Acura at the top...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:41 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura is Number 1...

in this Consumer Reports survey on how well cars hold up.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 01-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR reports is always consider the benchmark in the industry, FAIR
it's good to know that Acura is on top, even over Lexus.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
OMG! Saabs have fewer problems than BMW or MB!!! This is enlightening...
Old 01-10-2004, 01:41 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Not one Japanese automaker fell into the below average territory, and only 2 domestic makes were in the above average category... a fact that seems to be in synch with most folks' perceptions.

Good to see that all makes seem to be making strides in the right direction though...

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 01-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Hundai's have less problems than BMW, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thats halarious, will have to e-mail this to my BMW crazy best friend who drives a VW, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, should have bought that Honda Prelude I told him to buy, his Passat, being bought as a used, is a `98 model and I think has been in the shop more times than he's let me know, its allready had a new transmission!!, he lives in a different town, so its prob. easy for hiim to take it in and just keep it to himself....

hahahaha, great find
Old 01-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mininsx
Hundai's have less problems than BMW, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thats halarious, will have to e-mail this to my BMW crazy best friend who drives a VW, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, should have bought that Honda Prelude I told him to buy, his Passat, being bought as a used, is a `98 model and I think has been in the shop more times than he's let me know, its allready had a new transmission!!, he lives in a different town, so its prob. easy for hiim to take it in and just keep it to himself....

hahahaha, great find
too bad the thing is..i would much rather drive a problem prone MB than a hyundai even if it costs 3x as much
Old 01-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

so much for the mazda bashing that ppl like to do on forums such as here...only diff of 2 pblms per 100 vehicles according to this one survey so is the honda reliability that is superior to mazda an exagerated misinformation being spread?
Old 01-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Cruisin'

I do not surprise Korean cars over Euro's, cause they use less electronic parts compare to BMW and MB, also Asian car manufacture tend to have higher standard of quality check.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by gilboman
too bad the thing is..i would much rather drive a problem prone MB than a hyundai even if it costs 3x as much
I totally agree with you there....

And good point BHonda, the more simplistic a vehicle is, the less likely it is to have any issues, anyone can agree with that...

Looks like you have to take these things with a grain of salt, I wonder if Acura is at the top just because they prob. produce/sell less cars than some of the other manufactures listed here, if they made/sold more cars, they would possibly be of slightly lower quality and therefore have more problems...

I'm not complaining though that Acura's are low production, I've got the only RSX in my town/county and have had the only one for over two years now........, this is prob. the only good thing about living in the small town I live in...
Old 01-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Can't wait to drive

Small production probably helps ...case in point the article mentioned the Acura RL as being very reliable (when was the last time you saw one on the road ) Being made in Japan probably helps, also...since they incorporate "Just in Time" in their production. Article also mentions the Honda Odyssey in there (last generation). My family has that generation Odyssey and it's still running flawlessly (also made in Japan).
Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 PM
The Voice of Reason

Jaguar? So where is Jaguar?

Jaguar has always been a benchmark of sorts for car problems.

I was riding an elevator in Boston and evesdropping on a couple of other riders extolling the virtues of their Subarus, they each claimed to have had only one problem each but their problems were major engine problems, one had a broken timing belt and head crash, the other one a major oil leak, both cars sounded like they had accumulated less than 100,000 miles. Nevertheless, they professed to love their Subarus because of their reliability. There are lots of anecdotal reports of Subaru head gasket failures over on the Subaru board, strangely none of this makes an appearance on the Consumer Reports charts. The Toyota "engine sludging" doesn't seem to appear on the CR charts, either.

Eurocar owners are usually driven crazy by the electrical poltergeists, but rarely seem to experience major mechanical calamities. OCICBW, etc.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro

"too bad the thing is..i would much rather drive a problem prone MB than a hyundai even if it costs 3x as much"

I believe you mean "I would much rather drive to and from the dealership for repairs in an MB than on a road trip with friends or family in a Hyundai" ?

Personally, I'd sell of either one if someone gave one to me. At least I could sell the MB to a sucker that still thinks MB makes quality cars rather than "prestige ridden" near-junkers (compared to other cars in its class)!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by Arcticcl9
Small production probably helps ...case in point the article mentioned the Acura RL as being very reliable (when was the last time you saw one on the road )
I actually see RLs on the road quite frequently. I don't know why.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro

Re: Acura is Number 1...

Originally posted by Santa Rosa Steve
in this Consumer Reports survey on how well cars hold up.

Santa Rosa Steve
Well if you think the majority of BMW and Lexus owners actually hang on to thier cars for more than 3-4 years, you are mistaken. People who pay for these vehicles usually want the latest and greatest thing, not to keep the same old car around for 10 years. I am guessing that 90% of them never see the end of their factory warranty...
Old 01-11-2004, 07:05 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by jcg878
I actually see RLs on the road quite frequently. I don't know why.
I've just never noticed an Acura RL. Ever. They're just not my kinda car.

I do notice the new Cadillacs but that's because I think they're almost painfuly ugly.

From what I could find on a brief interenet search, about 50% of new Lexus are leased, about 50% of new BMWs, over 70% of the 7-series.

Mostly the people who "pay" for these vehicles aren't, they're renting.

But if someone pays cash, parting with a $26,000 stack of coin is only 1/3 as painful as parting with a $78,000 stack. Also, it's less painful to part with the coin every 12 years than every 3 years.

Electronics age much less gracefully than mechanical components and the Japanese are much better at building electronic components than anyone else. I'd consider owning a BMW 7-series for a dozen years as a potential nightmare. But I could actually see driving a Lexus GS430 for a dozen years.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Racer

I've just never noticed an Acura RL. Ever. They're just not my kinda car.
I've seen a couple RLs, but I wouldn't say I noticed them.

Electronics age much less gracefully than mechanical components and the Japanese are much better at building electronic components than anyone else. I'd consider owning a BMW 7-series for a dozen years as a potential nightmare. But I could actually see driving a Lexus GS430 for a dozen years.
IME, Japanese cars are more conservative about fancy electronic features. Don't domestics and MBs tend to have the latest and greatest gizmos, which frequently fail because they're a little too cutting-edge?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
IME, Japanese cars are more conservative about fancy electronic features. Don't domestics and MBs tend to have the latest and greatest gizmos, which frequently fail because they're a little too cutting-edge? [/B][/QUOTE]

Haven't we all at one point or another bought some high tech toy with all sorts of features, and then end up just using very few of them?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Don't listen to me.

I don't know. The TSX has the best and most state of the are Navi system. I just came from the LA car show and none of the tech on the Navi really compares to the TSX.

But they do have a lot of cool other gadgets.