Acura TSX 2004 Driving Performance question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
pia
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura TSX 2004 Driving Performance question

I have recently gotten into an accident where I drove into a ditch, and ended up driving out with one flat tire. Thank god I am fine, but ever since this incident I have had a lot of problems on how my ride drives now. At first, every time I drove the car there was a noise coming from the suspension system. So I changed the axle. The noise went away, but now everytime I drive up to about 66-70mph the steering wheel shakes and sometimes the whole dashboard would shake too. So I got the roaders cut, but the shaking is still there. I also just got new tires..and I am planning on getting an alignment soon. What can possibly be the problem here?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the shaking is occurring at 60-70 while not applying the brakes, having the rotors resurfaced won't help. The issue could be unbalanced tires. If you have a good amount of tread left on the tire have it looked at by a professional. You may also want to take it to a reputable dealer just to be sure you are not throwing money at parts that don't need replacement.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by pia
I have recently gotten into an accident where I drove into a ditch, and ended up driving out with one flat tire. Thank god I am fine, but ever since this incident I have had a lot of problems on how my ride drives now. At first, every time I drove the car there was a noise coming from the suspension system. So I changed the axle. The noise went away, but now everytime I drive up to about 66-70mph the steering wheel shakes and sometimes the whole dashboard would shake too. So I got the roaders cut, but the shaking is still there. I also just got new tires..and I am planning on getting an alignment soon. What can possibly be the problem here?
You probably damaged a lot more than just a tire. There are so many things you could broken, bent, or thrown out of alignment by ending up in a ditch, that a list here is not practical. I'd take it to a good alignment shop and tell then what happened. They may be able to determine what's wrong, if not, try a dealer and tell them the same thing. I'm pretty sure of one thing though, if you're dashboard is shaking on the highway? It's not just the alignment.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
You probably damaged a lot more than just a tire. There are so many things you could broken, bent, or thrown out of alignment by ending up in a ditch, that a list here is not practical. I'd take it to a good alignment shop and tell then what happened. They may be able to determine what's wrong, if not, try a dealer and tell them the same thing. I'm pretty sure of one thing though, if you're dashboard is shaking on the highway? It's not just the alignment.
+1 so many possibilities. Rim could be bent though you would think your tire installer would have found that. Wheel bearing could be damaged as well as upper or lower control arm or knuckle. Agree with going to the alignment shop
Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
The issue could be unbalanced tires.
+1 .. I definitely think it's an imbalance

Start with getting all wheels balanced. Balancing involved the little weights that are attached to the wheel with an adhesive. You'll see them on the outside of the wheel behind the part you normally see. A good tire shop will balance them well and without taking a lot of time. It's also an inexpensive process.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a bent rim.
Just because the tires are balanced doesn't mean the rims aren't bent.
It is possible to balance a tire with a bent rim.
Make sure the ball joints are ok and not loose.