Acura: A New Benchmark For Luxury-sport Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Acura: A New Benchmark For Luxury-sport Cars

Acura has come a long way. And in the next couple of years it will beat traditional German luxury-car manufacturers like Audi in virtually every aspect.

The new TSX, for instance, is a tough competitor for the BMW 3-series and Audi A4. I actually prefer the TSX myself. The Acura doesn't feel as rough as the Germans while it still handles very precisely. The TSX also boasts a more ample cabin than the
Teutonic rivals. I've never liked the fact the C-Class, the 3-series and the A4 from Mercedes, BMW and Audi, cosecutively, have cramped cockpits. When it comes to style, the Acura is also a winner, with its clean, sporty yet precious outside shape and welcoming interior. Any doubt? Just ask the Germans. I was in Düsseldorf, Germany, during the month of July and was amazed with the number of Acura TSX's I saw over there (where they are sold as Honda Accord and comes in Wagon version as well).

Now the all-new 2004 Acura TL: what a beauty! Honda Motor Co. has done a great job pulling it apart from the cousin Accord and giving it a soul of its own. There's no doubt it will sell overhere like hotcakes. It will beat the Audi A6 in every aspect and probably leave the 5-series in the dust (by the way, that BMW new design school will probably sink its cars itself). Moreover, few car makers beat Honda/Acura's craftsmanship quality nowadays.

The tired current-gen Acura RL first introduced in '96 will be replaced in mid-2004 by an all-new RL. With the new TL being more upscale, added by the pressure that the Honda Legend is having in Europe from more up-to-date competitors, there's no doubt Acura will aim its new RL at the likes of the Audi A8. Rumors say it will be built with an all-aluminum body and be available in 4-wheel-drive option.

The Acura MDX SUV is a winner. I'm glad Acura will discontinue the CL coupe after this model year. It looks too much like its sibling Accord coupe.

HOWEVER, Acura needs to do two things in order to be a major player in the luxury car arena. First, it definitely needs to take the dull, cheap-looking, Honda Civic-based RSX out its lineup. Don't get me wrong, the RSX is an excellent car, but would be better suited with a Honda Integra badge (as it actually is in Europe, Asia and Australia).

Also, it MUST create a V-8 engine to be available in the next-gen RL and NSX sports couple. I've heard rumors that Honda might borrow an 8-cylinder engine from GM, which is not hard to believe since some Saturn Vue SUV's are already using a Honda powerplant. This could turn possible buyers away from Acura. Personally, I wouldn't by a luxury import with a cheap, low-tech GM engine.
For those who don't know it, Honda has built for almost two decades (and still builds it) excellent, state-of-the-art V-12 engines used in its racing cars. These engines made McLarens win several Formula 1 world championships. And today, they have proven to be as powerful and relible as the BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari powerplants that live in those superb Formula 1 cars.
Honda has the best technology in the world when it comes to engine manufacturing, where it's the world's largest. It is also the 7th largest automaker in the world in terms of output and among the most profitable ones.

Doesn't it make sence for Honda Motor Co. to finally develop its own V-8 powerplant?

Well, I'm sure they will soon develop it. Honda has created a legion of fans all over the world, who, just like me, live, eat and breath their cars and motorcycles. All it matters is that it's doing its homework right and headed in the right direction.
CONGRATULATIONS, ACURA/HONDA!