Aftermarket intakes=fail smog in Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket intakes=fail smog in Cali?

Hey, I own a 2004 TSX and I have an Injen SP1431P intake. I took it to a local smog place a buddy recommended and to my surprise the car failed the smog due to the "visual inspection" of an aftermarket intake. I didn't actually read why it had failed until I got home. The guy told me that it just simply didn't pass, but he did mention that the intake didn't have a C.A.R.B. plaque or plate on it and that he wasn't going to pass my smog until I put back my stock intake. After doing some research and contacting Natalie over at Injen she sent me a CARB sticker for my intake. Now here it's where it get's crazy.

I went back to the smog place and I told him that I was able to get Injen to send me a CARB sticker and that I was going to bring my car back to get passed. Well, the douche told me he wasn't going to pass it regardless of a sticker since it didn't came bolted or etched to the intake from factory and that it could possibly be fake. I was pissed that this jerk off wouldn't pass my car just because of a stupid sticker and it actually passed the smog test. I am now waiting for the sticker and will take it back with the letter from Injen and I will talk to the owner of the place this time and get this taken care of. My question to you guys that have intakes in Cali, how the hell do you guys pass smog? BTW, I did my research and all aftermarket intakes and what nots only include a sticker and was confirmed by Natalie at Injen, who told me the same thing. The AEM comes with a factory CARB sticker and it's not etched nor bolted. I think this guy just wanted to be a dick.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
He can fail you because your car isn't stock. That's the law. It's completely his prerogative.

But, he could've been nice and passed you, since a CAI has no bearing on emissions.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The smog check center could be nice and look up the aftermarket device to check for C.A.R.B. approval. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
But in situations like yourself or with law enforcement, I keep a copy of it in my glove box.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont think they can just fail u just bc your car isnt stock.

As long as you have a carb legal sticker for that said aftermarket part .. he/she , the smog tech, has to pass it assuming CARB sticker is legit. other wise companies woudlnt waste their time and money trying to get their product CARB legal.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
i dont think they can just fail u just bc your car isnt stock.

As long as you have a carb legal sticker for that said aftermarket part .. he/she , the smog tech, has to pass it assuming CARB sticker is legit. other wise companies woudlnt waste their time and money trying to get their product CARB legal.
I agree, even on the CA ARB website it states that the intake has no bearing on the car passing or failing a smog test. I will print this out and take it to the Smog location tomorrow along with the print out of the EO number, wish me luck
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM
L.A. > the rest

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
F*ck him!!!
now that u got ur carb sticker take it somewhere else & point it out.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Just take it somewhere else. The guy clearly is taking his job waaaay too seriously and too ignorant to know what's right and wrong.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Just take it somewhere else. The guy clearly is taking his job waaaay too seriously and too ignorant to know what's right and wrong.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, I finally went back to the original location and I talked to the technician and after calling the California Air Resources Board the guy finally agreed to pass my car for Smog, but only after I installed the extra pipe to make it a CAI instead of short ram, which is how I have it right now. I told him that the sticker with the EO# from Injen was on there and he contacted the CARB and he still wasn't going to pass it, I was like WOW! You is a crazy fucker! I ended up talking to the owner of the place and he told me he needed a letter sicne he is looking at firing the guy since he has had a lot of complaints recently and that he also thinks he is an @$$hole. I told him I would be back and gladly write a letter about that douche bag to get canned. The owner told me he was going to give me a full refund for the work and apologized about his insubordinate employee. I then ended up taking my car to another smog place and I showed them the intake before anything and showed him the sticker with the EO# that Injen gave me and the actual article for the EO# http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-476-5.pdf. The guy told me no problem and just wrote down the EO# of the part on the form I filled out and had no issues what so ever with this new place. I got give a big thanks to Natalie of Injen that got me the EO sticker for the intake and I am glad that I my car passed smog, even though it should have since the beginning, no thanks to that douche, end of rant
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Drifting

I was wondering if you had it at short ram mode; which would give the tech an easy excuse to not pass you. Glad it worked out. I'm up for smog too. I hope my local smog check place doesn't hassle me like they did you; otherwise I'll be posting as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
I was wondering if you had it at short ram mode; which would give the tech an easy excuse to not pass you. Glad it worked out. I'm up for smog too. I hope my local smog check place doesn't hassle me like they did you; otherwise I'll be posting as well.
technically speaking that might not be how they had the intake CARB approved, but it still should have been passed with no issues, especially once you had gotten that sticker

btw from now one though, you know to always get those stickers and put them on somewhere though, for the hassle though
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Get the sticker on your intake (EO#) and tell the technician before he begins and show him your intake. That would be better than having him do the test and pass your car, but fail it due to the visual inspection. I printed the whole CARB EO article and presented that as well to my smog shop that passed the car and the guy made a copy of it for his records.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Did the smog test today and passed! I've been running K&N Typhoon CAI, stock header and exhaust. I didn't say anything about CARB exemption on the K&N.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Did the smog test today and passed! I've been running K&N Typhoon CAI, stock header and exhaust. I didn't say anything about CARB exemption on the K&N.
Sweet, glad you didn't get harassed like I did. That $hit was a pain in the @$$.