View Poll Results: [Multi-option] Does your TSX fit a kid well? & Hows the turning circle?
Yes, kid stuff fits fine most of the time.
72.73%
No, I have a bit of annoyance and want for more space.
9.09%
I am happy with the 40ft turning circle in the TSX.
54.55%
I wish I had the 36ft turning circle of an Accord.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Accord Vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accord Vs TSX

Under normal circumstances, I would easily go with the TSX. The inside is nicer, it overall drives better. Four cylinders and six gears. But my wife and I are looking at having a kid, so that fouls things up a little.

For those of you with kids, do you ever wish your trunk was a little bigger (13 ft vs 14 ft) or that the rear leg-room is just a little too small (34.2 in vs 36.8 in)?

Also, are you ever envious of the 36 ft turning circle in the Accord?

I've seen a lot of threads with similar topics and discussion, but I've noticed that polls get more results than threads.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't have any kids, but it seems to me that to some degree, you may be putting the cart before the horse here. Both cars are close enough in size to render any difference minimal. The turning circle thing is a tempest in a teapot. If you've never had the smaller, then there's no such thing as it being bigger. Like many things in a new to you car, it's at least not even noticeable, at most, something you'd get used to. As far as which is more user friendly from a size standpoint, I'd have to assume that you'd be on your next car by the time is would make any difference, even if you started (your family) today. I'd suggest driving both and I'd be more concerned about things like purchase price, potential for resale, dealer availability, type of driving you do, etc. FWIW, unless you do a great deal of highway driving, I'd vote for a new hybrid Accord.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Our kids are older now (18 and 19), but we went on quite a journey with respect to how much space we wanted/needed over the years.

The kind of differences you are quoting for space and turning radius will not make any difference with one child. Car seats, and the associated supplies you'll carry with one child will not get any easier with another cubic foot in the trunk. You'll be no better or worse off with one or the other - go with the car you like.

However if you are just now in the market, here are some things to think about (from the guy who went through five different family cars over the years....).

- A baby or a 4+ year old in a 4-door travels well. The hard part is when they are in a stroller. If you are intent on a 4-door sedan, shop for trunks that can carry the stroller you want.
- If you plan on having more than one child, two strollers or a double stroller will not fit in a 4 door sedan very easily, if at all.
- Even with one child, if you plan on taking family trips where you all have luggage you'll run out of space almost immediately in a 4-door (worse if you have to pack a stroller).
- Kids cannot safely sit in the front passenger seat until they are 8-10 (I forget exactly, and the laws may vary). Passenger airbag is dangerous. So, the implication here is if you want to take your child and their two friends on a birthday outing you are out of luck unless there is a viable middle seat belt. This was a bigger imposition than we thought originally. If you have two kids, and two friends along, you're stuck with two cars for that trip.

Our kids are 18 months apart, so we started with a mini-van. When they were out of strollers (3 and 4) we got a Forrester. That was good for a couple years but storage space was an issue. We got an Outback, but when they were 6 and 7 that last comment I made started to get us. There were only two seatbelts in the back seat so not being able to take a friend anywhere was a problem. So we got a Honda Pilot, which we upgraded to an MDX in 06. We still have that car and enjoy it very much.

The moral of my long story is you may want to consider a Pilot/MDX instead. You'll never want for space. The third row gives you plenty of seating options for friends (when the time comes). If you decide to grow you family you have the right car already. When you are dealing with all the logistic issues that come with a baby, the last thing you want to do is fight with your car when it comes to space and convenience. Getting a baby seat in and out is easier in an SUV. Also, that Pilot or MDX can haul just about anything - furniture (and you'll be buying plenty of that as a child grows), toys, bikes, etc. My favorite out of the bunch was the Pilot (05) - it was a work horse and made annoying jobs bearable (also the turning radius was remarkable for a car that size). My wife liked the appointments in the MDX (we got it used with about 35K miles on it). But it's just as practical - we can haul six teenagers in it comfortably.

Or maybe just lease the TSX or Accord for three years and see how you feel then. Sorry for the long post, but we went through a stretch where we replaced the wrong car about every two years and it got frustrating. Best of luck, and congratulations!!

Last edited by 1Louder; 12-30-2013 at 10:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
harabsnyder (12-31-2013), redpoint (04-12-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 1Louder
long post
Thanks for the long post. Really good food for thought. But, if I decide to not to stick with either of these two, at least I know it's feasible.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with most everything said here.

We have one child, and the TSX has been terrific for all purposes for us...including long trips with luggage and even a dog.

I think it comes down to how many kids you will have and how soon. If you stop at one child for now, get the TSX for the added performance. (Read the old car magazine reviews online comparing it with the Accord.) If you plan to have a second child soon, then maybe something else would be helpful for space.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 AM
7th Gear

Thx.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I am actually in similar boat as op. just got a baby and wonder if my 07 tsx is big enough for infant seats. my wife and the baby haven't arrived my country yet so it's still unknown. i am also not sure if the trunk is good for the stroller. i was kinda looking around for suv, q5, rdx, mdx.. almost wanted to pull the trigger but things aren't cheap
Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced

When we bought, we initially were after the new and redesigned Honda Accord Coupe. The kid is grown and gone, so the transporting of kids was never an issue. After seeing the TSX, the more features, its position at that time in the small sports sedan marketplace, and what we considered to be a better value than the Accord since the purchase price comparison between the 2 was almost identical, the purchase decision was easy. We also liked back seat availability for 2 with reasonable comfort for short distances. We have a Pilot when needs of bigger space come into play. The TSX over the past 6 years of ownership have been completely trouble free (its as tight as the day we purchased it) and I consider it to be one of the best cars I have ever owned.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:43 AM
7th Gear

tsx all day
Old 05-26-2014, 12:49 AM
7th Gear

Tsx!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,199 Posts
I think a better choice would be the TSX wagon, RDX, or Honda Crosstour. Huge amount of space, great gas mileage, a lot of flexibility, will grow with your family, similar driving dynamics.

The TSX will work with one kid; but, you will be very tight on space once you add all the baby gear. In my younger days, I never wanted to caught dead in a SUV because it just looked like a taller station wagon to me. Once my kid got about +8 years old, he started to out grow the back seat and it was hard to take +4 folks in the TSX (I'm 6'3" with seat all the way back). It was getting to the point we were having to take two vehicles to his sporting events because of lack of space (sports gear, coolers, lawn chairs, canopy, etc...). I broke down and purchased a used 08 RDX tech because it looked and was very sporty like an awd turbo charged TSX (also added Hondata, ETS intercooler, Eibach lowering springs).

Talk about being blind and now I can see. Having an SUV was a total change in lifestyle for our family with the extra space. We now take longer vacations because we can drive to save money and take more stuff for fun at the beach. We got back into winter vacations because weather is not a factor. We purchased bikes for weekend excursions in/out of town instead of staying around the house.

No matter how much space you think you need; you will always use/need more. I even purchased a roof rack cargo carrier and I can still use more space to carry more stuff. I just purchased a used MDX Adv/Ent w/ 28,000 miles in Feb/14 for the same price as new TSX/RDX and I can't wait to hit the road this summer with it.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Instructor

accord vs. tsx. for 2013-2017 accord. i was going to buy a 2013 acura tsx tech pkg or accord exl navi. both are four cyl and both w navi. when you compare things, you have to compare same features. i ended up with 2013 accord exLeather w navi. i got two kids and both are still on car seat and booster. i need the space. i like tsx more but when comes to resale value.. is another issue. i have 2004 tsx w navi. i took it into carmax and they say they buy it (04 tsx w navi) for 6000 bucks w 140k miles on it and my 2004 civic ex w 155k miles on it for 3500. the tsx was about 11k more than the civic back sept 2003 as 04tsx w navi and civic was jan 2004 as 04 model. in my opinion, cost me 11 more and 9 years later only get 3000 back so i lost extra 8 and the car was 15k less miles too.. out of it.. nah..
so i end up w 2013 accord exLeather navi. i get more value for the money and bigger in size inside and outside. and the tsx was having lots of parts interchangable with the honda parts numbers..side so pay more for the brand only in my opinion. and the value i lost on top..
the 2013 accord exL with lane watch and front collision warning and land departure warning, the size, and the mpg is little more on accord that the new 2013 tsx doesnt have at this time, and cost 4500 more to than the accord but for the 4500 more for the brand, sligly more warranty, hid headlite bulbs and ride little smoother in engine, and i pass on that this time. and the engine new one, not the old engine design, and made in japan for tsx but my tsx had issues when i first got it for first few years and lucky i got extend warranty from acura care. so i dont see any better quality than honda. just the brand..
hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm a kid who still lives at home with his parents. (19) My dad owns a 05 NPB tsx and is the first owner. I'm 5'8 and don't have a problem sitting in the back. When we drive to new York to see family there's usually 3-4 full size suit cases and someother stuff and i t fits no problem. I now own a 04 pwp tsx and when I go out with friends we fit no problem. If you don't have a kid yet or he/she is young you'll have no problem fitting a car seat and stuff in the trunk. And its a acura so it way more luxury then an accord.

This tread is kinda old. I'm bored and looking for things to reply on. I'm going to bed.