6MT - Shift Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:34 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT - Shift Linkage

Does Honda (the TSX in particular) use rods or cable for their MT's shift linkage?

My friends were asking me some questions about the TSX and I was able to answer everything except for this one.... He was extremely impressed with how smooth Honda is able to make their shifters (RSX, S2000, TSX, etc...) and was wondering if Honda uses rods or cables.

Anyone know?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Racer

tsx uses drive-by-wire throttle control. here is a description about drive-by-wire throttle.

In most cars, a mechanical cable connects the accelerator pedal to the throttle valve. The TSX uses the all-electronic Drive-by-Wire Throttle System,™ first developed for Honda Formula 1 racing engines. It senses accelerator pedal motion, then a computer weighs this data against vehicle speed and engine data in real time and opens the throttle accordingly. The pedal feel is more direct. Acceleration is smooth from rest, and immediate at normal cruising speeds, for quick passing. Because control is more precise, throttle response is quick and sporty. Exhaust emissions are reduced, and performance and fuel economy are improved. Drive-by-wire facilitates communication between the engine and the ABS and Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®), enabling a more coordinated reaction by these systems when they are engaged. In the TSX with automatic transmission, throttle position and shifting are coordinated electronically, so the shift "feel" is more refined.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:50 PM
7th Gear

Drive by wire is the throttle... I don't think it has anything to do with the linkage in the manual gearbox...
Old 07-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like the linkage uses rods. I took a picture of it, I can't tell for sure though.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:11 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

No rods, the linkage in the TSX uses Cables. In fact, all 90-ish modern era Accords use cables shift as well, Preludes too.

Rods were used on the older Civics/Tegs.

Rods transmit more engine/tranny vibration but are cheaper to install. Cables isolate the shifter from the vibration.

Removing the console tunnel you will see the shifter cable ends. They may look like rods but don't be confused. The shifter acutally moves cables in the end to select the gear change.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MrChad
No rods, the linkage in the TSX uses Cables. In fact, all 90-ish modern era Accords use cables shift as well, Preludes too.

Rods were used on the older Civics/Tegs.

Rods transmit more engine/tranny vibration but are cheaper to install. Cables isolate the shifter from the vibration.

Removing the console tunnel you will see the shifter cable ends. They may look like rods but don't be confused. The shifter acutally moves cables in the end to select the gear change.

Do you knwo when they stopped using rods on the integra?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:35 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I'm not really into the Tegs.
I would assume sometime after the 90/91 Tegs.

Buddy of mine has the old Square B18 non-Vtec GS or RS model. It has rods and lacks a hydrolic clutch system.

I think the Si/GSR 99-00 era cars from the EG type platform still used rods aswell. Hence why the short shifters installs under the car not an adapter kit in the car like the Accord/Ludes use.

So my best guess would be the RSX(TEG) would be the first to not use rods but, it may infact still use them. I'm not sure though, never torn down an RSX yet?

I would assume for vibration and packaging Honda Mfg. would likely try and elliminate rod style linkage all together at some point.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:04 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by MrChad
I'm not really into the Tegs.
I would assume sometime after the 90/91 Tegs.
All 3rd gen Integras (94-01) and 4th and 5th gen Civics (92-95, 96-00) were still using the rods as shift linkage.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:34 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by vwong
All 3rd gen Integras (94-01) and 4th and 5th gen Civics (92-95, 96-00) were still using the rods as shift linkage.
But the RSX's have moved to cable?

The reason I ask is because the shifter is so smooth in both the RSX-s and TSX. In my experience with other cable linkages, they were no where close to being this smooth. If Honda is using the same cable linkages as everyone else, but making it THAT much better than them, then I think they're accomplishing a pretty impressive feat!
Old 07-26-2003, 10:04 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Wolfie
But the RSX's have moved to cable?

The reason I ask is because the shifter is so smooth in both the RSX-s and TSX. In my experience with other cable linkages, they were no where close to being this smooth. If Honda is using the same cable linkages as everyone else, but making it THAT much better than them, then I think they're accomplishing a pretty impressive feat!
Well , mine is kinda notchy going into 2nd and 3rd. Still pretty smooth over all i guess.