6MT vs. 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT vs. 5AT

Hey,
Can you guys tell me if the 5AT feels sporty enough? I am trading in a 350Z for the TSX and I am debating on the 6MT or 5AT in a TSX. My Z is a 6MT and I realize there will be a difference in power. I am looking for sporty sedan that will be fun to drive. What are you thoughts 6MT or 5AT? By the way, can you comment on the Navigation System...is it worth the money?
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have a 6MT Non-Navi. This is my first MT car and I must say I am enjoying it each day and I drive in heavy traffic situations. Get the 6MT - I also have a Prelude with a 4AT in it and wish it had the 5MT. I could not justify the $2000 for the navi.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Welcome to the board, saccorator. I'm afraid you'll find that nobody here has any opinions on the transmission choice or the value of the navigation system.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:00 PM
TSX Lover

The Navi is a must!!!! Voice recognition is so cool and it works on the radio/cd player as well as the climate control. Jason, where are you on this one bud? This conversation is right down your line.

I am getting a CG/quartz 6MT navi. I drive a 5MT Vigor now. Saving that, the 5AT in the TSX is very, very nice. The sport shift is far better than the TL (04 or previous). It doesn't upshift on its own like the TL does. I think you would be happy with either.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jcg878
Welcome to the board, saccorator. I'm afraid you'll find that nobody here has any opinions on the transmission choice or the value of the navigation system.
Absolutely. no one here has opinions whatsoever. j/k. Actually, there is a lot on already posted, try doing a search using the search button and you're bound to find a lot. I personally have a 6MT which I absolutely love to pieces. It will depend on whether you have a lot of stop-and-go traffic to weed through on a daily basis (which you know already), but if you are coming from an MT already, you might want to stick with one---but people's experiences with the Sportshift feature might prove differently.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Like all sporty Hondas, the TSX loves to rev and finds most of its power at higher RPMs. I think you'd be happier with the 6sp...it's just more fun to drive. The auto just seems docile in comparison.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For more luxury get the AT, for more sport get the MT.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:21 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by fdl
For more luxury get the AT, for more sport get the MT.
That is a bit of stretch, don't you think? The suspension (i.e. ride) is the same between the MT and the AT, unlike the TL which has a much softer ride on the AT. Motor Trend, thought the TL had a soft ride on both versions, but that is getting off topic.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by prballard
That is a bit of stretch, don't you think? The suspension (i.e. ride) is the same between the MT and the AT, unlike the TL which has a much softer ride on the AT. Motor Trend, thought the TL had a soft ride on both versions, but that is getting off topic.

I dont think its a stretch at all. The 6mt is an option which adds sportiness, and the 5at an option that adds luxury. I never said there was a big difference.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
How does a 5AT add luxury?

Is a 4AT Chevy Aveo more luxurious than a 5MT Aveo?

I see your point in the sense that the 6MT is more fun to drive, but I don't think the tranny is what defines luxury.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:33 PM
VTECSTASY!

Re: 6MT vs. 5AT

Originally posted by saccorator
Hey,
Can you guys tell me if the 5AT feels sporty enough? I am trading in a 350Z for the TSX and I am debating on the 6MT or 5AT in a TSX. My Z is a 6MT and I realize there will be a difference in power. I am looking for sporty sedan that will be fun to drive. What are you thoughts 6MT or 5AT? By the way, can you comment on the Navigation System...is it worth the money?
Thanks for your opinion.
Coming from a 350Z... I think you'd be more suited for the 6MT. Performance will be far from what you are used to but the TSX is a very WELL ROUNDED car. You'll find that it above average or excels in every category (suspension, comfort, value, etc.). I've driven both the 5AT and 6MT, but being partial to a manual tranny, I'd have to stress the 6MT. I hate to say this again, (sorry to all the AT'ers) but the little "umph" that the TSX does have, is watered down with the 5AT. Although still enjoyable, there's nothing like a tranny and clutch.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:42 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

an automatic transmission is essentially a luxury/comfort feature (especially so in europe). Just because it has become a standard here in NA doesnt mean its not a luxury ammenity...just like...power windows. Instead of having to change the gears yourself, this option will change them for you. So it is luxury in this sense.

The 6mt in todays world is an option which gives you more aggressive gearing, lighter weight, etc....so its chosen for reasons of sport, not of economy , etc.

The differences are small, but if you had to categorize them this is the best way IMO. So yes a 5at and 6mt tsx will be virtually the same car, with equal sport and equal luxry. lets say 95% equal. The last 5% goes either sport or luxury/comfort depending on you choise of transmission.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by domn
How does a 5AT add luxury?

Is a 4AT Chevy Aveo more luxurious than a 5MT Aveo?

I see your point in the sense that the 6MT is more fun to drive, but I don't think the tranny is what defines luxury.
In general when someone thinks luxury, they think "automatic transmission". After all, you're buying a luxury car that does everything except steer itself...why would you want to shift your own gears? That's for sports cars. So I don't think he's out of line by saying auto for the luxury and manual for the sport.

A lot of luxury brands actually limit their production of manual transmissions. The RL only comes in auto, as does the A6 4.8, MB AMG. Other brands like Lexus and Infiniti generally start a new model with an auto only and later add the manual as an option for those who lean more toward sport than comfort. The auto just gives the car a more comfortable luxury feel.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fdl
an automatic transmission is essentially a luxury/comfort feature (especially so in europe). Just because it has become a standard here in NA doesnt mean its not a luxury ammenity...just like...power windows. Instead of having to change the gears yourself, this option will change them for you. So it is luxury in this sense.

The 6mt in todays world is an option which gives you more aggressive gearing, lighter weight, etc....so its chosen for reasons of sport, not of economy , etc.

The differences are small, but if you had to categorize them this is the best way IMO. So yes a 5at and 6mt tsx will be virtually the same car, with equal sport and equal luxry. lets say 95% equal. The last 5% goes either sport or luxury/comfort depending on you choise of transmission.
Dang, beat me to it.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

There is not much difference in power between the 5AT and the 6MT. The sequential sportshift in the TSX is awesome and gives you the capability to experience the fun of shifting gears.

As for the navi, it is a must. It is very fun and it impresses passengers when you are by their house and ask the car to find the nearest seafood restaurant.

If you get the navi, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Racer

I have 5 AT but I wish I could have 6 MT. I drive sports shift 80% of the time, but since I have my wife who might drive my TSX from time to time, have to stick with AT.

Go for 6MT if u r the only driver of the car.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sorry I guess it depends on how you look at it, but I just don't equate Auto with luxury. I realize that MB and the more luxurious cars all have Auto's but to me its more about the car itself that defines luxury not the tranny, especially in the TSX.

But I can see why you guys feel that way.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry I guess it depends on how you look at it, but I just don't equate Auto with luxury.
Well, as someone put it with the power windows...would you feel like you had a luxury car if you had to roll up the windows manually? I would say "no". The same with transmissions...if you have to shift the gears manually, you're taking away some of the comfort and convenience of a luxury car. It's sportier and more fun, yes...luxurious, no.

My
Old 12-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Question

The Navi is a must!!!! Voice recognition is so cool and it works on the radio/cd player as well as the climate control. Jason, where are you on this one bud? This conversation is right down your line.

I am getting a CG/quartz 6MT navi. I drive a 5MT Vigor now. Saving that, the 5AT in the TSX is very, very nice. The sport shift is far better than the TL (04 or previous). It doesn't upshift on its own like the TL does. I think you would be happy with either.
I ordered your same setup Oct 17th. (Great minds must think a like!) When do you expect to take delivery?) Thanks!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Well, as someone put it with the power windows...would you feel like you had a luxury car if you had to roll up the windows manually? I would say "no". The same with transmissions...if you have to shift the gears manually, you're taking away some of the comfort and convenience of a luxury car. It's sportier and more fun, yes...luxurious, no.

My
Is a 6MT 5 series a luxo car? IMO Yes, same goes for any MT BMW, Audi, MB, TL etc.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is a 6MT 5 series a luxo car? IMO Yes, same goes for any MT BMW, Audi, MB, TL etc.
No one said a manual can't be a luxury car. What we are saying is an auto is more of a luxury option than a manual. Most luxury buyers value comfort over sport. A manual 5 series is still a luxury car but if you want to totally lux out a 5 series for total comfort, you would opt for the auto.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 PM
TSX Lover

My
Sorry, still a stretch. MT vs. AT does little to define luxury.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:40 PM
TSX Lover

Getting this thing back on topic, lets ask saccorator what he would like to drive. This did start with his question.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:52 PM
such a dirty birdy

No one said a manual can't be a luxury car. What we are saying is an auto is more of a luxury option than a manual. Most luxury buyers value comfort over sport. A manual 5 series is still a luxury car but if you want to totally lux out a 5 series for total comfort, you would opt for the auto.
I'm with the "not-lux" camp on this one. I suppose one can view it as a convenience item, but I personally don't perceive an AT as a "luxury" item. The AT is more of a device for coddling the weak and feeble. Nothing luxurious about that.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by majormojo
The AT is more of a device for coddling the weak and feeble. Nothing luxurious about that.
Larch, here is canidate for quote of month.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Larch, here is canidate for quote of month.
I second that.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Lets define the word luxury.... ->Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

I never said that an auto tranny MAKES a car a luxury vehicle, but it is still a luxury/comfort option. A car that has many of these features woudl then be considered a luxury vehicle.

So for example, a moonroof alone in a car does not make a car luxurious, but its still a luxury feature. Same with leather seats, power windows, etc. These are all features that are added to a car to make it more comfortable. I group the AT in with this. The 6MT on the other hand is added not for comfort in any way, but for performance.

Why would someone chose an auto over a 6mt (Assuming they could drive both)? There is only one reason, because its easier and more comfortable to drive. And in that sense the 5at is a luxury option.

so domn ..and ballard. reread my posts because i never once said that mt vs at DEFINES luxury.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fdl
Lets define the word luxury.... ->Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

I never said that an auto tranny MAKES a car a luxury vehicle, but it is still a luxury/comfort option. A car that has many of these features woudl then be considered a luxury vehicle.

So for example, a moonroof alone in a car does not make a car luxurious, but its still a luxury feature. Same with leather seats, power windows, etc. These are all features that are added to a car to make it more comfortable. I group the AT in with this. The 6MT on the other hand is added not for comfort in any way, but for performance.

Why would someone chose an auto over a 6mt (Assuming they could drive both)? There is only one reason, because its easier and more comfortable to drive. And in that sense the 5at is a luxury option.

Heated seats don't make a lux car...non-heated seats doesn't downgrade a car to non-lux. But it is an option to add to the comfort of a car. An auto doesn't make a lux car...a manual doesn't downgrade a car to non-lux. But it is an option to add to the comfort of a car.

A manual 5 series is a comfortable car. An auto 5 series is a slightly more comfortable car. It's not as much fun...but it's more comfortable.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think basically what fdl was saying was, if you want to pamper yourself in comfort and luxury...get an automatic. If you want something fun and sporty...get a manual.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I've only sat in the cockpit of a Z once, and it was too much sports car for my taste. (I'd probably kill myself driving it, too.) Anyway, if you really liked rowing the gears of the Z, then you'll miss that if you get the TSX AT. However, I'd like to add that the sequential sportshift AT makes the TSX is a lot of fun to drive, despite what the 6MT die-hards say. It's also a ton more convenient (no feathering the clutch in stop-n-go traffic), and if you want the option of having an extra hand free, just pop the lever over to "D" and be done with it.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

WOW! I opened a can of worms, but a good debate can be fun. It seems like the 5AT can be a fun and sport drive when in the sportshift/manumatic mode. I haven't had a chance to drive a 5AT yet.

Is the 5AT as fun and sporty as some have mentioned?

My feeling on whether the 5AT is a luxury option or makes the car a luxury car is this:

The TSX is a car that has added features that other cars in the price range do not include, thus categorizing the car as a luxury car. Whether it be the standard leather seats, heated front seats, dual climate etc., the TSX is still a sports sedan. But, my perception of the 5AT (especially with the sportshift/manumatic mode) is that it is a convenience.

Thanks for all you input. By the way, if you are interested...check out www.my350z.com if you want to get the low down on the problems with the Z. The problems with the TSX seem so minor compared to the Z.