the stock fob for the window up/down right after the alarm install, and it worked great. Just that in the summer months, I'll have to carry the stock fob around with me if I want to do the window up/down feature. No biggie.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned

what about the "auto relock" features which activates after the doors aren't open for a specific time after hitting the "unlock" button?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

What I forgot to mention to is that I actually have a TL. I figure I'll ask here as well since both TL and TSX stock alarms are identical.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Racer

The auto lock feature that locks the door after you shut the door and don't lock or open the door after a certain amount of time, does not work anymore. I only have to glance down at my 2-way remote to see if the door is locked or unlocked.

It does, however, auto-lock when the car starts or starts moving, and auto-unlock when I take the key out.

Oh, I forgot to mention mine is a 2-way paging alarm/remotestart.

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
what about the "auto relock" features which activates after the doors aren't open for a specific time after hitting the "unlock" button?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
The guy also did tell me about the window up and down too on the one i was looking at! Where did you get that installed cause the only place i know around me that sells Python is Circuit City?

If i remember right, Python - Circuit City, Viper - Best Buy, Car Toys and other stereo shops sell whatever they want. I had my installed by a friend which saved me a lot.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by JayRoam
I've got an alarm/remotestart by a DEI company (won't say which one). Mine was available with the window up/down feature, but apparently he was really tight on space to hook that part up, so I decided to just use the stock fob for that (i previously installed the window-up module by kp technologies). I tried using the stock fob for the window up/down right after the alarm install, and it worked great. Just that in the summer months, I'll have to carry the stock fob around with me if I want to do the window up/down feature. No biggie.

If your car supports rolling your windows down and up through the driver's key hole, then your installer was just lazy. It is just two wires you have to run, which is also needed to arm and disarm the factory alarm to go along with the aftermarket alarm. If that's the case you didn't hook those two wires up at all, I really recommend checking your alarm for errors, aka remote starting without the factory alarm going off, unarming the alarm and check if you can start your car with the key. There's more but thats mainly the big ones.

Actually to make it easier, double check your alarm brain and see if the red harness was used, if its not, you really have a problem then
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
who dat lil kid?

The auto lock feature that locks the door after you shut the door and don't lock or open the door after a certain amount of time, does not work anymore. I only have to glance down at my 2-way remote to see if the door is locked or unlocked.

It does, however, auto-lock when the car starts or starts moving, and auto-unlock when I take the key out.

If you really want that feature for your aftermarket alarm, have your installer set your alarm for Passive Arming. Which will, if you don't open your door within 30 seconds, it will arm automatically. HOWEVER, I don't recommend this if you're not careful. You can easily leave your keys in the car and once you close the door, it will arm itself within 30 seconds
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
^^^^^ Can anyone provide inputs on this? I too want to install an aftermarket alarm, but don't don't want to lose all the goodies that comes with the stock alarm.

I have an Audiovox two way alarm with remote start, and my stock alarm still works the same. Nothing is lost. The only thing is you have to use one remote or the other. I can't lock with one and open with the other. Whatever I lock with I have to open with.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I have an Audiovox two way alarm with remote start, and my stock alarm still works the same. Nothing is lost. The only thing is you have to use one remote or the other. I can't lock with one and open with the other. Whatever I lock with I have to open with.

This is the same for DEI alarms also. You can only use one of the two.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

You can have this programmed in your programing setup. My autolock setup does not work with my two way alarm either, but will still work if I use the OEM remote instead.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
NA

I have the Clifford G4 Solaris remote start/alarm and it works great. It's meant to work for manual transmissions.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Racer

If you really want that feature for your aftermarket alarm, have your installer set your alarm for Passive Arming. Which will, if you don't open your door within 30 seconds, it will arm automatically. HOWEVER, I don't recommend this if you're not careful. You can easily leave your keys in the car and once you close the door, it will arm itself within 30 seconds
I know. I was scared of that too! I'm cool with just looking at my remote to check if I locked armed and locked the car. Satisfies my obsessive compulsive disorder. hahahha

If your car supports rolling your windows down and up through the driver's key hole, then your installer was just lazy. It is just two wires you have to run, which is also needed to arm and disarm the factory alarm to go along with the aftermarket alarm. If that's the case you didn't hook those two wires up at all, I really recommend checking your alarm for errors, aka remote starting without the factory alarm going off, unarming the alarm and check if you can start your car with the key. There's more but thats mainly the big ones.

Actually to make it easier, double check your alarm brain and see if the red harness was used, if its not, you really have a problem then
No, I haven't had any of the errors you mentioned. I definitely would have taken the car back to him! I'm probably going to be talking to him soon since he does a lot of work for friends' cars. He's really anal and detailed. Really clean installs.

One thing is that sometimes my alarm acts strange when I'm near certain Walgreens stores. My sister has had the same weird issues around Walgreens too but she has a regular 1-way remote start/alarm.

Originally Posted by tsxy87
I have the Clifford G4 Solaris remote start/alarm and it works great. It's meant to work for manual transmissions.

Mine's a manual too. I think an installer can make most remote start/alarms work for manuals, right? Cool thing about mine is that he didn't need to leave a key in my car. My friends have previous versions that needed keys left in the car.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 AM
who dat lil kid?

I know. I was scared of that too! I'm cool with just looking at my remote to check if I locked armed and locked the car. Satisfies my obsessive compulsive disorder. hahahha

No, I haven't had any of the errors you mentioned. I definitely would have taken the car back to him! I'm probably going to be talking to him soon since he does a lot of work for friends' cars. He's really anal and detailed. Really clean installs.

One thing is that sometimes my alarm acts strange when I'm near certain Walgreens stores. My sister has had the same weird issues around Walgreens too but she has a regular 1-way remote start/alarm.

Mine's a manual too. I think an installer can make most remote start/alarms work for manuals, right? Cool thing about mine is that he didn't need to leave a key in my car. My friends have previous versions that needed keys left in the car.

I would be VERY careful about the remote start module you're using. That module records your key code and repeats it without having to place a key in the box. HOWEVER, the failure rate on those are HORRIBLE! They WILL go bad on you and it can cause your car not to start EVEN with the key! Highly recommend for anyone getting a remote start to use the module that requires a key and just get the installer to damage the key also just in case.