Acura Service: It is a higher standard

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Service: It is a higher standard

One of the reasons that I bought an Acura was the reputation for reliability and service. I bought an '06 TSX last month from Spitzer Acura in Pittsburgh. The purchase experience was very good compared to many dealerships that I've been to. No pressure, straight answers, and none of the usual tricks. For example, they usually start by trying to get a monthly payment range out of you. My sales person didn't even mention it until we got way into the negotiations. At one point, she almost applogetically asked if I had a limit. I said that I usually work with the price of the car (not the payments), to which she quickly replied, "yes, that's what I figured - I just wanted to be sure." It was as if she was trying very hard not to be a stereotypical car sales person. They also bent over backwards to truck my car in quickly, even after I changed my mind about the interior color.

Unfortunately, I had two issues with the car: it was slightly out of alignment upon delivery, and one of the tires was slowly leaking air. From what I've read in several threads here, the left-pull and steering wheel alignment issue is a common one for a new TSX, and often takes a number of tries to fix. I scheduled an appointment with the dealership and took it in today. They were very courteous and quickly got me into my loaner and out the door. My previous GM and Nissan dealers didn't give out loaners, so that was very convenient. Ironically, the loaner had the same alignment symptoms!

Two hours later, they called me back to say the car was done. The tire was leaking air because I ran over a screw at some point, so they patched it (and even gave me the screw). The alignment was fixed and is now straight as an arrow. I also asked them to take off the chrome "Spitzer" badge from the back of the car, which they did without argument. They also washed the car. All of it was at no cost of course (even the tire patch, which may not even be under warranty, since they are coverd by the tire manufacturer). Thinking back to some of the service horror stories that I've had in the past, it was very refreshing to have such a good experience. Let's hope they don't see me until the first oil change!

Chris
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to hear.

The GM and Toyota dealerships I've been to have always been fine for me too, so it's a matter of luck in a way. In other words, I wouldn't expect all Acura dealerships to be great.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

It's awesome to hear about a good experience - right on! My first one was much less than stellar. The Acura store where I bought also runs a large Honda store across the street, so I can't say I was overly surprised. I generally receive far better treatment at my local GMC store and will definitely be visiting other stores for any warranty work on the Acura. Nonetheless, it's good that you've found a place that emphasizes service.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds like that dealership is a keeper. I've also have some great service from Orange Park Acura here in Florida. I took mine in for rattle problems and the tech even went with me on a 30 minute drive to isolate them. They ended up replacing my whole glove box and gave me some extra push clips for under the front bumper. They also offer the wash but really don't trust them to do a great job, don't need swirls. Anyway, glad you had a great experience Oh, and welcome to AZ
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Faster, please.

If that's the only problem you have with the car I'm sure you'll retain that good feeling. If other things start going wrong with it though they'll probably start the bs. By the last visit I had to my dealer for work under warranty the tech basically yelled at me and implied that it was my fault that the clutch was squeaking (after he had replaced the master cylinder a month before). Good luck!

The service managers were usually pretty accomodating though.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I'm glad Spitzer has changed since they moved. Their former Mazda dealership in Monroeville was a NIGHTMARE a decade ago. I purchased a '94 Navajo used, that still was under factory warranty, but they played around with a leaky sunroof long enough that the warranty expired, and then tried to charge me for it. And on top of it, didn't actually fix the damn thing. Luckily, Mazda USA reimbursed me and told me to go to Don Allen Mazda in Shadyside...and they fixed it under warranty as per Mazda USA. It was absolutely ridiculous...It soured me on Spitzer. From what I hear, their Toyota service in Monroeville is pretty woeful too.

My boss has an MDX from Spitzer that she bought while they were still in Monroeville, and raves about their service. My dealer has been great so far too (Smail of Greensburg).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's nice to see you're getting good service.

I've also often praised my dealership for their great service, well it just turned out that the service manager and parts manager were awarded in Quebec for their great work. I guess I'm also lucky.