Advice about TSX service

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice about TSX service

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination, so when it comes to car repairs I'm very careful not being taken for a ride and try to ask around. I have a 07 TSX which I've had for about a year and a half and have 16k miles. I took it in for A1 service and a realignment to the dealer where I bought the car. During the alignment process, they could not get it to factory specs and asked if they could inspect further.
They said that one of the control arms was bent and would need to be replaced so I thought it would be covered under warranty since it is part of the suspension. The dealer said that if it had broken, then it would be considered a factory defect and would be replaced at no cost but since it was only bent, I would have to pay out of pocket since they don't consider it a factory defect. So now they are asking for A1+alignment+further inspection fee+replacement part+2nd alignment = $800.
When they told me that quote, my heart just about froze. It seems like they are charging me for services that should be under warranty and for alignments not done.
Sorry for rambling on, but I just needed to vent this out.
This has given me alot of stress over something which I considered a small matter.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe try taking it to another shop for a second opinion. Then, if there is a problem, call Acura Customer Service and ask them what the warranty will cover. It seems it should be covered, but who knows.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Instructor

16k miles and a year and a half, you shouldn't be having suspension problems like this, where the alignment is already out of spec. Unless maybe you drive on the moon? Are the roads REALLY bad where you drive?

I second the suggestion of getting another dealer's opinion, and calling Acura customer service and seeing what they say.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

I live in LA county. Roads are pretty good around LA. I called Acura and they said the dealer has discretion to judge the service/warranty job. After arguing semantics with them, because for me bent is broken, but for the dealer is broken is broken, they said they will honor the warranty and fix it. I will probably not return to this dealership in the future and I caution anyone else as well. I heard horror stories from friends and acquintances about this place and I have my own now. This is Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you run the car into a curb? buy it used? CPO?

control arms just don't bend. sounds like something happened to bend it which would be damage and your responsibility to fix. if you got them to cover everything consider yourself lucky.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Either:

1) The control arm is not bent.

2) The control arm was bent when you took delivery -- perhaps was bent while being transported to the dealer -- like during loading or unloading.

3) You hit something hard with the control arm -- like a curb.

Number 2 ought to be covered under warranty. Number 3 would be "damage caused by the owner" and not covered under warranty.

The problem is in determining which of the three is valid. If I were a dealer, I would consider Number 3 to be most likely -- unless I knew of other cars that arrived, at the dealership, with bent control arms. As a dealer, I would also know that many customers do not tell the truth when it comes to requests for warranty work -- and I would have no way of knowing if you were telling the truth or not.

If the tires are wearing evenly, and if the car does not pull, then there is clearly the possibility that the control arm is not bent. In any case, consider just leaving it as -- and keep a close watch on the tires for uneven wear. At least, have another front end mechanic do an alignment -- perhaps without saying anything about the control arm.

Last edited by JimHolloman; 08-27-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Instructor

> A1 + alignment + further inspection fee + replacement part + 2nd alignment

I am afraid that I did not make it clear in my previous post that the dealer is, in my opinion, not being fair with you -- so do get a second opinion before spending any more than necessary at the dealership.