Which Accord Version should i Get???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 02:44 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Accord Version should i Get???

Im about to purchase a car in a few weeks. I've narrowed down my choices to the new Honda Accord EX-V6 sedan, or the Acura TSX. These are the things im considering....The Accord has 240 horses, more room, with a spoiler and out the door it costs $25,748. The Acura TSX looks nicer, better rims, a lot more sportier, but is smaller and less power, and $25,900 out the door. I think I want the TSX, but then again i think i want the Accord. I'd really appreciate some help with my decision. One more thing...do you think I can get the TSX cheaper?

-Peter-
Old 08-25-2003, 02:50 AM
More On

Welcome, Peter! Sounds like you know the cars really, really well -- what their natures are, and what the differences are. Considering that, it seems surprising that it's such a toss-up for you. Take your pick. Can't go wrong either way.

Whether you can do better on price of the TSX depends mainly on where you are. That price seems quite good.

P.S. Be ready for some of our dudes to give you a hard time for calling the TSX an "Accord version."
Old 08-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Racer

Did you test drive both of them? You should know easily by that.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:09 AM

Dont get the Accord sedan if anything get the Accord coupe witch has alot of room for a coupe or the tsx.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:45 AM
Inspired

The TSX has the advantages of a better warranty and service (depending on the dealership, not all are better). You also get the TLC (Total Luxury Care) with Acura.

The Accord is a good car, its going for a more mainstream audience which you can tell from its ride/handling. The TSX is a more "niche" market car. It is a bit smaller inside (similar to a Civic sedan interior size, no joke) But IMO, the TSX is just slightly above the Accord for interior materials. The Accord, don't get me wrong is excellent too.

Either way, you can't go wrong, just realize that each car has its strengths and weaknesses.

Accord

Pros:

Acceleration

More interior room

Less expensive

Cons:

Drives "Bigger"

Less "exclusive" (if that matters)

There are more cons, but most are styling related and that is a personal taste issue rather than a form of technical dogma that must be preached

Pick a car depending on your needs and wants. If you're still stumped, ask your friends/spouse/parents/siblings etc for their input, you never know.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:19 AM
Racer

Interior TSX Accord (sedan)
Front Headroom 37.8 in. 38.3 in.
Rear Headroom 37.3 in. 36.8 in.
Front Shoulder Room 55.4 in. 56.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 53.5 in. 56.1 in.
Front Hip Room 54.4 in. 54.6 in.
Rear Hip Room 54.4 in. 53.5 in.
Front Leg Room 42.4 in. 42.6 in.
Rear Leg Room 34.2 in. 36.8 in.

Not sure about anyone else, but i say that's damn close. I don't think the space should matter much, leaving the accord with only a better acceleration, and less expensive. While the TSX provides the warranty, better feel (my opinion), the prestage value (more then the accord), and like kebiddulph said the exclusitivity.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX is a sports/luxury sedan, Accord is a family sedan. Drive both cars on a winding highway and on freeway section where the expansion strips jar you . The Accord sedan is an excellent family sedan, if you can get past the exterior styling. The TSX is a lot better looking, and a lot more fun to drive.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:57 AM
More On

Originally posted by finalheaven
Interior ...... TSX .... Accord (sedan).....

Not sure about anyone else, but i say that's damn close....
Unfortunately I don't think so, FH. Sure, they look close, but I've learned that on stuff like this, 2 or 3 inches is a big difference -- it's indicative of cars that feel quite different. Yes, on some of the dimensions the TSX is bigger, but by much less. Where the Accord is bigger, the differences are 1.5" to 2.6".
Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 AM
such a dirty birdy

I just got a TSX 6MT which we compared closely with the Accord - drove both the EX-L 4cyl w/ 5MT and EX-V6 5AT. While the EX-V6 does have more power, I found that for me the AT took all the fun out of it anyway. I might have been inclined to save a few bucks and just get the Accord if it at least came with a SportShift auto, but it doesn't. Boohoo.

Aside from the different driving characteristics of the two cars, I found the main real-world differences to be the amount of room for backseat passengers (Accord has a few inches more when the driver's seat is adjusted for me) and rearward visibility (Accord slightly better).

Style is completely personal preference, but I don't really care for the new Accord design. I'm sure it will grow on me a bit as there will be a bizillion of them around and Honda will probably fix the rear end in a couple years.

The Accord is the nice, safe, default choice you'll never regret but that probably won't excite you. The TSX makes a few compromises, but rewards you with a wholly more satisfying driving experience - it's the FUN choice.

If I had to sum up in one sentence I'd say the Accord is the car you buy with your head, the TSX is the car you buy with your heart.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Am I missing something? 25900 OTD for a TSX? I am pretty sure CA has sales tax, so there is no possible way that could be correct unless the car is going below invoice, which runs contrary to all reports I have heard. I am thinking that is the quote before taxes, tags, etc. which brings back into play the ~2K price difference commonly found between these two cars.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
Unfortunately I don't think so, FH. Sure, they look close, but I've learned that on stuff like this, 2 or 3 inches is a big difference -- it's indicative of cars that feel quite different. Yes, on some of the dimensions the TSX is bigger, but by much less. Where the Accord is bigger, the differences are 1.5" to 2.6".
I agree completely. I prefer the TSX to the Accord myself, because the TSX is much sharper looking and handles better. But, the size difference is deceptively large. The Accord feels like it has a lot more space, especially in terms of shoulder and hip room.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Gonova, I thought I was the only one who did a double-take on the price. What's the catch? I haven't heard anyone getting a TSX in CA for below $27,500 OTD. So what's the story?

By the way, I was also in the same predicament as you are but the TSX just has so much more style to me than the Accord. True, I paid an extra $2-3k, but I prefer the looks (interior and exterior) of the TSX as well as the way it drives. Do you have a family? Because if you did and have to deal with car seats and the like, then I might point you in the direction of the Accord...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

The other thing to consider is the large number of safety complaints against the 2003 Accord on the NHTSA web-site ... it reads like a horror novel.

Of course the TSX is too new to judge, and TSX owners may luck out. But what is clear to me is that the Accord has safety issues, which I hope they fix with the 2004 model.

Someone had mentioned that these safety issues only affect about 2% of the Accords, but be that as it may, when it happens it can kill you.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Dont get the Accord sedan if anything get the Accord coupe witch has alot of room for a coupe or the tsx.
Adam recommended the TSX!!!!

Sort of left-handed, but a clear recommendation over an Accord.

Well, whatdya know?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by lshenretty
Adam recommended the TSX!!!!

Sort of left-handed, but a clear recommendation over an Accord.

Well, whatdya know?
We're breaking him down....slowly but surely.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Indeed. These cars feel zero alike on fun roads. I think the decision basis is "do I want to have more fun driving, or less fun but have more room for passengers and groceries/a stroller?"
Old 08-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Like It Smooth!

That's the best way to help you decide.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear

Sup guys,

First off Id like to thank you guys for replying to my question. Yes, I honestly do agree that the TSX is much better looking. Oh, and my bad larchmont for calling the TSX an accord version (its just that the TSX is the accord in Japan and Europe), but the TSX is in a pimp class it self. Gonova, I got offered this price ($25,900 otd) by Van Nuys Keyes Acura's sales team leader. A friend of mine is good friends with the team leader..hes the one who hooked me up. I can probably get the same price or better at Santa Monica Acura if I deal with them. My heart is starting to shift more twords the TSX. I know its my preference, but no spoiler or spoiler? Also, do you think they might come out with a S type for the TSX? Well, Thanks again and God bless you all.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by N2honda82
.....Oh, and my bad larchmont for calling the TSX an accord version (its just that the TSX is the accord in Japan and Europe), but the TSX is in a pimp class it self......
Nah, it's fine. And, nobody has flamed you for it -- We must be getting nicer.

A few weeks ago, we had some heated debates about the "fact" that the TSX is "really" an Accord. The discussions were mostly friendly and playful, and actually nobody got too upset about it.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was also deciding between the accord V6 and TSX but I choose the TSX mainly for these reasons:

1) 6SPD Manny
2) 15K '04 TSXs(vs 100K+ Accords?)
3) Sportier
4) Nicer ass

Yes, the V6 power would've been nice but I was willing to sacrifice that for the above reasons.